The Student Room Group

Tips and stories on first day of university?

So I'm starting in September 2014 next year and I was just wondering, what were people's first days like? I'm really looking forward to meeting new people but of course, like many other people, there is an underlying sense of anxiousness. If anyone had any tips about initially moving in that would be great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

this thread should be useful. thanks, OP :smile:
Great idea OP!
As a Fresher this year I'd definitely say talk to everyone you meet! I'm not big on clubbing so I feel like that limited me and I wish I'd made the effort to speak to people at Fresher's Fayre and my course induction.

Don't buy heaps of food. Just a couple of days worth and heavier things that'll keep e.g. pasta, juice. They aren't fun to walk home with.

Spend a day in the city if it's unfamiliar to you. You'll be a godsend when you all get lost on the way back from McD's.
Reply 3
Original post by arson_fire
Take a walk around campus and find where your lectures will be before you start. Far better than panicing when you realise you`re lost 2 minutes before a lecture starts.

Don`t take loads of fresh food with you. Everybody does this and the cupboards and fridges/freezers will be bursting. Just take enough for a day or two and go to the shops in a few days when things calm down.

Don`t be afraid to walk up to people and start talking to them - especially people you wouldn`t normally talk to. Similarly don`t be rude to people who talk to you, even if you wouldn`t normally speak to them. Old favorites include family, exam results, course, hobbies, what societies your joined, where your from etc etc.

Try and speak to everyone in your building & on your course during the first week. Even if you don`t become friends its always good to know folks names.

Don`t take freshers week too seriously. Its not representative of normal uni life. I`ve seen people get upset and want to leave because they haven`t made friends for life on the first day, or think uni life is only non-stop sex and booze.

It`s a totally new experience for (almost) everyone so just relax and try to enjoy it!

and take a door stop with you. Keep your door open (when your in it!) for the first few days - it`s a good way to get to know your flatmates.

Cheers man :smile: I think it's one of those things whereby everybody is in the same boat so it should be ok. I heard something somewhere else about keeping your door open and playing music but to me that seems a bit forced, but I'll definitely take the doorstop!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ChemistryChic
Great idea OP!
As a Fresher this year I'd definitely say talk to everyone you meet! I'm not big on clubbing so I feel like that limited me and I wish I'd made the effort to speak to people at Fresher's Fayre and my course induction.

Don't buy heaps of food. Just a couple of days worth and heavier things that'll keep e.g. pasta, juice. They aren't fun to walk home with.

Spend a day in the city if it's unfamiliar to you. You'll be a godsend when you all get lost on the way back from McD's.

Thanks for the advice :smile: yeah I'm not too big on clubbing either, I'll do it but I don't find it particularly enjoyable or sociable after a while, I much prefer a good night at a few pubs or a couple of live music bars - I just hope there's people who feel the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
First days are always a bit awkward but fun :smile: Keep your door open, chat to as many people as possible and go out and explore the campus/town a bit with your flatmates. Just be prepared to go with the flow. Everyone is in the same boat so don't be afraid to chat to strangers. Also word of advice, do not get too drunk. You don't want to be given a stupid nickname for the next 3 years because of something you did on the first night :lol:
Reply 6
Set light to a school outside.

In my first couple of days in halls, I had a 17th floor flat that looked out over a school. The school went up in flames and I had about twenty people in my room watching it.
Reply 7
Original post by Swanbow
First days are always a bit awkward but fun :smile: Keep your door open, chat to as many people as possible and go out and explore the campus/town a bit with your flatmates. Just be prepared to go with the flow. Everyone is in the same boat so don't be afraid to chat to strangers. Also word of advice, do not get too drunk. You don't want to be given a stupid nickname for the next 3 years because of something you did on the first night :lol:

I heard something somewhere else about keeping your door open and play music, but that seems a little forced. I'll definitely take a door stop though haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by dBousfield
I heard something somewhere else about keeping your door open and play music, but that seems a little forced. I'll definitely take a door stop though haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah keep your door open with a doorstop, playing music is a bit forced but a lot of people actually do it :lol: I had a crate on my bed and offered people a beer which was a nice way to break the ice.
Reply 9
haha quite stressful but its fun :smile: the first night out is great by the way!
Reply 10
I took TSR's advice a bit too literally. I dutifully kept my door open, put some safe music on, made sure I had a plentiful supply of biccies and booze.

I was the first one to move into our flat, the first people who arrived, I was so primed to be in 'flatmate meeting mode' that I shook their hands, reeling off my (rehearsed) intro to myself, and then asked them what courses they were on, where were they from, etc.

When I finally let them get a word in edgeways, they told me they were the wardens. :ashamed2:
Reply 11
Original post by askew116
I took TSR's advice a bit too literally. I dutifully kept my door open, put some safe music on, made sure I had a plentiful supply of biccies and booze.

I was the first one to move into our flat, the first people who arrived, I was so primed to be in 'flatmate meeting mode' that I shook their hands, reeling off my (rehearsed) intro to myself, and then asked them what courses they were on, where were they from, etc.

When I finally let them get a word in edgeways, they told me they were the wardens. :ashamed2:

I admire your organisation but damn that made me laugh haha, at least you were prepared for the next people. I think music might be a good idea as long as it's not something like bring me the horizon (not to everyone's taste)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by dBousfield
I admire your organisation but damn that made me laugh haha, at least you were prepared for the next people. I think music might be a good idea as long as it's not something like bring me the horizon (not to everyone's taste)

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha yeah it was a good ice-breaker story when the flatmates did arrive. And I was playing Queen. :biggrin:
the first day is all about not making a bad impression, so just try to seem as regular as possible. people (and you will do this too) will try to make snap judgements in their head about people just to create the illusion that they know where they might stand with people, and while it becomes apparent that almost all of these are inaccurate within a week or two, you're always better off not putting anything bad in people's heads by accident, so it's better to play it safe.. open up more when you start drinking but remember not to make an ass of yourself :wink:

also, i always hear people say that you should get a box of chocolates or bake a cake for everyone to share on the first day- imo you needn't bother.. 1. you'll feel tense hoping that people like/eat your food 2. some people feel will feel awkward about accepting something from a stranger no matter how small 3. it can seem forced 4. it's not magically going to make people like you

1. seem normal.. then 2. seem fun. keep it simple :smile:
Mine was actually a subdued one, because it hit me hard that I was actually moving away from home. When my parents said goodbye after helping me unpack a little, I finished unpacking my clothes and was waiting for the first person to arrive (I was the first one to arrive in my flat).

We all spoke on fb beforehand so we knew roughly who to see. I had my door shut all the while because there was no door stopper. As soon as I heard the first person to arrive, I had to take a deep breath, open my door and take the walk of courage to the kitchen (where my flatmate was with her mum) to meet. Was very awkward but after a minute or so of talking to my flatmate and mum, I felt kind of at ease!

Then the other four flatmates came one by one within an hours space, met them all while they were unpacking in their room.

For the night though, we were doing shots and invited the next door flat over for a house party! Oh yeah and one of my flatmates threw up outside, hahaha.

To sum up, it's a very nervous moment, but once you get over that 'barrier', then you will feel at ease.
Reply 15
Also starting in September 2014, I have an associated question. I've heard a lot about all the drinking that goes on at university, and I personally don't drink. I've had lots of people try and convince me, and while for the most part I don't care, I am worried that it might make it hard to meet people and make me look weird. Any opinions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by NinjaSheep
Also starting in September 2014, I have an associated question. I've heard a lot about all the drinking that goes on at university, and I personally don't drink. I've had lots of people try and convince me, and while for the most part I don't care, I am worried that it might make it hard to meet people and make me look weird. Any opinions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A girl in our flat didn't drink. She still came out with us and had a great time. Just be friendly and try join in with stuff and you'll be fine :smile: Freshers week might be a little too centred on alcohol but trust me it dies down a lot after that.
Reply 17
Thanks, that's reassuring :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaSheep

Posted from TSR Mobile

The first couple of weeks (infact probably I'd go as far to say as the first month) there will be flat parties, lots of clubbing and going out. I avoided it pretty much all of it. In hindsight I wish I'd gone just to see and get myself out there. I know now plenty of people who were wild party goers in Freshers but have now settled and go out at most once or twice a week. I wish I hadn't made such rash judgements in Freshers now.

I'd also extend that advice to the OP - people will be nervous and the freedom of Fresher's week will make them behave differently. Definitely don't judge anyone on the impressions of them in Freshers - they may be the most studious person you'll ever meet when classes start.
Reply 19
Don't do what my flatmate did and hug my other flatmate's mum thinking that she's also a flatmate.

Quick Reply