The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucy96
Do any of you think you'll do a PhD? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My dad asked me this recently, and I basically said 'Yes, I want to be at uni for as long as possible' haha. But as others have said, it depends how interested I am in the course while studying it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7161
Original post by usycool1
Not really sure, but have a look at this example for inspiration: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Optometry_1

It has some comments at the bottom which may be useful. :yes:

I thought older past paper questions from the same exam board were very useful. The spec has changed, of course, but if you browse through older papers, you should be able to find questions that are relevant. You'll need to browse for them online though as they're not on the exam boards website. :smile:

I meant generally what should be on a PS

Posted from TSR Mobile
here  we  go  again...\text{here \ we \ go \ again...}
Original post by Qari
I meant generally what should be on a PS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why you want to study your subject, what about it interests you (if anything specific), things you've done to pursue your interest in the subject (extra reading, courses), work experience, and a little bit on hobbies and extra curricular stuff :smile: Everyone you ask will give you a different list tbh...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by keromedic
here  we  go  again...\text{here \ we \ go \ again...}

Here we go again? :tongue:

Btw, while I'm here, you can't have a usertitle in a different language. :no: You may want to change it before another mod sees :ninja:
Reply 7165
Original post by usycool1
Good idea :teeth: Ah damn. :angry: Good, they're not as good as 4/5/6, but they're still very good. :teeth: Hmm...good question. :beard: Probably 5 tbh...maybe 6... :beard:

I know right :awesome:

Hopefully a week! :biggrin: Haha, it's such a good way to think about it :cool::tongue:
I'm excited to see them :teeth: V definitely lived up to the hype. I've heard loads of good things about VI.... :awesome:

:love:

Awesome! :awesome: You must be so excited :biggrin: Indeed! :tongue:
Reply 7166
Original post by OllieGCSEs
Why you want to study your subject, what about it interests you (if anything specific), things you've done to pursue your interest in the subject (extra reading, courses), work experience, and a little bit on hobbies and extra curricular stuff :smile: Everyone you ask will give you a different list tbh...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have mentioned I play sport but I also read books should I mention that as in to balance that I don't always play sport?
Reply 7167
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Shoot me. :mad:
Reply 7168
Original post by Pandora.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Shoot me. :mad:

You don't seem happy :frown:
Whats up? :console:
Reply 7169
Original post by Prinz655
You don't seem happy :frown:
Whats up? :console:
I'm just worrying whether I'm making the right choice in choosing to do English.. :redface: sometimes I love it, but sometimes I wonder if I should be doing something else. It's hard when I don't know what career path to take. :sad:
I'm just worrying whether I'm making the right choice in choosing to do English.. :redface: sometimes I love it, but sometimes I wonder if I should be doing something else. It's hard when I don't know what career path to take. :sad:

I think this is a common feeling. I have it myself a lot recently. I don't have any actual advice for you (I'm no good at that sort of thing) but just know you're not alone - and obviously also that we're all here for you. :hugs:

How is everybody? Good day? :smile:
Reply 7171
Original post by ethery
I think this is a common feeling. I have it myself a lot recently. I don't have any actual advice for you (I'm no good at that sort of thing) but just know you're not alone - and obviously also that we're all here for you. :hugs:

How is everybody? Good day? :smile:
It's reassuring to know its not just me (though I wish we were all a lot more confident!). :hugs: I guess it's just such a big decision that it's quite nerve wracking to think it might be wrong. Either way, I'm sure I won't be closing the door to any careers I would want by choosing English haha. :biggrin:

Could have been better, but then again college never pleases me :biggrin: How about you? :h:
It's reassuring to know its not just me (though I wish we were all a lot more confident!). :hugs: I guess it's just such a big decision that it's quite nerve wracking to think it might be wrong. Either way, I'm sure I won't be closing the door to any careers I would want by choosing English haha. :biggrin:

Could have been better, but then again college never pleases me :biggrin: How about you? :h:

It definitely isn't just you, try not to worry :hugs: at least English is a solid, respectable degree that leaves you with so many options! You're clearly very passionate about the subject as well as being extremely talented :smile:

It's a worry for me as I'm applying for Anthropology...a degree most people have never heard of :colondollar: and the jobs I'd love are virtually impossible to obtain :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly! It's a lot of money to spend on doing something you don't always feel 100% about doing. That's what I'm telling myself. If I do end up hating it, I don't even have to stay in sciences afterwards. How many people with a chemistry degree actually do? Realistically I'll probably go into banking or something. :tongue:

Average. Had a funny free period, but the lessons were on the dull side haha
Reply 7174
Original post by Lucy96
It definitely isn't just you, try not to worry :hugs: at least English is a solid, respectable degree that leaves you with so many options! You're clearly very passionate about the subject as well as being extremely talented :smile:

It's a worry for me as I'm applying for Anthropology...a degree most people have never heard of :colondollar: and the jobs I'd love are virtually impossible to obtain :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's very true - I think when you hear people claiming English is a useless degree it starts to rub off haha. :tongue: Aw, thank you :colondollar:

For what its worth, I've always thought Anthropology would be an really interesting degree! I think I considered it once a few years ago. What sort of jobs are you thinking of? Determination can get you a lot further than just having the degree. :yep:
That's very true - I think when you hear people claiming English is a useless degree it starts to rub off haha. :tongue: Aw, thank you :colondollar:

For what its worth, I've always thought Anthropology would be an really interesting degree! I think I considered it once a few years ago. What sort of jobs are you thinking of? Determination can get you a lot further than just having the degree. :yep:

It's absolutely ridiculous! It annoys me so much, people can be so ignorant, it's the same with degrees like History! This forum doesn't help as it's full of people who have the warped opinion that only sciences and vocational degrees are worth doing...it's nonsense :tongue: You're welcome :biggrin:

Hehe aww :colondollar: I know I'll love it so I'm trying to hold onto that! Ideally I'd like to be a full time forensic anthropologist, but the majority of people who get those jobs are usually lecturers who do it as a side job, for obvious reasons. I think there are only about 100 full time forensic anthropologists in the whole of America :redface: but I'd love to be a scientist in that field, perhaps a zooarcheologist/anthrozoologist/primatologist/palaeoanthropologist :tongue: Very true :h:
Original post by justanotherindigo
Omg, I absolutely ADORE A Thousand Splendid Suns! :biggrin: I've also read two books from Philip Pullmans 'His Dark Materials' trilogy (The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass). I enjoy classics like Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (easily surpasses Austin!), Anna Karenina etc etc and modern lit too, like A Streetcar Named Desire, The Great Gatsby etc. Oh, I also like plays by Oscar Wilde. :wink:

It's amazing isn't it?!! :biggrin: Exceptional writing at its best. Do you like Malorie Blackman???Or Benjamin Zephania (can't spell his name :redface:) I read the whole trilogy in year 6 I think.
:smile: Amen to that haha. Of course she does, I mean the writing of Austin is alright but does not even come close to Bronte! Its like how EL James just doesn't compare to Stephany Mayer. OMG! The classics are ze best, I love them all :h: Who doesn't! :tongue:
Oscar Wild is simply :daydreaming: I love the Great Gatsby hehe oh and yes just yes yes yes :mmm: all fabulosa haha!!! :wink:

Original post by Blueray2
A single dench hench man in the gym alone, busting out 1000kg on each arm :colone:

:rofl:
Original post by lucine.B
It's amazing isn't it?!! :biggrin: Exceptional writing at its best. Do you like Malorie Blackman???Or Benjamin Zephania (can't spell his name :redface:) I read the whole trilogy in year 6 I think.
:smile: Amen to that haha. Of course she does, I mean the writing of Austin is alright but does not even come close to Bronte! Its like how EL James just doesn't compare to Stephany Mayer. OMG! The classics are ze best, I love them all :h: Who doesn't! :tongue:
Oscar Wild is simply :daydreaming: I love the Great Gatsby hehe oh and yes just yes yes yes :mmm: all fabulosa haha!!! :wink:

:rofl:

Elo :smile: this has nothing to do with anything
Don't want to sound creepy but I was wondering if you could do my survey for my EPQ

Thanks

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CNH9LG9
Original post by Tracy Swissroll
Elo :smile: this has nothing to do with anything
Don't want to sound creepy but I was wondering if you could do my survey for my EPQ

Thanks

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CNH9LG9

Hey! No problem :ahee:
I shall do this ASAP :awesome:
Good luck with your EPQ btw I'm also doing it :smile:
Reply 7179

Don't worry :hugs:
Everything will work out in its own time :smile:

Latest