The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy Work Experience

Hi guys, first time posting on TSR and not entirely sure if I'm doing this right, so you'll have to forgive me!

I'm currently in Year 13 (Lower Sixth) at school but am in the process of trying to sort out work experience. I'm hoping to study Speech and Language Therapy at university and would like to gain some relevant experience for this when given this opportunity. However, I'm not exactly sure what "relevant experience" is. As silly as it sounds.

I have the details for a couple of local trusts and an endless amount of numbers for independent therapists and plan to ring tomorrow in the hope of being able to shadow a Speech and Language Therapist during this time. However, I am aware that this is extremely difficult to do.

So in case that fails, is there any other experience which you would recommend I try to get? Or am I doing the right thing so far?

I've researched starting a Sign Language Course and have experience in volunteering at a mental health nursing home for older people - some of whom have speech and language difficulties either because of their condition or for example, from having a stroke. My brother also has dyspraxia, which is really what got me interested in pursuing this career. But other than all of this and some other volunteering schemes I'm involved in, such as youth groups or acting as a mealtime support worker for hospital patients, I'm stumped!

So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by louisebamber
Hi guys, first time posting on TSR and not entirely sure if I'm doing this right, so you'll have to forgive me!

I'm currently in Year 13 (Lower Sixth) at school but am in the process of trying to sort out work experience. I'm hoping to study Speech and Language Therapy at university and would like to gain some relevant experience for this when given this opportunity. However, I'm not exactly sure what "relevant experience" is. As silly as it sounds.

I have the details for a couple of local trusts and an endless amount of numbers for independent therapists and plan to ring tomorrow in the hope of being able to shadow a Speech and Language Therapist during this time. However, I am aware that this is extremely difficult to do.

So in case that fails, is there any other experience which you would recommend I try to get? Or am I doing the right thing so far?

I've researched starting a Sign Language Course and have experience in volunteering at a mental health nursing home for older people - some of whom have speech and language difficulties either because of their condition or for example, from having a stroke. My brother also has dyspraxia, which is really what got me interested in pursuing this career. But other than all of this and some other volunteering schemes I'm involved in, such as youth groups or acting as a mealtime support worker for hospital patients, I'm stumped!

So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!:smile:

hey, welcome to TSR :smile:

My gf has just graduated and got her first job as an SLT - she's loving it! Sounds like you will too.

She did lots of work experience before applying and it sounds like you're looking at the right stuff. NHS experience is hard to get. Private practice is definitely worth doing (sometimes you can get paid work) and so are homes/clubs for people who've had strokes etc/ youth groups for children with learning difficulties.

Have you found this discussion yet? Might be worth asking these guys what they think.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2391260

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending