The Student Room Group

EPQ or better grades?

Hi there,

I started thinking about my subject title around June ish, it's now November and very behind in writing it. It's stressing me out big time, and is now making me behind in chemistry especially.

I've applied to university and my top choice requires 3A's excluding EPQ. I'm losing motivation considering as none if my universities so far even consider it!

Does anyone know if it would be better to actually get 3A's or to get let's say AAB but an A in EPQ?

My gut feeling at the moment is to just concentrate on my 3 a-levels. I'd love to hear everyone else's views so thank you in advance x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From my experience, better grades.
Reply 2
I suppose AAA is probably better than AAB+a.

How much of the dissertation have you got so far ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charlieejobson
Hi there,

I started thinking about my subject title around June ish, it's now November and very behind in writing it. It's stressing me out big time, and is now making me behind in chemistry especially.

I've applied to university and my top choice requires 3A's excluding EPQ. I'm losing motivation considering as none if my universities so far even consider it!

Does anyone know if it would be better to actually get 3A's or to get let's say AAB but an A in EPQ?

My gut feeling at the moment is to just concentrate on my 3 a-levels. I'd love to hear everyone else's views so thank you in advance x

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're not enjoying it I would recommend dropping it, especially if you feel your A2 grades which your university offer will hinge upon, will suffer. I did my EPQ over the summer holidays so I know the time it can take and I really wouldn't want to do it during school!
Original post by Jkizer

I've done 800 words, most of the research and half way through research review? I'm quite behind!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RadioheadHermie
If you're not enjoying it I would recommend dropping it, especially if you feel your A2 grades which your university offer will hinge upon, will suffer. I did my EPQ over the summer holidays so I know the time it can take and I really wouldn't want to do it during school!

That's the issue :frown: I feel otherwise I'm going to get further and further behind with chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's the issue :frown: I feel otherwise I'm going to get further and further behind with chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would definitely drop it if Its making you get behind! Tbh I enjoyed some aspects of mine like the in depth research but hated the paperwork and writing!
Tailor to what your universities are looking for.
Reply 8
[QUOTE="charlieejobson;45218487"]
Original post by Jkizer

I've done 800 words, most of the research and half way through research review? I'm quite behind!

Posted from TSR Mobile

800 :redface:

Well epq is more of something to help get a convince your firm if you miss your offer, however if your confident with your 3 subjects then drop epq and get back on track.

There's still a fair bit of epq to do after the dissertation including presentation, evaluation and log.
Original post by RadioheadHermie
I would definitely drop it if Its making you get behind! Tbh I enjoyed some aspects of mine like the in depth research but hated the paperwork and writing!

I think I'm going to.. Does anyone know if I have to notify my universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Jkizer;45218810"]

800 :redface:

Well epq is more of something to help get a convince your firm if you miss your offer, however if your confident with your 3 subjects then drop epq and get back on track.

There's still a fair bit of epq to do after the dissertation including presentation, evaluation and log.

Thank you. Even if they say specifically say AAA excluding EPQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your EP doesn't have to be brilliant, most of the marks are on te report which hardly takes much time to fill out, and all you have to do is reiterate what skills you're using.
It won't be part of an offer, but it gives you something to talk about in interviews, and shows that you can do independent work. Presumably you mentioned it on your personal statement?
My advice would be not to drop it- it's meant to be something you're interested in anyway and it just sounds like you're doing too much work on it.
Literally in exactly the same boat... except I haven't started my written report yet :3

I think you might be able to do it, actually. But there's no point if you think it will impact on your other subjects significantly.
Original post by Limebuddhist
Your EP doesn't have to be brilliant, most of the marks are on te report which hardly takes much time to fill out, and all you have to do is reiterate what skills you're using.
It won't be part of an offer, but it gives you something to talk about in interviews, and shows that you can do independent work. Presumably you mentioned it on your personal statement?
My advice would be not to drop it- it's meant to be something you're interested in anyway and it just sounds like you're doing too much work on it.

Wait, so your actual report can be quite superficial and not particularly groundbreaking? I've been worrying that mine is going to be very shallow because I haven't got the time to read all the sources I have found.
Do what you feel. I'm just here to reaffirm that EPQ is very respected (if you get an A etc not a U obviously) and also, here's an interesting point: if you can't do EPQ you may not be up to tough university work because it's a mini dissertation that's why it exists.

Food for thought.
Original post by bettsbubbles
Wait, so your actual report can be quite superficial and not particularly groundbreaking? I've been worrying that mine is going to be very shallow because I haven't got the time to read all the sources I have found.

That's the impression I've been getting from my EPQ lessons; and since the project is your own work you're not marked on being 'right' or 'wrong' just on fluency, planning, research etc

All universities look upon EPQs highly and I'd say it's more interesting, more worthwhile and less time-consuming than another A Level so don't drop it. There's a 130 hour limit - you shouldn't be spending any longer than that on it, anyway.

I've nearly finished my report and I don't think it's brilliant, but the important thing is, I know where I've gone wrong and I can talk about that in my evaluation. One of the reasons they want you to do the EPQ is to discover your weaknesses and show development and independence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

I believe the main log bit weights 40% whereas the other components hold 20%

So in a way, your dissertation could be poor but marks can be salvage. I emphasize the word 'can'. It could be likely that a 'poor' dissertation may have an effect on your quality of presentation, log etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Concentrate on A Levels

And whenever you find yourself free for a bit just do a tiny bit of EPQ without stressing over it and hand whatever you get in. Then technically you're doing it and don't have to notify unis, you might even pass!
Same situation, I'd say keep it. While it's important to get good grades, it's a very valuable thing to have as not that many people do it (I don't think!). Just focus on subjects but if you get some free time spend half an hour on it at a time, over time you'll be surprised at how much work you'll actually get done.

Quick Reply

Latest