The Student Room Group

Going to a university with poor grades + How much is general studies really worth?

zzz
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Oh no!
This is my first post on the site and I'm hoping to find someone who's been in a somewhat similar situation.

I've been thinking my poor grades would make going to a university pointless, but after speaking to a teacher who said its worth setting up the option. I feel its worth checking to see how other people have dealt with these situations.

Last year my results for AS were:

U- Computing
U- Biology
D- IT
D- Psychology (I plan on resitting the paper I got a D on)
B- General Studies

This year I've had to pick up English Language AS and dropped Computing and Biology. I've not had all my predicted grades back but this is what I'd assume they'd be:

C- IT
C- Psychology
B- General Studies
B- English Language AS (Only one I've received).

Would there be a proper reason to get into a university with such poor grades? I've always felt stressed out for different reasons, hated school and only went since I didn't have any other options.

Has anyone else picked up a single AS in their second year and still went to university and done well? I have no clue about universities or what jobs I'd like to do so any help will be appreciated.

You might like to consider foundation degrees as a starting point, but don't drift into applying for university if your heart's not in it. It's an expensive way to be unhappy.
I would re-take some whilst doing your A2 to try and boost them, and maybe apply another year once you have appropriate predicted grades. It's totally dependent on what you set your standards to be.
Reply 3
If you hate school and lack the motivation to get good grades at A-Level, and have no specific interest as to what you want to do at uni..... Is uni really the best idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oh no!
How long do foundation degrees last for and how do they compare to getting to further education?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_degree

A foundation year is an extra year added to the start of a normal degree which is intended to bring people without the relevant qualifications up to the level of those who start at the normal time. On successfully completing your foundation year, you progress normally onto the main course. A foundation degree is a two year degree which is worth less than a normal degree but you can 'top it up' if you do well enough on it by carrying on to the normal third year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending