The Student Room Group

What is the UKMT Senior Team Challenge?

In a moment of desperation, I was asked to participate in this. I'm not exactly sure what it is? More em portably though, I'm not sure what sort of questions will be asked? Are they the same sort of questions as were asked in the maths challenge?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Derp96
In a moment of desperation, I was asked to participate in this. I'm not exactly sure what it is? More em portably though, I'm not sure what sort of questions will be asked? Are they the same sort of questions as were asked in the maths challenge?

Thanks

If you are competing in Norwich tomorrow then you can meet me! More em portably I'll even sign an autograph for you for a modest fee.

http://www.fmnetwork.org.uk/?section=resources&page=stmc_materials
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
It's dire. That is ofcourse when you're stuck next to the speaker of which was turned incredibly loud to accompany people who couldn't hear at the back, and the lady has a sharp creaky voice. Not to mention the fact you have a migraine already, are about to be sick, at the same time as doing maths, which requires you to solve quadratics of terms exceeding multiple thousands, without a calculator. That's my Senior Team Challenge.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
If you are competing in Norwich tomorrow then you can meet me! More em portably I'll even sign an autograph for you for a modest fee.

http://www.fmnetwork.org.uk/?section=resources&page=stmc_materials

Aha, disappointingly, I will be competing in Chippenham. Perhaps you could post that autograph?

Original post by Phichi
It's dire. That is ofcourse when you're stuck next to the speaker of which was turned incredibly loud to accompany people who couldn't hear at the back, and the lady has a sharp creaky voice. Not to mention the fact you have a migraine already, are about to be sick, at the same time as doing maths, which requires you to solve quadratics of terms exceeding multiple thousands, without a calculator. That's my Senior Team Challenge.

Anything in particular you'd recommend brushing up on? Do I need to remember any formulae (cosine rule, quadratic formula, volume of a sphere, etc)?

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Derp96

Anything in particular you'd recommend brushing up on? Do I need to remember any formulae (cosine rule, quadratic formula, volume of a sphere, etc)?

Thanks

You should recognise the Fibonacci numbers.
Reply 5
Original post by Derp96

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just taken part in it for the 3rd time. It's really fun and it's not really like the maths you get in A-level, it mostly uses basic GCSE/AS ideas. It's non calculator so you have to be pretty good at multiplying and dividing large numbers together. The middle round is pretty fun, you get this thing called a crossnumber which is like a crossword, one pair gets down clues one pair gets the across clues.
Reply 6
Original post by Derp96

Thanks

If you want to win, i'd suggest writing down square numbers, cube numbers, fibonacci numbers down on paper at the start of every round, they always come in handy. Obviously you are expected to know every formulae under the sun, involving maths from GCSE to AS level, you won't get any A2 level, trig, calculus and such. For example, they are obsessed with polygons, and interior angles.

Quick Reply