The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Durham vs Bristol

Hi everyone, I'm an international student thinking of doing an exchange in the UK. I would like to be in a place where I can experience the different sides of England. On one hand, Bristol is a vibrant city, on the other hand, Durham is more historic. Where do you guys think is the perfect place for me to get to know England? I'm kind of introverted but at the same would like to maximise the exposure. Also, can anyone tell me about the accommodation in these two unis? Quality living matters a lot to me.
Durham is ****ing boring and miles away from anything even remotely interesting.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Anniechong
Hi everyone, I'm an international student thinking of doing an exchange in the UK. I would like to be in a place where I can experience the different sides of England. On one hand, Bristol is a vibrant city, on the other hand, Durham is more historic. Where do you guys think is the perfect place for me to get to know England? I'm kind of introverted but at the same would like to maximise the exposure. Also, can anyone tell me about the accommodation in these two unis? Quality living matters a lot to me.

Ask on a Durham forum and they'll tell you their uni is best.
Asking here, people will tell you Bristol is best.

I'd ask that question in more neutral ground.
Reply 3
Original post by RuSSeLLMaGuiRe
Ask on a Durham forum and they'll tell you their uni is best.
Asking here, people will tell you Bristol is best.

I'd ask that question in more neutral ground.

I asked the same question here and in the Durhum forum. Just want to see what the students have got to say about their unis. Can someone tell me how Bristol is? I always heard that Bristol is full of fun but I hope I can know something more concrete about the place.
Reply 4
What subject are you thinking of studying?
Reply 5
Bristol has a lot of history, such as the Wills family who were a huge part of the university. Wills Hall and Wills memorial building are both intertwined with the family and the history of Bristol as a tobacco firm. (I stay at Wills hall and we get little history lessons from our warden at formals)
Durham I have heard is dull for nightlife. One of my friends here lives there and he says frequently there is very little to do. It does have history, but so do most places like Bristol. Bristol is bigger and has a variety of opportunities for all people while Durham with it's size etc. may be more limiting.

(I may be biased but trying to be neutral)

Also depends on course as Durham is better at some courses, Bristol others. E.g. Law is better at Bristol, Economics better at Durham
Reply 6
Original post by marinaim

Also depends on course as Durham is better at some courses, Bristol others. E.g. Law is better at Bristol, Economics better at Durham

Bristol certainly does not have a better undergraduate law programme than Durham. The two are broadly comparable, really (in other words among the best in the country). Bristol's law course has actually had problems the last few years with offers.
Original post by marinaim
Economics better at Durham

It isn't.

I think they only recently introduced a mandatory requirement for maths and Bristol's requirements are still more stringent as you need an a A in A2 modules. Bristol also offers more in the way of econometrics, which is a good litmus test for how challenging a course is.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending