All cardio and no weights makes Jack a dull boy? Watch

AdampskiB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there,

I want to lose fat, so I think the general idea is to burn more calories than what I eat (daily). For workout days, I might consume more food than compared to on non-workout days purely because I can, and it'll help my energy levels whilst studying.

My gym routine will predominately be cardio based to burn those calories. I think some people mention to include weights, too? As it will increase metabolism and continue to burn calories. Does it matter what weight lifting exercises I do? I'm not keen on doing weights, if I had it my way I wouldn't do weights at all. But if it will help me get there quicker I will, I'm just not confident doing squats with barbell or bench press.

My daily calorie count will be 1800-2000 because I'm worried I'll be too tired if I cut too low.

If I have a misconception anywhere, or if anybody has anything they'd like to add for tips, it would be great to highlight them!
Beardbrah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you can get shredded without doing any cardio. How can you enjoy cardio but not weights?
Le Nombre
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HFerguson)
you can get shredded without doing any cardio. How can you enjoy cardio but not weights?
I enjoy cardio a lot more than lifting, dunno why just personal preference. I still lift because I know I need to, but I gain a lot more pleasure from a savage set at swimming training than a particularly tough set of lifting.
Frank the Tankk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Weights...burns just as many calories as cardio and you get the strength (and body) from it.

Be wary about mixing cardio and lifting...mixing the two destroys muscle and you'll need an even bigger calorie intake.
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Frank the Tankk)
Weights...burns just as many calories as cardio and you get the strength (and body) from it.
Well, yes. IF you were lifting weights constantly over a 20 minute period. However, no one does that.
Le Nombre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Be wary about mixing cardio and lifting...mixing the two destroys muscle and you'll need an even bigger calorie intake.
Per minute, but you can do cardio for a lot longer stints though. I've done 5 hours in a 7 hour period as part of pre-season when I was younger, it would be insane to lift for that sort of length of time.
Shawshank
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Le Nombre)
Per minute, but you can do cardio for a lot longer stints though. I've done 5 hours in a 7 hour period as part of pre-season when I was younger, it would be insane to lift for that sort of length of time.
Doing that much cardio is equally insane.
Nichrome
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok, semi-serious post now. It's best to do a mix of cardio and weight training. Like you OP I dislike weight training and prefer cardio, but weight training is very useful indeed. It will help with strength and conditioning, which in turn will allow you to push yourself harder when it comes to doing sports (which are almost always cardio based). Barbell training isn't the only way, you can do things like pullups, press-ups, dumbell exercises, use the leg press if you really dislike squatting etc. etc. It's usually not as effective but better than nothing.

Unfortunately a culture has developed in that you get people who clog up the gym by doing a few curls, a few squats, guzzle a few brotein shakes and think that's what every single persons goal should be regardless of anything else they might be doing, then scoff if you do a cardio workout. Just ignore them and don't get put off. I don't know how many times you go to the gym, but I normally do cardio:weights workouts in a ratio of 3:1, so one of those cardios will be high intensity and one will be low/recovery intensity.
Arturo Bandini
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

lol, what?

somebody give this man a neg
Alpha brah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Arturo Bandini)
lol, what?

somebody give this man a neg
I wish we had neg back just for posts like these

Le Nombre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Shawshank)
Doing that much cardio is equally insane.
It may sound insane, but it is doable (and pros would do more than that). If you lifted for that long you'd be pretty much incapable of shifting anything by the time you got to about the 3rd or 4th hour unless you were taking long breaks. By contrast even at the end of that I could still get within 20 seconds of the times I started off at in the first main set.
Nichrome
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It may sound insane, but it is doable (and pros would do more than that). If you lifted for that long you'd be pretty much incapable of shifting anything by the time you got to about the 3rd or 4th hour unless you were taking long breaks. By contrast even at the end of that I could still get within 20 seconds of the times I started off at in the first main set.
What activity were you doing out of interest?
Le Nombre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nichrome)
What activity were you doing out of interest?
Swimming. The split was something like 2 hours of hard training on intervals, hour off stretching, eating etc., an hour of more technique based drill like stuff, hour of ploughing up and down essentially, hour off to stretch and eat agin then an hour split into some technical stuff (turns, starts, underwater sections) and some final interval stuff.

Only used to do this on a Sat though before Sunday, hence it being pre season as there weren't any competitions on.
Shawshank
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What's your point? Why would anyone want to do four hour lifting sessions anyway?
Le Nombre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Shawshank)
What's your point? Why would anyone want to do four hour lifting sessions anyway?
That though lifting may burn calories equally with cardio minute for minute you can burn more calories through cardio overall, as you can do it for longer.

Dunno, I wouldn't but sure some people may, most people wouldn't want to do 5 hours of swimming in a day.
AdampskiB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ok, semi-serious post now. It's best to do a mix of cardio and weight training. Like you OP I dislike weight training and prefer cardio, but weight training is very useful indeed. It will help with strength and conditioning, which in turn will allow you to push yourself harder when it comes to doing sports (which are almost always cardio based). Barbell training isn't the only way, you can do things like pullups, press-ups, dumbell exercises, use the leg press if you really dislike squatting etc. etc. It's usually not as effective but better than nothing.

Unfortunately a culture has developed in that you get people who clog up the gym by doing a few curls, a few squats, guzzle a few brotein shakes and think that's what every single persons goal should be regardless of anything else they might be doing, then scoff if you do a cardio workout. Just ignore them and don't get put off. I don't know how many times you go to the gym, but I normally do cardio:weights workouts in a ratio of 3:1, so one of those cardios will be high intensity and one will be low/recovery intensity.
Thank you for your serious reply!

I like the idea of a 3:1 ratio. Do you have any links anywhere that will describe this better?
Dopamine Dreams
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If hope that's not a typo! Gave me quite a good chuckle, haha!
Scoobiedoobiedo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Unfortunately a culture has developed in that you get people who clog up the gym by doing a few curls
I do more than a few curls. Give me credit where credit is due.
Alpha brah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
I do more than a few curls. Give me credit where credit is due.
I don't see why so many other gym users (or people who don't even go to the gym) always get so upset at lifters TBH.
Scoobiedoobiedo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alpha brah)
I don't see why so many other gym users (or people who don't even go to the gym) always get so upset at lifters TBH.
Jelly, mad jelly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (283)
15.21%
The paper was reasonable (1035)
55.62%
Not feeling great about that exam... (403)
21.66%
It was TERRIBLE (140)
7.52%

Watched Threads