The Student Room Group

Minecraft in an architecture portfolio?

Hello, I've applied to university for architecture and they have requested a portfolio from me. I am fine with most of the stuff on there but just wanted to clarify a few things:

1. Is stuff I've made in minecraft acceptable as an example of creativity??

2. How can I show "awareness of colour"?

(edited 10 years ago)
I'm not an expert on architecture by any means. However, for your portfolio it is probably best to stick to traditional media. I think including Minecraft could, possibly, alienate some admissions staff, whilst not really giving you much benefit.
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I'm not an expert on architecture by any means. However, for your portfolio it is probably best to stick to traditional media. I think including Minecraft could, possibly, alienate some admissions staff, whilst not really giving you much benefit.

Hey, thanks for your reply :smile: I just wondered if it could be a good example of creativity, but I can see where you're coming from!
Reply 3
Someone in my school did an EPQ on something to do in minecraft and got an A. Personally, I think it's perfectly fine to mention such a thing.
Original post by Ohmydog
Someone in my school did an EPQ on something to do in minecraft and got an A. Personally, I think it's perfectly fine to mention such a thing.

This is different though, as an EPQ shows other skills and is a recognised qualification. The OP isn't just talking about mentioning it in his PS (which might work in the right context), but submitting it as part of his portfolio, which is very different.
Reply 5
Any other opinions? (it wiould be 1 of 8 images I send)
Reply 6
This is different though, as an EPQ shows other skills and is a recognised qualification. The OP isn't just talking about mentioning it in his PS (which might work in the right context), but submitting it as part of his portfolio, which is very different.

OH
I for some reason read personal statement out of portfolio. LOL
:colondollar:
Reply 7
I mean I'm not doing architecture or anything creative, but maybe having the traditional stuff and then a bit of minecraft stuff would be good. I doubt many, if any people would have it so it would certainly make you stand out, and possibly give you an edge on the other applicants. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by podrodow1
I mean I'm not doing architecture or anything creative, but maybe having the traditional stuff and then a bit of minecraft stuff would be good. I doubt many, if any people would have it so it would certainly make you stand out, and possibly give you an edge on the other applicants. :smile:

Thanks for the reply, this was my thinking!! Just 1 0f 8 wouldn't be too bad if all the rest was normal would it?
As long as you don't over do it and maybe just threw it in once as a light hearted that also demonstrates your ability. As long as it isn't the house from the first night :lol:

Just like putting quotes from blackadder in your history exams :colone:
Original post by The Ark E Tect
Thanks for the reply, this was my thinking!! Just 1 0f 8 wouldn't be too bad if all the rest was normal would it?

Some admissions tutors are real traditionalists, though. What skills do you think this piece demonstrates that a more traditional piece would not? Do your other pieces of work not demonstrate your creativity? Do you just not have anything else to put in?

Obviously, it's your choice, so long as you know that by putting it in you are taking a risk that may or may not pay off.

Original post by Ohmydog
OH
I for some reason read personal statement out of portfolio. LOL
:colondollar:

No worries. I think there are places for mentioning non-traditional things, but I'm just not convinced it's appropriate in this case.
Some admissions tutors are real traditionalists, though. What skills do you think this piece demonstrates that a more traditional piece would not? Do your other pieces of work not demonstrate your creativity? Do you just not have anything else to put in?

Obviously, it's your choice, so long as you know that by putting it in you are taking a risk that may or may not pay off.

No worries. I think there are places for mentioning non-traditional things, but I'm just not convinced it's appropriate in this case.

I do not study fine art so I am limited to the quality of traditional pieces however studying graphics allows more professional pieces of work.

Its just that the criteria they have asked for limit me for what I can take
I do not study fine art so I am limited to the quality of traditional pieces however studying graphics allows more professional pieces of work.

Its just that the criteria they have asked for limit me for what I can take

If the criteria are restrictive, and you don't study fine art, I can see why you're having issues. Do you have support IRL from anyone with experience of portfolios? If not, it may be worth asking for advice in the subject specific forums of TSR. They may be able to help you come up with some ideas.
If the criteria are restrictive, and you don't study fine art, I can see why you're having issues. Do you have support IRL from anyone with experience of portfolios? If not, it may be worth asking for advice in the subject specific forums of TSR. They may be able to help you come up with some ideas.

I dont have anyone with experience, would you be able to give me the link to this thread please ? thank you!
I dont have anyone with experience, would you be able to give me the link to this thread please ? thank you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=256
Reply 15
I think work done in a CAD or 3d modelling program would be better.
Original post by Coffinman
I think work done in a CAD or 3d modelling program would be better.

that's one of the criteria and have an image for that already, the criteria im not sure on are:

Evidence of Architectural Awareness

Demonstration of colour awareness
Newcastle? I'm putting mine together at the moment aswell.. probably left it to the last minute a bit. Whoops.
I wouldn't advise putting Minecraft stuff into your portfolio.. even if the tutor knows what it is (doubtful) then they'll still just see a ton of blocks. You'd never use minecraft in a design project so showing that you can use it is largely irrelevant :dontknow:

For colour awareness maybe set up something that uses a candle and a lit object in the dark for a colour study? For example a still life arrangement on a table, a green-tinted glass bottle will cast a green hue, if you're clever and use a black tablecloth the only things visible would be coloured, or casting a coloured hue from them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending