The Student Room Group

UCAS fee code help please!- Biomedical sciences

Hi, I'm so bad with knowing about fees etc :L
I have a friend who's doing physio who put his fee code in the same category as medics (05), so I wasn't sure if mine also applied to that or if I just choose 02 like the standard.

The choices are as follows:
01 Private finance - Entire cost of tuition fees is to be paid by private finance.
02 UK, ChI, loM or EU student finance services - Applying for student support assessment by local authority, Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, Student Awards Agency for Scotland, Student Finance NI (Northern Ireland), Northern Ireland Education and Library Board, SLC EU Team, Channel Island or Isle of Man agency.
04 Research councils - Contribution from a research council.
05 DHSS/Regional Health - Contribution from the Department of Health and Social Security or from a Regional Health Authority.
06 UK Govt international award - International student award from the UK Government or the British Council.
07 Training agency - Contribution from a training agency.
08 Other UK Govt award - Contribution from another Government source.
09 International agency - Contribution from an international agency, government, university or industry.
10 UK Industry/commerce - Contribution from UK industry or commerce.
90 Other source - Other source of finance.
99 Not known - Not known.
Reply 1
I applied for biomed and put 02
i got three offers so i guess it works
Your fee code is somewhat irrelevant to getting offers, it only comes into play when you actually go to the uni and they want someone to pay your fees.

For biomed you will need 02 if you are expecting to get funding from Student Finance England or similar. It isn't a vocational degree and as such is not partially funded by government monies.
Reply 3
Original post by Insa
I applied for biomed and put 02
i got three offers so i guess it works

Thanks and well done!! Where'd you apply? :smile: I have been last minute with this I know aha.
Also, sorry one last question, when entering your GCSE and AS qualifications, did you put the date you took the exam (e.g. for GCSEs June 2012 and AS June 2013) or did you put the date you received them (e.g. for GCSEs August 2012 and AS August 2013)?
Reply 4
Original post by oxymoronic
Your fee code is somewhat irrelevant to getting offers, it only comes into play when you actually go to the uni and they want someone to pay your fees.

For biomed you will need 02 if you are expecting to get funding from Student Finance England or similar. It isn't a vocational degree and as such is not partially funded by government monies.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by monica95
Thanks and well done!! Where'd you apply? :smile: I have been last minute with this I know aha.
Also, sorry one last question, when entering your GCSE and AS qualifications, did you put the date you took the exam (e.g. for GCSEs June 2012 and AS June 2013) or did you put the date you received them (e.g. for GCSEs August 2012 and AS August 2013)?

I applied to Bath, King's College London, Greenwich, Surrey and Queen Mary.
I got offers from KCL, Surrey and Greenwich :smile:

I put the date I received the results :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Insa
I applied to Bath, King's College London, Greenwich, Surrey and Queen Mary.
I got offers from KCL, Surrey and Greenwich :smile:

I put the date I received the results :smile:

That's amazing, well done! :biggrin:
Ahh thanks again for your help :smile:
What career do you think you'll go into? For me it's hopefully so I can do graduated entry medicine, but I'd be quite happy with a career in hospitals as a biomedical scientist there. Although tbh, I don't really know in detail the different amount of careers available aha :colondollar:
Reply 7
That's amazing, well done! :biggrin:
Ahh thanks again for your help :smile:
What career do you think you'll go into? For me it's hopefully so I can do graduated entry medicine, but I'd be quite happy with a career in hospitals as a biomedical scientist there. Although tbh, I don't really know in detail the different amount of careers available aha :colondollar:

You're welcome! :smile:
I am hoping to do graduated entry medicine too, but like you, I'd settle for being a scientist in a hospital until I reapply. I like doing lab work too, so I don't really mind.
What uni's are you looking at?
Reply 8
Original post by Insa
You're welcome! :smile:
I am hoping to do graduated entry medicine too, but like you, I'd settle for being a scientist in a hospital until I reapply. I like doing lab work too, so I don't really mind.
What uni's are you looking at?

Awhh it's cool finding someone in the same position as me :3 My predicted grades were only an AAB that's why, mehh C in chemistry aha. Hopefully I can get 3As though at the end and apply to medicine in my gap year and save myself the time! I think I'm applying to warwick, bath, york, lancaster and kent :smile:
Reply 9
Awhh it's cool finding someone in the same position as me :3 My predicted grades were only an AAB that's why, mehh C in chemistry aha. Hopefully I can get 3As though at the end and apply to medicine in my gap year and save myself the time! I think I'm applying to warwick, bath, york, lancaster and kent :smile:

Yeah, I saw the building online, it was neat. I like the green surroundings too.
My predictors are AAB as well, and my AS grades were BBCC in Bio, Chem, Physics, and History, respectively. I think I had a pretty good PS so that boosted me up and got me my place at King's, not sure.
I have to really work hard this year to get the AAB for King's, I really want to go there. I am not so hopeful about Bath giving me an offer.
Which is your favourite?
Reply 10

Ignore the building thing, I was replying to 3 peoples and got confused :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by Insa
Yeah, I saw the building online, it was neat. I like the green surroundings too.
My predictors are AAB as well, and my AS grades were BBCC in Bio, Chem, Physics, and History, respectively. I think I had a pretty good PS so that boosted me up and got me my place at King's, not sure.
I have to really work hard this year to get the AAB for King's, I really want to go there. I am not so hopeful about Bath giving me an offer.
Which is your favourite?

I got BBCD in bio, psychology, chemistry and maths. Are you bothered about it being accredited? I've not actually been to any of the unis open days that I'm applying to (although I've been to york uni to visit my brother if that counts) :L But, I really like the look of, and have heard great things about the areas of york and bath, and I'm also leaning towards warwick because I like how it seems very academic and has a great student union and its entry requirements are lower
Reply 12
I got BBCD in bio, psychology, chemistry and maths. Are you bothered about it being accredited? I've not actually been to any of the unis open days that I'm applying to (although I've been to york uni to visit my brother if that counts) :L But, I really like the look of, and have heard great things about the areas of york and bath, and I'm also leaning towards warwick because I like how it seems very academic and has a great student union and its entry requirements are lower

I have absolutely no idea what accredited means. Enlighten me, please?
Bath is a gorgeous uni, and I'd be so happy to get in, but they have 20 places and high standards so I am not holding out much hope.
I haven't been to any open days either, they always fell on inconvenient days for me.
Reply 13
Original post by Insa
I have absolutely no idea what accredited means. Enlighten me, please?
Bath is a gorgeous uni, and I'd be so happy to get in, but they have 20 places and high standards so I am not holding out much hope.
I haven't been to any open days either, they always fell on inconvenient days for me.

If a university is accredited by the IBMS it means that with that degree you'll be able to have a career working in the NHS, although it's not needed for graduate entry medicine or other non-NHS jobs. However, if you do want to work in the NHS, you just need to do like an extra exam or something like that

Edit: Woah only 20?! :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
If a university is accredited by the IBMS it means that with that degree you'll be able to have a career working in the NHS, although it's not needed for graduate entry medicine or other non-NHS jobs. However, if you do want to work in the NHS, you just need to do like an extra exam or something like that

Aah thank you!
I don't know if any of the uni's I've applied to are accredited, I should look into it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending