The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nfergs
This week I made the decision of dropping out of university. For those who have also dropped out of university, what did you do afterwards and do you regret your decision?

I am about to peruse my degree in University this January session, but however I would like to know why you have dropped out of uni?
Reply 2
Original post by Adel1439
I am about to peruse my degree in University this January session, but however I would like to know why you have dropped out of uni?

Persue*

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't dropped out, but it my help to say what stage you dropped out, and what your reasons were (understandably you may want to keep the latter to yourself).
Original post by Nfergs
This week I made the decision of dropping out of university. For those who have also dropped out of university, what did you do afterwards and do you regret your decision?

I dropped out of uni in 2012. I was at a rubbish uni on a course I didn't like.

I initially regretted it when I saw how much fun my friends were having still at uni with there student loans and everything whilst I was working in boring retail. But obviously told myself you shouldn't be a uni you hate just because you want a loan haha.

I'm now thinking of going back to uni for 2014 but this time at a good uni and a course I will enjoy.

Original post by mjj22
Persue*

0/2 so far. Anybody else fancy a go?
Reply 6

Original post by Octohedral
I haven't dropped out, but it my help to say what stage you dropped out, and what your reasons were (understandably you may want to keep the latter to yourself).

I started my first semester of first year in September and only managed to last until November. I was studying French/Spanish with German as my elective at Heriot-Watt University.

One reason why I dropped out was because of the workload, I was constantly stressed and had no social life whatsoever. Because I lived at home all I ever did was go to university everyday, go to classes, do homework during breaks and then come back home to do more homework. I had so much homework that I never had the time to do any self-study which piled up and got ignored. It felt like no matter how much work I did, I was making no progress at all. Not living in halls made me feel like I was missing out on all of the 'fun' aspects of university. There wasn't really anything I actually enjoyed during the whole two months I was there. I was constantly miserable and I eventually had enough.

I'm not saying this to put anyone off, I know people that have had the complete opposite experience!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nfergs

I dropped out of that terrible thing that is high-school, because I was bored and wasn't learning anything of real interest (despite my interest in so many things!). I was 15 and don't regret it, although it cost me precious time, I since then finished high-school and am going to study fine arts.
Dropping out is as easy as jerking off, what's difficult is exploiting the alternative. If your days are being consumed by something you're not enjoying, leave!
Reply 8
Original post by Nfergs
I had started my first semester of first year in September and only managed to last until November. I was studying French/Spanish with German as my elective at Heriot-Watt University.

One reason why I dropped out was because of the workload, I was constantly stressed and had no social life whatsoever. Because I lived at home all I ever did was go to university everyday, go to classes, do homework during breaks and then come back home to do more homework. I had so much homework that I never had the time to do any self-study which piled up and got ignored. It felt like no matter how much work I did, I was making no progress at all. Not living in halls made me feel like I was missing out on all of the 'fun' aspects of university. There wasn't really anything I actually enjoyed during the whole two months I was there. I was constantly miserable and I eventually had enough.

I'm not saying this to put anyone off, I know people that have had the complete opposite experience!

Thank you for sharing you're experience with us , really appreciate it. I got accepted into Swansea engineering foundation program, so I wanted an insight why people would drop out of uni.
Reply 9
Original post by Forum User

Pursue:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dropped out halfway through my first year. I was studying English Lit and I had an awful time. Didn't understand any of the course material, found it unbelievably dull, felt like I was getting nothing out of the course and became very disillusioned.

I also had depression and anxiety, which were undiagnosed at the time but I finally got diagnosed when I was at uni; by then though, I'd missed most of the assignments, had made no friends and was pretty sure I didn't want to do that degree any more anyway.

I dropped out, went home, went to therapy/started medication and got a job in admin for the remainder of the year. I went back to college in September to do an art course and now I'm applying to study textiles in time for 2014, which is the year all my friends will be graduating. I could have continued worked full time, but didn't really know what I wanted to do and I'm not qualified for anything other than a minimum wage job; believe me, if there was a way to instantly move out of my parents' house and earn enough money to make a living without getting a degree, I'd be doing it! Anyway, I didn't see the point in waiting around, which is why I jumped back into education pretty much straight away.

Sometimes, I feel bad when I look at where my friends are now (and my brother, who's two years older than me, just finished his degree and is already hugely successful) but I figure it's not a huge deal - it seems like a lot but it's only a few years, really - and I'm still not one hundred percent sure what I actually want to do with my life but I'm in a much better place to enjoy university now. Provided I get in, of course.
Reply 11
Original post by Nfergs
I started my first semester of first year in September and only managed to last until November. I was studying French/Spanish with German as my elective at Heriot-Watt University.

I've been on this forum before under a different name,and we chatted on the Scottish universities section when we were applying(sadly I was rejected from your degree). I was thinking of doing the Interpreting/Translation masters at HW instead after my UG. Do you want to return to uni at some point? Do you want to study languages at uni (somewhere else?) or perhaps another subject? Is being an interpreter/translator still an ambition of yours?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey, I dropped out of university last year after just 2 months. I was studying English and Philosophy at Nottingham Uni and was absolutely hating it! I had a few 'friends' but we didn't really click and the course had the most ridiculously enormous workload imaginable. I was also 4 1/2 hours from home which was awful because I couldn't pop home for a break when I needed to. The campus was pleasant but soooo dull... it was so vast that I didn't feel that exciting student buzz I thought I would. There was just this cold and empty atmosphere. I knew it was all wrong and decided to drop out. I spent the year working briefly as a waitress (that also failed horribly!) and then in a wildlife park, which was much better suited to me! I also went to Italy for a week with a friend which was great.

I've started again this year at a different uni, much closer to home, doing just Philosophy, and it's a city uni rather than a campus uni. I am having a MUCH better experience. The workload is far more manageable and I have plenty of time for extracurricular activities and exploring the city (London). My family are an hour away by train which is heaps better, I have some pretty good friends (though I got very unlucky with an extremely unsociable flat!) and I'm enjoying the course. The uni has a great student atmosphere and feels much better suited to me. Don't regret your decision; I spent every day in a state of despair at Nottingham and life's too short to be lived like that. I think it's great you've taken action rather than just suffered through it.
I originally went to Heriot-Watt in 2008 to study Chemistry. Dropped out after a day. Didn't think I'd ever go back.

Took three years out, was a chef, outdoor activity instructor, worked in a call centre. The whole time I did qualifications, getting certificates in x and y.

Decided to go back in 2011, applied for Mathematics. Did 3 subjects in first year, loved CompSci so much that after a few semesters I switched. In 3rd of 4th years now :smile:
Reply 14
Reply 15
Original post by Forum User

I laughed way too much at this. :biggrin:
Original post by Plainview
*Surprue

Purreus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

Pepe le pew*?
[h="1"]
Reply 18
Original post by TonksLupin
I've been on this forum before under a different name,and we chatted on the Scottish universities section when we were applying(sadly I was rejected from your degree). I was thinking of doing the Interpreting/Translation masters at HW instead after my UG. Do you want to return to uni at some point? Do you want to study languages at uni (somewhere else?) or perhaps another subject? Is being an interpreter/translator still an ambition of yours?

From the experience I've had I'm completely put off returning to university and studying altogether. Don't get me wrong, H-W is a great university and I wouldn't pick anywhere else to go to but I realised university and student life really isn't for me. Languages were the only thing I was ever good at in school so I doubt I'd pick another course. I feel like I have no ambitions anymore, I've tried languages at university and hated it so now I have no idea what I want to do.
Original post by Nfergs

I am looking for a job and I've applied for better uni's and a course I enjoy for next September and it was the best decision of my life :smile:

Latest