The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Is there any point checking my emails over the weekend?
Original post by Mike_123
Is there any point checking my emails over the weekend?

Yup nothing would update as the admission tutors are enjoying their weekends :biggrin:.
Received my interview for Robinson College, Cambridge on 12th December earlier today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Coombsy
Received my interview for Robinson College, Cambridge on 12th December earlier today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! By the way, did you confirm the UCL open day?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Epic Flawless
Congrats! By the way, did you confirm the UCL open day?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Have you received your interview yet (sorry if you've posted and I've missed it)?

Not yet; I will do it at some point this weekend. I'll let you know what they say.

By the way, have you applied to LSE? If so, what stage are you at with your application there?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Coombsy
Thanks. Have you received your interview yet (sorry if you've posted and I've missed it)?

Not yet; I will do it at some point this weekend. I'll let you know what they say.

By the way, have you applied to LSE? If so, what stage are you at with your application there?

Yup! 9th of December!

I'm currently have less than 1 week left on my 5 week waiting period for LSE as it should end this Friday but I honestly don't expect a reply considering how many applications they have to go through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is Target 2.0 preparation going for everyone here who's doing it?

I've been made captain of our team, but I'm struggling with our main argument at the moment given that we can't seem to make our minds up on it...
Original post by robin1125

I've been made captain of our team, but I'm struggling with our main argument at the moment given that we can't seem to make our minds up on it...

We got a late entry since another school dropped out. It's going alright considering we only have 2 weeks to prepare. I'm glad I'm not the team captain though. After the UCAS, it's a bit of a break. Haven't a clue as to our argument though.
Reply 2208

Original post by NedStark
We got a late entry since another school dropped out. It's going alright considering we only have 2 weeks to prepare. I'm glad I'm not the team captain though. After the UCAS, it's a bit of a break. Haven't a clue as to our argument though.

When are your heats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NedStark

So what my team's concept is for now (I'm a team captain) was that different people had different jobs to do: for example, I tried to find data about consumer confidence and spending, wages, investment and business confidence, other people researched house prices, fiscal policy, prices of raw materials, unemployment etc which contribute to price level. Each of us made a few slides and made a few senteces to sum up each 'section' and if it is going to cause inflation and if therefore want to change interest rate. Then I will put all the slides together and try to think about the general conclusion and add a few sentences about QE. Depending how that goes, some improvements will probably be needed.

I'm not captain of our team but nonetheless, I really can't be bothered to do any work for it. I don't even fully believe in our arguments but as my other team mates aren't that great , I don't really think we'll do well in any case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azns
When are your heats?

Posted from TSR Mobile

28th of November

Original post by purplemind
So what my team's concept is for now (I'm a team captain) was that different people had different jobs to do: for example, I tried to find data about consumer confidence and spending, wages, investment and business confidence, other people researched house prices, fiscal policy, prices of raw materials, unemployment etc which contribute to price level. Each of us made a few slides and made a few senteces to sum up each 'section' and if it is going to cause inflation and if therefore want to change interest rate. Then I will put all the slides together and try to think about the general conclusion and add a few sentences about QE. Depending how that goes, some improvements will probably be needed.

Yeah I'm pretty much doing the same thing as you, but focusing on asset prices and housing instead of spending and investment
(edited 10 years ago)
28th of November

Yeah I'm pretty much doing the same thing as you, but focusing on asset prices and housing instead of spending and investment

I'm also team captain, and two weeks ago my teacher broke his wrist and ankle and we hadnt yet started anything. We have recently started and havent progressed very far. We have done most of our research but are completely unsure on how to approach the presentation. Any tips or advice? Our first round is 26th November.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an offer from surrey today! Very good uni for an AAB offer :biggrin: has anyone heard anything from bath or Exeter yet ? Xx also our 2.0 team hasn't done huge amounts, our first round is a week today!!😁
Reply 2214
Original post by kiirankapoor
I'm also team captain, and two weeks ago my teacher broke his wrist and ankle and we hadnt yet started anything. We have recently started and havent progressed very far. We have done most of our research but are completely unsure on how to approach the presentation. Any tips or advice? Our first round is 26th November.

To be honest, our group isn't doing anything much for Target 2.0 either. We're going to start soon but I think we're going to end up with a half-baked presentation. I don't think any team is actually putting in massive amounts of work to be honest and I reckon most schools just end up winging it for the regional heats and they may do some more serious research, if anything, if they get to the national finals.
Reply 2215
Original post by Giant
To be honest, our group isn't doing anything much for Target 2.0 either. We're going to start soon but I think we're going to end up with a half-baked presentation. I don't think any team is actually putting in massive amounts of work to be honest and I reckon most schools just end up winging it for the regional heats and they may do some more serious research, if anything, if they get to the national finals.

I totally agree, our heat is on the 28th and we've done absolutely nothing. We'll probably muster up something within the week before but none of us really care, just an excuse to miss school tbh :tongue:
Original post by kiirankapoor

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest I don't really know how you could put it together. We had a meeting today and I'm pretty confused as to how we're going to structure it, so I'm just doing my part with the notes and hoping it comes together on our next team meeting on Wednesday
Reply 2217
Original post by haseem1
I totally agree, our heat is on the 28th and we've done absolutely nothing. We'll probably muster up something within the week before but none of us really care, just an excuse to miss school tbh :tongue:

My team have been ploughing through the business section in the Metro and Evening Standard which has provided us with a great deal of top notch information. Any other sources of information ? our heat is on the 28th November.... I think
Reply 2218
Original post by SuDa2103
Do you guys think that an econ graduate from Lse will have an advantage over graduates from places like Warwick/UCL when it comes to jobs in finance or postgraduate research?

Just ask Giant.
Reply 2219
Original post by SuDa2103
Do you guys think that an econ graduate from Lse will have an advantage over graduates from places like Warwick/UCL when it comes to jobs in finance or postgraduate research?

Only Giant knows the answer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending