The Student Room Group

F.Maths,Maths,Physics,Chem or F.Maths,Maths,Physics,English

Hi, for engineering I know chemistry would be well looked upon, but doesnt doing English show you are more well rounded?, will this help your application?

Scroll to see replies

Go for F.Maths, Maths, Physics and Chem. It'll look better when you're applying for engineering. It's better to leave out English. In engineering, you'll be working with numbers, measurements and stuff, not the language. I hope this helps. ^^
Reply 2
Original post by nemesis inferno
Hi, for engineering I know chemistry would be well looked upon, but doesnt doing English show you are more well rounded?, will this help your application?

Original post by itsamberariamay
Go for F.Maths, Maths, Physics and Chem. It'll look better when you're applying for engineering. It's better to leave out English. In engineering, you'll be working with numbers, measurements and stuff, not the language. I hope this helps. ^^

My A2s are Maths, Further Maths, German, English and Physics and I've applied to study physics and philosophy at Uni.

I think that English (Lit) is a great A Level and the skills you gain from it in terms of literary analysis, writing, reading etc are useful in every field inc. engineering.

True, Chemistry is more applicable but why study with all your subjects pointing in one direction? If English interests you more then go for it! If you are a die hard scientist then pick chemistry. It's up to you. You've got the important ones sorted.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I had exactly the same situation when choosing my A-levels and the short answer is do Chemistry and not English. Firstly Chem is much more suited to your other ones and it would show that specifically you are a well rounded Engineer and Mathematician. I chose Chem over English and have not regretted it since, and looking back, I don't think I would have liked the English course as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Chemistry
Do you want a job in engineering? then I would recommend you to take mathematics, physics and chemistry. Itsamberariamay in comment #2 gave good reasons. Moreover its more useful to have more knowledges in chemistry than in English, if you want a job in chemical engineering.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Nathan0012
I had exactly the same situation when choosing my A-levels and the short answer is do Chemistry and not English. Firstly Chem is much more suited to your other ones and it would show that specifically you are a well rounded Engineer and Mathematician. I chose Chem over English and have not regretted it since, and looking back, I don't think I would have liked the English course as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, people shouldn't be telling the OP to do something just because it's 'more' related to the course they are applying to study :lol: It's not a prerequisite so it's not really relevant.

Th question should be whether they want to study English and have a break from the sciences or would rather go full out for engineering.
Reply 7
Go for what you enjoy most, I know that sounds cheesy but it's true. Further maths, maths and Physics will help you through a Engineering degree. Only go for Chemistry if you enjoy it, not if you feel you should take it. Likewise with English, don't just take it to show you are a well rounded student. This isn't America, so it admission tutors are looking for passionate students who they know will excel in their subject.
To show you have a life other than just your subjects, maybe you could take up a hobby?
Reply 8
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
Again, people shouldn't be telling the OP to do something just because it's 'more' related to the course they are applying to study :lol: It's not a prerequisite so it's not really relevant.

Th question should be whether they want to study English and have a break from the sciences or would rather go full out for engineering.

Totally agree with you here! Others are telling him what to go for on the basis of what they have experienced and enjoy. This does not mean that OP will be the same.
Reply 9
don't do pointless a levels like english. you need fmaths,maths,physics for engineering. do something like computer science for your fourth a level
Reply 10
Original post by SaFa1237
Totally agree with you here! Others are telling him what to go for on the basis of what they have experienced and enjoy. This does not mean that OP will be the same.

Yup. I did chemistry as AS and it was all a bit too much memorizing and not enough conceptualizing for me :dontknow:

Also, excuse my American spelling, I'm on my phone.
Reply 11
Original post by smd4std
don't do pointless a levels like english. you need fmaths,maths,physics for engineering. do something like computer science for your fourth a level

English is pointless? :confused:

Stop talking crap.
Reply 12
English is pointless? :confused:

Stop talking crap.

yes it is.
have fun working at starbucks with your english degree xoxo
Reply 13
Original post by smd4std
yes it is.
have fun working at starbucks with your english* degree xoxo

Theoretical physics*
Reply 14
Theoretical physics*

not one of the best sciences but still better than the others

good luck
Reply 15
Original post by smd4std
not one of the best sciences but still better than the others

good luck

:lol: It's as good as any other. Conceptually, probably the hardest. What else did you have in mind? "medicine, dentistry and engineering"? :mmm:
Reply 16
:lol: It's as good as any other. Conceptually, probably the hardest. What else did you have in mind? "medicine, dentistry and engineering"? :mmm:

i'd consider nursing to be better than theoretical physics
Reply 17
Original post by smd4std
i'd consider nursing to be better than theoretical physics

Academically? No.
Professionally? Sure.
Reply 18
More sciency mathsy subjects are looked at more favourably yes.

I'd play the odds here. I presume you're looking at 4 subjects to take to AS then drop one and take 3 to A2? At this stage you don't know how you're going to perform in any of those subjects at A level so if you chose Maths, FM, Physics and English and then you were performing badly at FM or Physics and had to drop it that would leave you with English to carry forward to A2. Whilst English as one of your 3 A2 subjects might not write you off completely as an engineer it would certainly reduce your options.

I'd stay with Maths, FM, Physics and Chem and then at least you're left with all maths/science subjects at A2.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by smd4std
yes it is.
have fun working at starbucks with your english degree xoxo

If English is pointless, I would have not learnt English to talk with you. :wink: I'm sure its useful to have an English degree in other professional fields, but in engineering I would prefer chemistry in comparison to English.

Quick Reply

Latest