The Student Room Group

Really want help but CAMHS are useless?

I've had depression on and off since I was around 13 or 14, I'm now 17 and it doesn't really get better. I go through periods where things are good for a while and say to myself I don't have depression how I feel is normal but I get to the point where I cry my eyes out and consider killing myself. I've been to CAMHS for this about 3 times and it's always the same I have like 1 session then get dimissed and I don't know why because I genuinely need the help.

I've also suffered with an eating disorder at the end of last year till mid this year which I went to CAMHS for, it really affected me and controlled me and I got dismissed again cos despite starving myself I wasn't a priority cos I was only as low as 8 stone after being 12 stone. I still don;t feel fully better from that and things are just going bad again. I have an appointment with doctor but I don't see it going anyway because nothing gets done for me with CAMHS. I really need the help but aren't getting it and I'm not even sure what's wrong with me anymore.

I constantly feel sick and have no interest in food, I was passing out and I do have low iron, but my boyfriends sister is a nurse and upset me last night saying I pretended to pass out at my boyfriends party and make out I'm ill when I'm not so probably have a personality disorder which people make out they're ill. I've been undergoing tests at hospital for my stomach but they said I just have acid reflux and wanted to see me again in new year. Could it all be in my head even though I always feel sick and gag at thought and smell of food? I do like seeing my boyfriend a lot and she says I crave attention and I love attention, it really got to me last night and I thought I was feeling better but I'm not 100%. I feel like I've just tried to push everything away and tell myself I'm fine. I don't really know what I'm meant to say to doctors and get the help I really need. Sorry for the long post, I'm needing advice. I've left sixth form early today cos I just knew I was going to start crying after waking up feeling so down yet again
Bumping as this took a while to be approved :smile:
Original post by iJess
I've had depression on and off since I was around 13 or 14, I'm now 17 and it doesn't really get better. I go through periods where things are good for a while and say to myself I don't have depression how I feel is normal but I get to the point where I cry my eyes out and consider killing myself. I've been to CAMHS for this about 3 times and it's always the same I have like 1 session then get dimissed and I don't know why because I genuinely need the help.

I've also suffered with an eating disorder at the end of last year till mid this year which I went to CAMHS for, it really affected me and controlled me and I got dismissed again cos despite starving myself I wasn't a priority cos I was only as low as 8 stone after being 12 stone. I still don;t feel fully better from that and things are just going bad again. I have an appointment with doctor but I don't see it going anyway because nothing gets done for me with CAMHS. I really need the help but aren't getting it and I'm not even sure what's wrong with me anymore.

I constantly feel sick and have no interest in food, I was passing out and I do have low iron, but my boyfriends sister is a nurse and upset me last night saying I pretended to pass out at my boyfriends party and make out I'm ill when I'm not so probably have a personality disorder which people make out they're ill. I've been undergoing tests at hospital for my stomach but they said I just have acid reflux and wanted to see me again in new year. Could it all be in my head even though I always feel sick and gag at thought and smell of food? I do like seeing my boyfriend a lot and she says I crave attention and I love attention, it really got to me last night and I thought I was feeling better but I'm not 100%. I feel like I've just tried to push everything away and tell myself I'm fine. I don't really know what I'm meant to say to doctors and get the help I really need. Sorry for the long post, I'm needing advice. I've left sixth form early today cos I just knew I was going to start crying after waking up feeling so down yet again

Have you tried any other options, perhaps counselling with a voluntary organisation like MIND, Relate or at your college? CAMHS can be a bit hit and miss, they are very stretched and usually only take on the most severe cases, which is very hard for those left out. Have you talked to your GP about how you feel CAMHS don't take you seriously? With the faking thing, I know it's hard but I try not to listen to your boyfriend's sister, it doesn't sound like she knows what she is going on about at all.
Reply 3
Original post by bullettheory
Have you tried any other options, perhaps counselling with a voluntary organisation like MIND, Relate or at your college? CAMHS can be a bit hit and miss, they are very stretched and usually only take on the most severe cases, which is very hard for those left out. Have you talked to your GP about how you feel CAMHS don't take you seriously? With the faking thing, I know it's hard but I try not to listen to your boyfriend's sister, it doesn't sound like she knows what she is going on about at all.

Means a lot for the reply thank you, I saw doctor today and she understands how I feel about CAMHS and said it's probably not the best idea to go back to CAMHS as I've been 4 times this year and don't really get anywhere and she also said she's not going to put me on tablets which I agree with, she's referring me to another support service as we both agreed this is what I really need and haven'd had access to. I'm feeling much much better than I was this morning already, knowing that I at least have something to help
Reply 4
Hi I've been under CAMHs since I was 13 and I can truly say they are not good, they use this system as a trial for their therapists and I was under a different agency before and now after, I would speak to any counsellor you have at college/school and if they see fit like mine did, Mine sent me to my GP, and they will assess you and see what your options are and treatments that are available, it was very helpful and now I have therapy and medication, don't worry your looking for help so you should be proud. And you will receive it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by iJess

'I just have acid reflux'... 'just', it should not be taken lightly, acid reflux can have serious health effects on an individual, me and my brother both struggle from it. I am 7 and a half stone not from an eating disorder, but from digestion issues, stress and my own addiction to sugar. I would seriously advise you to cut down on it, even though I can barely take my own health advise, sugar can have depressing effects on the mind, be the cause of acid reflux, and damage organs. I have been researching the effects of different foods and their impact on the brain, and I can tell you that it does make a difference to heal your mind and body through holistic eating. Stay away from chemically enhanced foods and try to stick to an organic diet, try not to eat much wheat. (this has helped my issues greatly) Take a food intolerance test perhaps, I did mine at the herbal inn and am now waiting for the results.

You are not a hypochondriac, people have told me I am paranoid because of all the health issues I face and try to understand better, but I have come to realize that only I know what is right for me. It's okay to be analytical about yourself if you are having mental and health issues. Don't be too dependent on your boyfriend, only you can heal yourself. There are psychology charities that will have psychologists speak to you for a low and reasonable price, and they choose the type of therapy that is right for your disorder unlike CAMHS. The most important thing is you get the right nutrition to heal your body and mind, and the right therapy also, do not let this disorder have power over you, I struggle with body dysmorphia so I know how hard it can be to look at yourself and see a monster even though you are just normal. Healing starts within, raise your consciousness about yourself, you are stronger than you realize, and more beautiful than you'll ever know.

* Start with eliminating bad thoughts, create a filter they cannot get through.

*Nutrition will change your life, try and gain an appetite for healthy foods, because of my acid reflux I eat small portions.

*Never let anybody else dictate who you are, and I mean, not even your parents. Even your parents might not know exactly who they are, this can have a damaging effect on your personal growth as a young adult.. so, respect them and listen to them, but only choose positive influences. You don't have to be a product of society and it's beliefs, not caring what others think will give you the greatest freedom you could ever hope for.

Quick Reply

Latest