The Student Room Group

Prom dress shopping

I know prom isn't till June but I've been looking at dresses online for a few months now and know which style and colour I'd like. When would you say is the best time to go actual shopping for a prom dress? I don't want to go too late and then not get the dress I want but I don't want to buy one too early then change my mind. Thanks in advance for your help! :smile:
Honestly, I don't think it matters - I know people that bought their dresses from a year to a few days before. I bought mine in May but I think most people in my year got theirs around April. I 'd say that earlier is definitely better than later if you want to be safe though!
I bought mine in April, but if you find a nice Christmas party dress that you think would be good, you might get lucky and be able to buy it in the sale, always good to save a bit of money where you can. Obviously depends on what style you want
Reply 3
Original post by Shero Apple
In my opinion,to buy the prom dress at least one month before the prom so that we have enought time to alter it if the size no fit,I bought my homecoming dress from lovingvogue.com on Sep.and remared my occasion time, they delivered my dress one week early before my ball.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JadeMay
I know prom isn't till June but I've been looking at dresses online for a few months now and know which style and colour I'd like. When would you say is the best time to go actual shopping for a prom dress? I don't want to go too late and then not get the dress I want but I don't want to buy one too early then change my mind. Thanks in advance for your help! :smile:

Original post by kath_igidbashian
I bought mine in April, but if you find a nice Christmas party dress that you think would be good, you might get lucky and be able to buy it in the sale, always good to save a bit of money where you can. Obviously depends on what style you want

Yeah, I'd agree with the above. The absolute worst time is probably a month or so before prom because if everyone else is shopping around there's less chance of you finding something you like in your size - and shops can bump the prices up! I've seen this first hand since there's a prom dress shop in my home town; girls are paying £400 for dresses that probably cost under £100 direct from China.

It's also worth Googling to see if there's an "outlet" near you. There's one on an industrial estate near where I live, and my sister found a dress there for about £90.
The Christmas sales are usually a good time. There are usually some beautiful dresses for amazing prices!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I ordered mine in the January which meant that it wasn't too expensive, I had plenty of time to get it adjusted and I didn't have to run around and ruin the actual day by panicking :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest