The Student Room Group

I want to change uni/course.

I'm currently doing maths and physics at university and I have come to the realisation that I just prefer maths to physics. I want to do maths instead but have left it too late now so I can't transfer courses. Shall I wait and reapply for next year (btw I will be applying to a different uni for maths)...???

I don't know what to do I just want to drop out now......
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
????????????
You will have to drop out and reapply, as you cannot transfer to a different course part way through the year. The first step is to speak to your personal tutor, and find out what the financial implications of dropping out would be. If you don't live in university accomadation, you need to discuss this with someone from your accomadation too. You would then have to reapply through UCAS as you did last year. Do bear in mind that maths courses are not keen on gap years, so it might be worth phoning up admissions departments to discuss your situation.

You need to think very carefully about your decision though. You can drop out once, and still get funding for the full length of a course from SFE. However, you would not be funded to repeat a year, or able to get full funding if you drop out again.

If you plan to move back home, you should also discuss this with your parents.
Reply 3
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
You will have to drop out and reapply, as you cannot transfer to a different course part way through the year. The first step is to speak to your personal tutor, and find out what the financial implications of dropping out would be. If you don't live in university accomadation, you need to discuss this with someone from your accomadation too. You would then have to reapply through UCAS as you did last year. Do bear in mind that maths courses are not keen on gap years, so it might be worth phoning up admissions departments to discuss your situation.

You need to think very carefully about your decision though. You can drop out once, and still get funding for the full length of a course from SFE. However, you would not be funded to repeat a year, or able to get full funding if you drop out again.

If you plan to move back home, you should also discuss this with your parents.

Yeah thanks for the reply, I need to seriously think about this over the next couple of weeks. I'm sure the maths department would be ok with it as I have still been doing maths despite it being different.
Original post by amcor
Yeah thanks for the reply, I need to seriously think about this over the next couple of weeks. I'm sure the maths department would be ok with it as I have still been doing maths despite it being different.

You do need to check this though with departments you think you would apply to, as if you were to reapply, you wouldn't be starting your maths course until September, and would drop out, so thats 10 months of no maths still.
Original post by amcor

I wouldn't be so sure. My boyfriend wasn't allowed to switch course from Economics to Economics and Maths (even though he had been taking extra maths modules and had covered the exact same content).
Reply 6
Original post by desdemonata
I wouldn't be so sure. My boyfriend wasn't allowed to switch course from Economics to Economics and Maths (even though he had been taking extra maths modules and had covered the exact same content).

Just to clarify I would be changing uni.
Reply 7
You do need to check this though with departments you think you would apply to, as if you were to reapply, you wouldn't be starting your maths course until September, and would drop out, so thats 10 months of no maths still.

I would check obviously but I would keep up to date on my maths independently
Reply 8

Either way how would this be different from taking a gap year? do they not like that? ah well will just have to see.
Original post by amcor
Either way how would this be different from taking a gap year? do they not like that? ah well will just have to see.

As I said in my origional post, maths courses are not keen on gap years.
Original post by amcor

Assuming you're a first year then the one piece of advice I have for you is for god sake, make sure you leave, and that student finance know you have left, before the start of your second year.

If you drop out in your first year then your new degree will be fully funded, however if you start your second year then you lost funding for the first year of your next degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending