The Student Room Group

girl owes me money, refused to pay and she ended friendship..

Scroll to see replies

I doubt you have any legal rights, to be honest. You bought the tickets under your name. Morally this girl is way out of order, but unless she has a sudden burst of conscience, I doubt you'll see the money.

This is why I will NEVER buy tickets on behalf of anyone anymore. It's ridiculous the number of people who think it's okay to suddenly bail out on a £50 ticket. It's happened to me twice and both times I ended up out of pocket.
Reply 21
Original post by Forum User
I'm not sure what I have just read, but it's certainly not law as I have studied it.

You never heard of Civil Law?

In relation to what someone else posted, signature is irrelevant. Writing is only relevant in so far as it is evidence of a contract, but that doesn't seem to matter here as the OP almost certainly has enough evidence of an oral contract. In relation to the 'my word against hers' point, so what? It's not like judges add up how many people are on each side and call it a draw if its evenly matched. If you can show, on the balance of probabilities, that there was an oral contract, then you win.

Its not a contract, merely an agreement because the parties do not have intention to create legal relations.
Refer to that case where a mother(in uk) called her daughter(from US) to UK and promised she'd pay for her tuition fee etc
Reply 22
Original post by Chocolatesoup
x

Keep calm and believe in Karma.
Original post by Enoxial
You never heard of Civil Law?

a) The post I quoted of yours doesn't mention the phrase 'Civil Law'
b) You seemed to think that Public Law had some relevance to this issue when it obviously does not.
c) Your claim that tort is more likely to succeed than contract seems dubious, I assume you mean a claim in negligent misstatement? Would it be 'reasonable to rely' on the request if the request was not intended to create legal relations?
d) The only possible crime here seems to be fraud but I doubt very much the CPS would be interested in it.

The case you mean is probably Jones v Padavatton.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
a) The post I quoted of yours doesn't mention the phrase 'Civil Law'

I later edited it.

c) Your claim that tort is more likely to succeed than contract seems dubious.

My mistake.

The case you mean is probably Jones v Padavatton.

Yup!
Reply 25
lol so funny to see a girl do this to another girl for a change.
Original post by mimi112
lol so funny to see a girl do this to another girl for a change.

why would gender be relevant?
Reply 27
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
Didn't you know that girls get everything they want?
She says she wants money, you give her money, and don't expect anything in return.
Or you're a bad man slave.

I'm guessing you just got dumped even though you're such a nice guy, am I right?
why would gender be relevant?

I think he means that girls are usually the culprits in this kind of issue. Guys tend to be more straight forward and honest with matters of money. A friend of mine lived with a female friend of his, he went away for around 4 months, while she stayed there full time. When he came back she expected him to pay half the bills as well. This is something that rarely happens amongst guys.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. You need to understand she is not your friend, and you need to teach her lesson while getting your money back. Go to her parents and tell them the issue straight, and that you will take legal action if it isn't paid. If they don't comply, then take legal action. If you don't you will be partly responsible for the next person she does this to, as well as being out of pocket.
yeah, i didnt think the texts where she initially agreed to come to the gig and then recently when she said she'd give me the money would count as a contract unfortunately :/ I dont think it would count as theft either although when asking friends for advice theyve said she has technically stolen from me hah. i just find it strange that someone would owe people money and instead of taking responsibility would flee..

If you wanted to pursue it, you might get somewhere with the texts being a contract, actually. It's certainly something you could suggest to her... That said, unless the tickets cost you a lot of money, then I wouldn't think it's worth pursuing it in court. You'd spend that much on kick starting the whole thing, with no guaranteed results.

It's not theft, no: she didn't get the money or the tickets. She didn't benefit from it at all really - she just pulled out, leaving you with an extra ticket.
If she's going to block you on facebook over it then she isn't a friend and you're better off without her.

Probably worth the cost of the ticket to eliminate an idiot from your social group.
I've sent her a message telling her that if i dont get the money by the end of the month ill be taking action against her (thought it was best to be a bit ambiguous with the wording so she isnt sure whether i mean the police or another form of action..). will let you all know what the response is. shes not getting away with this.
I've sent her a message telling her that if i dont get the money by the end of the month ill be taking action against her (thought it was best to be a bit ambiguous with the wording so she isnt sure whether i mean the police or another form of action..). will let you all know what the response is. shes not getting away with this.

Don't get yourself hurt though. She sounds quite rough, getting people to harass you. Never know what she'll ask someone to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
well she has replied saying IM the one harassing her and "threatening" her... apparently shes going to get her mum to come to my house and give me the money, so hasnt even got the balls to give me it herself. i wont hold my breath that her mum will even be giving me it...
Original post by Damask-
I'm guessing you just got dumped even though you're such a nice guy, am I right?

Nope, you're wrong :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 35
You can use this resource for making a small claim: https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Have a read through the site to see whether it applies in situations like yours.
Her mum came today and gave my dad the money, I wasnt it. apparently nothing was said so either she's told the truth to her mum or her mum just didnt wanna be involved or cause any hassle. I was expecting lies and drama. glad i got it though!

thank you to everyone for your advice and help, its much appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending