The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham university accommodation help please!

I'm looking to apply for my accommodation super early to make sure I get the 'best place'. (I've been offered an unconditional if I firm so I'm pretty much 100% going to Birmingham- woo!)

I want self catered, NOT en-suite and to go wherever has the most going on/has the best community. I'm not really bothered about the size of the rooms or anything. I've looked into it and I think my two main choices are Tennis Courts and Maple Bank.. Advice please???
Maple Bank is so much better, it's on the Vale and the hallways are all indoors, great for spending time/having pres with everyone on your floor. MUCH better than Elgar and Mason, Tennis Courts is probably second best..
Maple was awesome, but I'm a little biased..
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by hannahhunter
I'm looking to apply for my accommodation super early to make sure I get the 'best place'. (I've been offered an unconditional if I firm so I'm pretty much 100% going to Birmingham- woo!)

I want self catered, NOT en-suite and to go wherever has the most going on/has the best community. I'm not really bothered about the size of the rooms or anything. I've looked into it and I think my two main choices are Tennis Courts and Maple Bank.. Advice please???

You know you can change it in the future without it affecting your place in the queue? I've just applied to six random ones, and am going to go to the accommodation open day in April to visit them and actually decide which I like best. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I looked through this (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/university_of_birmingham:_accommodation) then picked six randoms and will probs reorder after the accommodation open day.
Reply 4
Maple bank and tennis courts are quite similar in the layout of their buildings from what I can remember two years ago. They both are very social accommodations and with either you will get to meet your whole block. I stayed in Shackleton my first year, which was pretty good but the way it's set up you don't really meet the rest of your block. The benefit of tennis courts over maple bank is that it's about 5~10 minutes closer to campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know you posted this some time ago however having just seen it and as a current first year student who would have loved to have insight on halls I decided why not share my ramblings concerning accommodation.

I would defo advise self catered as you do get to learn to cook for yourself, top tip (its not that difficult, its called reading if you follow a recipe!)
In terms of sociability I will repeat what I'm sure you have already been told, most accommodation will be sociable, after all very few people in the world want to be loners (its not really a life plan option that fills many with hope spending evenings alone) however there are certain accommodations in bham that are know for being 'more social' which basically means, people who like to go out more and spend more time procrastinating with others than procrastinating alone watching tv in your room.
As an unconditional you have a very priviledged position as essentially you have 'first dibs' to all accomm. I would frankly advise to pick TC a.k.a. Tennis Courts.
Many will say I'm biased as someone who lives at TC but I promise you many of my friends in mason and pritchetts and liberty and maple are jealous of people that live in TC. Why? We have loads of halls events including: 'I love TC, donuts night, TC v Mason, TC v Maple, TC goes terrestrial' and many many more. We have awesome chants which are surprisinginly easy to learn even when drunk. The people who enjoy going out and spending time with people often pick TC because of its reputation which is why its reputation theroetically continues. We have like 700 people so one of the largest halls and are the closest out of those on the vale.
We are cheaper than mason (trust me in my opinion paying an extra £1000 for your own toilet is just a waste of money however TC even provides some ensuite blocks now which I have to admit are very nice)
We have bigger kitchens/living rooms than maple, like twice as big which means bigger pres parties, and unlike many accomm we are set out in blocks which you get to know the people in very very well (around 30 people) and I have to admit picking TC was my best decision in a long time so do it!....or don't whatever haha Hope this helped
Reply 6
Maple is by far the best accommodation: it's the most fun, cheapest, you get more money to spend on going out so hence you have more fun.
If you want to party go to Maple.
Reply 7
Original post by Beth_Armitage
I know you posted this some time ago however having just seen it and as a current first year student who would have loved to have insight on halls I decided why not share my ramblings concerning accommodation.

I would defo advise self catered as you do get to learn to cook for yourself, top tip (its not that difficult, its called reading if you follow a recipe!)
In terms of sociability I will repeat what I'm sure you have already been told, most accommodation will be sociable, after all very few people in the world want to be loners (its not really a life plan option that fills many with hope spending evenings alone) however there are certain accommodations in bham that are know for being 'more social' which basically means, people who like to go out more and spend more time procrastinating with others than procrastinating alone watching tv in your room.
As an unconditional you have a very priviledged position as essentially you have 'first dibs' to all accomm. I would frankly advise to pick TC a.k.a. Tennis Courts.
Many will say I'm biased as someone who lives at TC but I promise you many of my friends in mason and pritchetts and liberty and maple are jealous of people that live in TC. Why? We have loads of halls events including: 'I love TC, donuts night, TC v Mason, TC v Maple, TC goes terrestrial' and many many more. We have awesome chants which are surprisinginly easy to learn even when drunk. The people who enjoy going out and spending time with people often pick TC because of its reputation which is why its reputation theroetically continues. We have like 700 people so one of the largest halls and are the closest out of those on the vale.
We are cheaper than mason (trust me in my opinion paying an extra £1000 for your own toilet is just a waste of money however TC even provides some ensuite blocks now which I have to admit are very nice)
We have bigger kitchens/living rooms than maple, like twice as big which means bigger pres parties, and unlike many accomm we are set out in blocks which you get to know the people in very very well (around 30 people) and I have to admit picking TC was my best decision in a long time so do it!....or don't whatever haha Hope this helped

There are chants at every halls- I wouldn't pick TC based on the fact you get to learn a "chant".

Maple bank is just as sociable/fun/outgoing if not more so, it's cheaper, you definitely have the most fun and it will give you a quality first year
Original post by silberkuhl
Hi guys,
i just applied for accommodation at Birmingham, but on the second to last page it asked if i wanted to be placed in a flat with 'quiet and studious students'. what did everyone put?
if you put yes is it likely that you'll be in a flat with people with few social skills/ nerds,
or if you put no would you be with people who won't work during exams?

Thanks in advance

Piece of advise from a current first year student, don't put it down. The specifications don't necessarily mean that you will be homed with people who tend to be quieter but it certainly increases the possibility and in my opinion in order to experience a true depiction of uni life you want to be with those who don't have the tendencies to study 24/7.
I'm currently at one of the most lively, sociable halls with people who tend to reflect this however I still have plenty of time for my studies and during assignment times and on the roll up to important deadlines people just tend to let others know so that they won't be interrupted. We are paying £9000 a year after all, there will be few and far between (especially at a prestigious uni like Bham) who want to 'mess around' and 'do no work'.

Hope this may have helped
Reply 9
Hi, i was looking into living in jarrett halls because i really want an ensuite, self catered option, but after reading some of yhe comments im feeling like im missing out by not living in the vale, please may you tell me all you can about jarrett hall and then any information about other halls that dit my criteria! Thank you, i just really don't want to make the wrong decison and ruin first year
Tennis Courts all the way. Close to uni so you can roll out of bed 30 minutes before lectures and make it in with time to spare. I find the layout of the block is nicer and the actual size and quality of the kitchen and toilets is better. The quality of the rooms themselves are basically the same in Maple and TC and, to be honest, even though I've stayed in TC this year, I would have been equally as happy in Maple Bank most likely - especially because I'd have an extra £1000 to throw about from my maintenance loan.
Main downside of TC is the fact that, to walk over to your friends' places in Maple or Elgar you need to walk about half a mile up the vale - but it's quite a pleasant walk, even at night time.
Don't bother with Mason, I don't see the point in it and the sense of community isn't as good as the more communal halls.
Reply 11
Hiya, Im in same position as you with an unconditional for Brum. I've just put Tennis Courts before Maple Bank on my form. I looked round on the open day and spoke to a couple of my friends there. Apparently Maple and Tennis courts are pretty similar but I preferred how tennis courts had bigger kitchens and are 5 minutes nearer the uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending