The Student Room Group

Just a stupid question...

Hello,

I applied for 5 programmes at 3 different schools. I've gotten two rejections (both LSE), am waiting for KCL, and got into both at St Andrews. Before I applied, I didn't know that St Andrews was a relaxed as it is, so the fact that I applied for IR and IR + Modern History basically means I wasted a choice. My question is, is there any possible way UCAS will let me scrap one of those and make another application to another school? I know I'd probably have to call to get a definitive answer, but being in the US that's expensive and the time difference creates a hassle. I know this is a stupid question, but I am really feeling the hurt from LSE and want any chance at being able to apply to a 4th school

Thanks
Original post by tlunn223
Hello,

I applied for 5 programmes at 3 different schools. I've gotten two rejections (both LSE), am waiting for KCL, and got into both at St Andrews. Before I applied, I didn't know that St Andrews was a relaxed as it is, so the fact that I applied for IR and IR + Modern History basically means I wasted a choice. My question is, is there any possible way UCAS will let me scrap one of those and make another application to another school? I know I'd probably have to call to get a definitive answer, but being in the US that's expensive and the time difference creates a hassle. I know this is a stupid question, but I am really feeling the hurt from LSE and want any chance at being able to apply to a 4th school

Thanks

Only if you are still within 7 days of lodging your application.
Original post by nulli tertius
Only if you are still within 7 days of lodging your application.

It's not a situation I have dealt with, at least not in this exact form, but am I right in thinking that the only one that could be changed would be the KCL one anyway, now that decisions have been made on the other 4? And OP still wants to keep that one.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It's not a situation I have dealt with, at least not in this exact form, but am I right in thinking that the only one that could be changed would be the KCL one anyway, now that decisions have been made on the other 4? And OP still wants to keep that one.

I do not know whether you can change a choice that has received an offer or rejection. There seems to be nothing on the UCAS website that says one can't.
Reply 4
Thank you for your answers! I am way past the 7 days, does that mean there is likely no chance?
No chance, that's just the way it goes with unis. I had four rejection last year, rejected from two courses at one uni, rejected for one course at another uni. Rejected for one course and accepted for another course at the uni am at. I just had a bit of luck when I actually got too the uni and got onto course I was rejected for the one I really wanted to do. So you never known, what can happen and change. Circumstances allowed me a chance at the course I really wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nulli tertius
I do not know whether you can change a choice that has received an offer or rejection. There seems to be nothing on the UCAS website that says one can't.

I'm sure I've seen a thread on this somewhere here and the answer is no, which is what you'd expect, since it amounts to an extra bite of the cherry. I can't put my finger on the evidence, though.
Original post by tlunn223
Thank you for your answers! I am way past the 7 days, does that mean there is likely no chance?

If you are past the 7 days, you are not allowed to change your choices, unfortunately. At least you do have two offers, and will hopefully get one from KCL too.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If you are past the 7 days, you are not allowed to change your choices, unfortunately. At least you do have two offers, and will hopefully get one from KCL too.

Can you clear up Nulli's and my query about changing if it's still within 7 days but the university has rejected (or even offered, I suppose) before the deadline? I KNOW you can't but I just can't quote chapter and verse on it.
Can you clear up Nulli's and my query about changing if it's still within 7 days but the university has rejected (or even offered, I suppose) before the deadline? I KNOW you can't but I just can't quote chapter and verse on it.

It's honestly not something I've ever come across. In my experience, the majority of people don't get offers/rejections within the first 7 days anyway, as it takes time to process the applications, make decisions and so on.

It feels wrong though, that someone would be able to replace a rejection with another choice. I can see the arguement for allowing people to change acceptances, as they would be the one losing out. I can't find anything on the UCAS website, so it's probably just something that doesn't come up very often.

If the university has made you an offer, I think at the very least they would have to release you from your offer, as they would e.g. if you wanted to go into clearing. I'm not sure what would happen if waiting for them to release you took you over the seven day deadline, either.
It's honestly not something I've ever come across. In my experience, the majority of people don't get offers/rejections within the first 7 days anyway, as it takes time to process the applications, make decisions and so on.

It feels wrong though, that someone would be able to replace a rejection with another choice. I can see the arguement for allowing people to change acceptances, as they would be the one losing out. I can't find anything on the UCAS website, so it's probably just something that doesn't come up very often.

If the university has made you an offer, I think at the very least they would have to release you from your offer, as they would e.g. if you wanted to go into clearing. I'm not sure what would happen if waiting for them to release you took you over the seven day deadline, either.

I'm wondering if the fact that as at long last everything is electronic, the speed of responses may make this an issue where it couldn't be before. People are reporting offers within 2 hours on some threads! Understandably people are much more reluctant to report such rapid rejections, but I'm guessing there are some which come within 7 days. I agree, it's just wrong and I'm sure if such a loophole exists, it will get closed, but I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere.
I'm wondering if the fact that as at long last everything is electronic, the speed of responses may make this an issue where it couldn't be before. People are reporting offers within 2 hours on some threads! Understandably people are much more reluctant to report such rapid rejections, but I'm guessing there are some which come within 7 days. I agree, it's just wrong and I'm sure if such a loophole exists, it will get closed, but I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere.

Yeah, I have seen some super quick offers. I have known people to get rejected very quickly (usually on the basis of not having the required GCSE results and not retaking). However, usually admissions tutors are keen to check for extenuating circumstances before making a rejection, so it might take a little longer.

Tbh I am pretty sure this loophole doesn't exist, UCAS just don't mention it specifically, probably because it doesn't come up often, if at all.
Yeah, I have seen some super quick offers. I have known people to get rejected very quickly (usually on the basis of not having the required GCSE results and not retaking). However, usually admissions tutors are keen to check for extenuating circumstances before making a rejection, so it might take a little longer.

Tbh I am pretty sure this loophole doesn't exist, UCAS just don't mention it specifically, probably because it doesn't come up often, if at all.

I feel the same, but wish I could say why!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending