The Student Room Group

Early Applications for PG Studies

Don't know whether there is any similar thread (in case sorry for not seeing it)...

I was wondering, is there any difference (in terms of possibilities to be accepted) based on when one applies to a Master's degree? Do early applications increase the possibilities to be accepted?
Reply 1
It depends on the type of course and the individual university.

If the course is popular and regularly oversubscribed, then it may have a cap on numbers. There could be a cut-off point where no further applications are considered. From what I've seen on TSR, these are likely to be courses such as MBAs and other business/finance related courses. If you're applying to one of these courses, then an early application would give you a greater chance of an offer.

However, many Masters courses recruit throughout the year. Mine accepted applications up to a month before the course start date, but it had a relatively low acceptance rate (I think it gave 1 offer for every 8 applications in my year).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
It depends on the type of course and the individual university.

If the course is popular and regularly oversubscribed, then it may have a cap on numbers. There could be a cut-off point where no further applications are considered. From what I've seen on TSR, these are likely to be courses such as MBAs and other business/finance related courses. If you're applying to one of these courses, then an early application would give you a greater chance of an offer.

However, many Masters courses recruit throughout the year. Mine accepted applications up to a month before the course start date, but it had a relatively low acceptance rate (I think it gave 1 offer for every 8 applications in my year).

Thanks for the reply :smile:! ...And what is early? For instance, if a Master's accepts applications up to one month before the start, when would you say an early application is?
Reply 3
Original post by polscistudent88
Thanks for the reply :smile:! ...And what is early? For instance, if a Master's accepts applications up to one month before the start, when would you say an early application is?

I applied in October 2010 and the Masters started in September 2011. That was definitely early. I was given a conditional offer within a month.
Reply 5
Original post by polscistudent88
Don't know whether there is any similar thread (in case sorry for not seeing it)...

I was wondering, is there any difference (in terms of possibilities to be accepted) based on when one applies to a Master's degree? Do early applications increase the possibilities to be accepted?

This can be uni and department specific. Some unis specify closing dates for applications and only look at all of them after that. Others specify a closing date but start giving out offers as applications come in. Still others (LSE springs to mind) have rolling admissions and give out offers until such time as they have given out enough, which is early in the year for some courses and late for others.
Thanks sj27, thought it was something like that... Guess the earlier the better when one is not sure how the dept will make its decisions...

Quick Reply

Latest