The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8920
Original post by Plato's Trousers
Oh most definitely it is. I avoid 3D usually and agree with the good Dr that it is generally an unnecessary gimmick. But this film is an exception. The whole thing is about creating the illusion of 3D space. The 3D is essential, as is a big screen. You need to feel enveloped by space.

That's settled then, here's to 90 minutes of uncomfortable glasses on glasses action. :colonhash:
Original post by aja89
That's settled then, here's to 90 minutes of uncomfortable glasses on glasses action. :colonhash:

you'll not regret it. I saw it in IMAX 3D and am going again already!

(but I am just a big kid) :sadnod:
Original post by aja89

I was also known as "6 eyes" for the duration of the film, but it wasn't too bad. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh most definitely it is. I avoid 3D usually and agree with the good Dr that it is generally an unnecessary gimmick. But this film is an exception. The whole thing is about creating the illusion of 3D space. The 3D is essential, as is a big screen. You need to feel enveloped by space.

Thanks for the heads up I was just going to see this in normal, but will do 3D now. Too bad I don't live in London anymore, could have gone to the Waterloo IMAX.
you'll not regret it. I saw it in IMAX 3D and am going again already!

(but I am just a big kid) :sadnod:

I'm tempted to go again in a couple of weeks too when the crowds die down. I won't be able to recreate the spectacle at home.
Original post by silent ninja
I'm tempted to go again in a couple of weeks too when the crowds die down. I won't be able to recreate the spectacle at home.

I was thinking...of all the films to see on a plane, this would be the worst possible one!
I was thinking...of all the films to see on a plane, this would be the worst possible one!

Flight? Alive?

That's the one where the survivors eat each other to stay alive...then you learn it's based on true events!

But yeah I understand you meant in terms of a tiny screen and awful audio :P

Sent from my HTC One
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm also probably gonna go back to see Gravity again in a couple of weeks. Pretty much just to see the Northern Lights-shot again.
Reply 8930

Looks like it could be good, wasn't sure about it when it was announced.
Original post by Deshi

Meh. I trust Aronofsky, who has made some stunningly jarring movies in his time, to deliver a good job, but the trailer has a "2012 in biblical times" feel to it and also has some classic trailer clichés ("... and you stand alone and defy me?" - dramatic pause - "I'm not alone."). That being said, I look forward to seeing it on the big screen, should be spectacular if nothing else.
Reply 8932
Original post by Deshi

I'm still not at all sure about it but will see on the basis on some of Aronofsky's previous.
God I hate these monumental films. Looks dreadfully pretentious.
I'd say Aronofsky is a hugely unreliable director. Black Swan was absolutely brilliant and easily the best film of 2011. But some of his films are infuriatingly pretentious and almost unwatchable.

I shall probably give it a go, though, as he is never boring!
Reply 8935
Original post by Deshi

I saw the trailer for this yesterday, and I have to say it looks pretty bad to me. :erm:
Reply 8936
Seeing The Butler on Wednesday, really looking forward to it. Historical schmaltz fests are my absolute guilty pleasure.
Has anyone else seen the Counselor? Watching that was an experience...
Original post by hockeyjoe

No. And I'm not planning to. It sounds terrible. Here is Dr K's review http://goo.gl/T4XtyH
Gravity today :excited: I will read your blog post aja properly once I've seen it (I was afraid if I read it beforehand I'd come across a few spoilers).

Original post by hockeyjoe

I've seen the trailer and it looks boring (and I'm not a fan of Fassbender as a person but that doesn't stop him from getting good roles so meh); although trailers aren't always enough to base judgements on so it might be good, somehow. I think it's just one of those non-hit movies Hollywood churn out to get some pocket money.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest