The Student Room Group

Woman who posted on twitter about knocking a cyclist over - Found guilty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-25000788

Does anyone remember this case back in May?

Good news, she got charged for it. She should have been stripped off her driving license to be fair.

Emma Way, 22, clipped cyclist Toby Hockley with her car in Norfolk in May.

She then tweeted: "Definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier. I have right of way - he doesn't even pay road tax! #Bloodycyclists."

Norwich magistrates convicted her of failing to stop after an accident and failing to report it, which she denied.

Miss Way, of Watton, was acquitted of driving without due care and attention.

She was ordered to pay a £337 fine, £300 in costs and was given seven points on her licence.

How the **** can you not stop to see if the cyclist is okay?? If I hit someone when driving, the first thing you do is stop for the person and ring up the ambulance (if needed).
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

hahahahahahahahaha what an idiot of a woman.
Reply 2
Original post by James A

Good news, she got charged for it. She should have been stripped off her driving license to be fair.

How the **** can you not stop to see if the cyclist is okay?? If I hit someone when driving, the first thing you do is stop for the person and ring up the ambulance (if needed).

How can she be so stupid??
Reply 3
Wonder how she managed to wriggle out of the due care charge? It doesn't get much more careless than knocking over another road user and failing to stop IMO… :erm:
Reply 4
Original post by Ben_K
How can she be so stupid??

Original post by Dez
Wonder how she managed to wriggle out of the due care charge? It doesn't get much more careless than knocking over another road user and failing to stop IMO… :erm:

Her excuse was:

"I did not think he was injured - if I did I would definitely have stopped."

What a silly girl.
Original post by Dez

Unfortunately for most, lawyers know of loopholes.

Original post by James A
Her excuse was:

What a silly girl.

Yeah silly, but her excuse has nothing to do with being acquitted from the charge.
Reply 6
Original post by James A
Her excuse was:

What a silly girl.

WTF?!

She so deserved it - not only doing that but then boasting about on Twitter too... :eek:
Reply 7
Stupid woman. I would have also reported it to the police.
People really hate cyclists. Especially taxi drivers, some of them will purposely push you into other cars for their own amusement.
Reply 9
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
People really hate cyclists. Especially taxi drivers, some of them will purposely push you into other cars for their own amusement.

I would never cycle in London (my home), it's pretty much a recipe for getting injured. So many people have died on the road this year :frown:
Stupid bitch. I'm glad she was charged, she thoroughly deserved it. If I were the cyclist, I'd sue her in civil court as well.
Reply 11
Original post by Alpha brah
I would never cycle in London (my home), it's pretty much a recipe for getting injured. So many people have died on the road this year :frown:

I only cycle from my halls to the uni campus. I would never dare of going to the Reading town centre by bicycle, let alone the streets of London.

My uni journey is pretty safe though :biggrin:
Reply 12
The first thing my parents drilled into me once I got my driving license was to always stop at a scene of an accident if you hit someone, even if you didn't think it was your fault.

It most likely is in the highway code too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by James A
I only cycle from my halls to the uni campus. I would never dare of going to the Reading town centre by bicycle, let alone the streets of London.

My uni journey is pretty safe though :biggrin:

Reading should be pretty safe :tongue: Most places are. I hate Central London even just as a pedestrian though (I'm from SW so fine to cycle there if you're careful)
Reply 14
Original post by James A
The first thing my parents drilled into me once I got my driving license was to always stop at a scene of an accident if you hit someone, even if you didn't think it was your fault.

It most likely is in the highway code too.

It's also the law. You have to stop at the scene of an accident, regardless of the severity of it. Shouldn't do it "because parents tell you to", should do it because that's what you have to do.
Reply 15
Original post by Drewski
It's also the law. You have to stop at the scene of an accident, regardless of the severity of it. Shouldn't do it "because parents tell you to", should do it because that's what you have to do.

Apologies, I didn't mention in my comment above that my parents also told me that it's part of the law.

If it wasn't for my parents telling me about stopping at the scene of an accident, the first thing I would do is refer to the highway code.

I shouldn't take my parent's word as gospel though, I should have checked the law as you were implying.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
As bad as it sounds

I must admit I did laugh
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Unfortunately for most, lawyers know of loopholes

The other side have lawyers too.

Miss Way claims that the cyclist was to blame for the accident. Clearly the magistrates thought that having heard the evidence, there was reasonable doubt that the accident was caused by her driving at a lower standard than was to be expected.

The fact that she failed to stop and report the accident has to be considered separately.

Silly girl - who was to blame for the accident is unclear so I won't critique her driving (as so many are doing, despite her being acquitted on the due care charge...). But to drive off and then tweet about it is foolish.
Stupid wench!
Original post by James A

The next thing you do is report the accident to the Police. Without even reading the article I'm assuming she got done for leaving the scene of an accident and failing to report it.

Some people are so stupid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending