The Student Room Group

Why is make-up, and dressing nicely so important to some young men?

My brother and his friends basically date girls because of how pretty their faces are (i.e. how good they are with make-up), or the way they dress regardless of personality or niceness. As a girl, if an older man approached me and had a really attractive face and dressed beautifully, I'd reject instantly, why are guys any different? For me a nice personality has to be there, and also you hear that lots of guys are looking for a Stepford wife these days, is that true?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Btw, I only date guys who have high standards looks wise, but I thought I'd create this thread anyway.
"Why is makeup and dressing nicely so important to some young men?"

Young men just like to look good, I guess. :tongue:

....sorry, couldn't resist xD
Reply 3
Original post by Ranibizumab
"Why is makeup and dressing nicely so important to some young men?"

Young men just like to look good, I guess. :tongue:

....sorry, couldn't resist xD

The internetz, you have won them. :tongue:

Some guys wear eyeliner really well though :colondollar:
Reply 4
I'm so used to seeing girls with makeup that, frankly, it doesn't look right if they don't wear any. Sadly with makeup, girls think they're more attractive than they really are, so their standards go way up. This makes the average guy look ugly in comparison to the average girl.
We all know the answer: guys want a gorgeous girl hanging off their arm.

BTW, that comma in the title offends me :frown:
... For once, I'm gonna jump in on the opposite side here. There's nothing from with being initially attracted to a good, and hence asking her out for a drink, just because she's pretty. It's not like you can know exactly what her personality is from just seeing her, and you're not about to ask out someone who you don't find attractive at all on the basis they may possibly have a nice personality.
Reply 7
Original post by Maid Marian
We all know the answer: guys want a gorgeous girl hanging off their arm.

BTW, that comma in the title offends me :frown:

But don't some guys prefer girls natural?

Spoiler

I hardly ever wear make-up but have never struggled to find guys. That's probably because looking into my eyes is seeing the face of God, though.
Reply 9
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I hardly ever wear make-up but have never struggled to find guys. That's probably because looking into my eyes is seeing the face of God, though.

Heh, same; 'tis a parody of the other silly thread :fyi:. Having said that, hopefully it will spark an interesting discussion nonetheless. :biggrin:
Original post by Alpha brah
Heh, same; 'tis a parody of the other silly thread :fyi:. Having said that, hopefully it will spark an interesting discussion nonetheless. :biggrin:

Oh, yeah, I totally got that...
Reply 11
Oh, yeah, I totally got that...

What is your avatar/username based on, btw? Seem familiar, but I can't quite place them.
What is your avatar/username based on, btw? Seem familiar, but I can't quite place them.

My username's a Katatonia album :smile:
Reply 13
Erm how good does a personality feel when having sex with it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
My username's a Katatonia album :smile:

Oh ofc! I think my brother has that album, he loves metal :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by Egghead123
Erm how good does personality feel when having sex with it?

How good do looks feel? :dontknow:

Spoiler

Oh ofc! I think my brother has that album, he loves metal :tongue:

Is he single/of consenting age? I'll settle for 1 out of 2.
My brother and his friends basically date girls because of how pretty their faces are (i.e. how good they are with make-up), or the way they dress regardless of personality or niceness. As a girl, if an older man approached me and had a really attractive face and dressed beautifully, I'd reject instantly, why are guys any different? For me a nice personality has to be there, and also you hear that lots of guys are looking for a Stepford wife these days, is that true?

How old is your brother?
If he's going for looks regardless of personality, he may not have spent much time with a partner with an irritating personality yet.

....once you've done so, one becomes much more fussy. Personality then becomes much more important!
Reply 18
Is he single/of consenting age? I'll settle for 1 out of 2.

He's 17, you must know some other guys into metal surely though? Mummy's trying to get him out of it, she hates it when he plays it in the house so he has to always wear headphones :yep:
He's 17, you must know some other guys into metal surely though? Mummy's trying to get him out of it, she hates it when he plays it in the house so he has to always wear headphones :yep:

I was (half) kidding. I'm 25 and that's a bit too rich for my blood even for me. Haha, she'll never get him out of it, I've been a fan for well over 10 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending