The Student Room Group

anyone appeal successfully after being rejected?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LightBlueSoldier
How can you be involved in recruitment if you're willing to mislead people on internet forums by telling them the complete opposite of what will get them into uni? Cambridge does not care at all what your extra curriculars are. It has absolutely no bearing on the application process.

I stand corrected. Well I hire people, Its as simple as that. Ive never hired a Cambridge grad tho, Ive never seen a CV that impressed me (although Im sure there are hundreds that would!). Ive hired PPE and History Oxford, Imperial, LSE and a few Ivy Leagues.

OK - sure - I stand corrected. It would put me off someone and make me regard the university less tho. Saying that I wouldnt hire someone who wasnt well rounded and interesting - so I guess its not relevant!
Reply 61
Original post by icouldntthinkofone
Interesting. How much do you look at 'fit' within the company/the culture of the firm?

Hugely. It's really important to get people who can work well within their respective teams. We are quite a 'target' company for applicants so we can be choosy, it's a given that the shortlists all have good academic records and for the jobs that require it the right experience, and we have a pretty intensive recruitment process for those who make it past the first round interviews. But the point was that we certainly wouldn't just look askance at a candidate because they happened to go to a university that didn't take extracurriculars into account in accepting kids when they were 18.
Original post by sj27
Hugely. It's really important to get people who can work well within their respective teams. We are quite a 'target' company for applicants so we can be choosy, it's a given that the shortlists all have good academic records and for the jobs that require it the right experience, and we have a pretty intensive recruitment process for those who make it past the first round interviews. But the point was that we certainly wouldn't just look askance at a candidate because they happened to go to a university that didn't take extracurriculars into account in accepting kids when they were 18.

Do you put any value on Masters qualifications etc? Would you place any value on the fact that they had, say worked at Tesco, during their time at Uni?
I stand corrected. Well I hire people, Its as simple as that. Ive never hired a Cambridge grad tho, Ive never seen a CV that impressed me (although Im sure there are hundreds that would!). Ive hired PPE and History Oxford, Imperial, LSE and a few Ivy Leagues.

OK - sure - I stand corrected. It would put me off someone and make me regard the university less tho. Saying that I wouldnt hire someone who wasnt well rounded and interesting - so I guess its not relevant!
Sure I agree. As I understand it a lot of people here think that Cambridge should spend more time helping to improve the job prospects of its students.
Reply 64
Do you put any value on Masters qualifications etc? Would you place any value on the fact that they had, say worked at Tesco, during their time at Uni?

For some jobs - like economists and quant-related jobs - we definitely prefer a masters (or alternatively actuarial exams for the quants). For other jobs it's not necessarily an advantage but certainly not a disadvantage. If someone has worked part-time to help support themselves at uni - we don't have generous student finance schemes like the UK - and still does well of course that reflects well on them, but we wouldn't discriminate against someone just because s/he was lucky enough to come from a rich family or academically talented enough to get a generous scholarship and didn't have to work while at uni.
Reply 65
If someone went to Cambridge, I would have (apparently wrongly) assumed they had something more to them than just being gifted academically. I spend less than 10 seconds looking at each CV - I dont have time. I interview them, within 5 mins I know whether to progress the interview further. Equally, when meeting someone at networking events etc you have to make a quick judgement. Prior to this I would have given good probability to the fact they were well rounded etc. It somewhat diminishes that probability from what I have been told on here I guess

Do your CVs go through HR before they get to you? Is there typically more than one person who interviews prospective applicants?
Original post by sj27
Do your CVs go through HR before they get to you? Is there typically more than one person who interviews prospective applicants?

Depends which co we are talking about. In the past when I was part of a bigger co, yes, they were processed and then a stack brought to our desks - would review quickly and say which ones happy to interview. Interview - hire.

Yes, its normally 3. One junior, 2 senior.

What about you?
Reply 67
If someone went to Cambridge, I would have (apparently wrongly) assumed they had something more to them than just being gifted academically. I spend less than 10 seconds looking at each CV - I dont have time. I interview them, within 5 mins I know whether to progress the interview further. Equally, when meeting someone at networking events etc you have to make a quick judgement. Prior to this I would have given good probability to the fact they were well rounded etc. It somewhat diminishes that probability from what I have been told on here I guess

I really wouldn't want to work for someone this blockheaded. Cambridge obviously educates the brightest minds so I think it is plausible that such a smart person would function well in a given job that is related to their course of study.

Do you think academia flourishes in a vacuum?

Surely, being on a sports team wouldn't help in performing your duties in the workplace.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
I really wouldn't want to work for someone this blockheaded. Cambridge obviously educates the brightest minds so I think it is plausible that such a smart person would function well in a given job that is related to their course of study.

Do you think academia flourishes in a vacuum?

Surely, being on a sports team wouldn't help in performing your duties in the workplace.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well welcome to the world of work :smile:.
Actually, I think you will find Harvard, Stanford, Chicago et al do their fair share aswell, not to mention Oxford, Imperial.

Obviously, it would. If it builds team working, leadership and communication skills - all of paramount importance in most meaningful jobs - then it helps. Sports would hugely help this.
Reply 69
OP Im probably gonna be in your position as well, as I'm probably gonna get rejected by my first choice university. It sucks.
Reply 70
Actually, I think you will find Harvard, Stanford, Chicago et al do their fair share aswell, not to mention Oxford, Imperial.

Obviously, it would. If it builds team working, leadership and communication skills - all of paramount importance in most meaningful jobs - then it helps. Sports would hugely help this.

Oxford's focus on academics is virtually identical to Cambridge's, just saying.
Reply 71
The fact you are so focussed on your UMS sort of suggests to me that the rest of your picture is weak. I dont think it really matters that much - like I said, Id be far more impressed with someone who had scrapped AAAA but had also captained the rugby team, led a local volunteering effort and done something really impressive. The fact you didnt get an interview suggests you were nowhere near Im afraid, or just that probability was just against you (sometimes that just happens).

My advice to you would be to think very strongly about why you wanted to go there - if you have a genuine reason, then think seriously about taking a year out and re-applying. If it is because its ranked no1 and there is little else to it, then goto another uni.

What have you done extra curricular? What did you apply for?

Cambridge and Oxford do not care about any of these thing with the potential exception being work experience for Medicine.
Reply 72

Err, Cambridge is the world's best university. It is for a reason. Those league tables use all sorts of variables to come up with their "rankings" so don't go on about "this league table says this and the other says that"

There are many things that favour good communication skills, team work and leadership qualities. For example good communication skills can be natural to some, group projects or group lab assignments build team work, being the leader of a maths olympiad team can build leadership qualities.

Surely none of those require irrelevant EC activities. These things I mention, Cambridge do look at them - all academic and transferable to the workforce.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How can you be involved in recruitment if you're willing to mislead people on internet forums by telling them the complete opposite of what will get them into uni? Cambridge does not care at all what your extra curriculars are. It has absolutely no bearing on the application process.

It is not misleading, in fact the Cambridge literature in itself is misleading. It would make more sense for them to ask for A*A*A for some subjects like other top universities do, thus removing the whole idea of "scrape a grade" people even applying. Further discrepancies exist.
They emphasize academic ability, but this does not mean EC's are meaningless as EC augments ones own ability academically anyway.

OP should probably email for feedback. Apparently this year they got a really high number of applicants.
Original post by Arieisit
Err, Cambridge is the world's best university. It is for a reason. Those league tables use all sorts of variables to come up with their "rankings" so don't go on about "this league table says this and the other says that"

There are many things that favour good communication skills, team work and leadership qualities. For example good communication skills can be natural to some, group projects or group lab assignments build team work, being the leader of a maths olympiad team can build leadership qualities.

Surely none of those require irrelevant EC activities. These things I mention, Cambridge do look at them - all academic and transferable to the workforce.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it isn't. Almost every single ranking Ive ever seen has placed Harvard as no 1, every single company CEO Ive ever met wouldwide says different, Harvard has far more money to spend per student, I believe Harvard/Columbia both have more Nobel Prize winners, Stanford/MIT/Harvard lead the field in almost every major area of research Ive ever looked at any rankign for, Cambridge has a very limited business school (although improving) etc etc etc.

Have you been to Harvard/Stanford/Chicago for yourself???
Original post by Brambleclaw
It is not misleading, in fact the Cambridge literature in itself is misleading. It would make more sense for them to ask for A*A*A for some subjects like other top universities do, thus removing the whole idea of "scrape a grade" people even applying. Further discrepancies exist.
They emphasize academic ability, but this does not mean EC's are meaningless as EC augments ones own ability academically anyway.

OP should probably email for feedback. Apparently this year they got a really high number of applicants.

There is a difference between academics ECs (like competing in a maths challenge) and what are 'true' ECs (like playing sport). The latter are totally irrelevant.
Reply 76
No it isn't. Almost every single ranking Ive ever seen has placed Harvard as no 1, every single company CEO Ive ever met wouldwide says different, Harvard has far more money to spend per student, I believe Harvard/Columbia both have more Nobel Prize winners, Stanford/MIT/Harvard lead the field in almost every major area of research Ive ever looked at any rankign for, Cambridge has a very limited business school (although improving) etc etc etc.

Have you been to Harvard/Stanford/Chicago for yourself???

Business schools? What a joke. Everyone knows that business degrees are mickey mouse degrees. Most of it is common sense really and you can bull**** your way through the entire degree and still get top grades (I know several people who have done this)

On the other hand, Cambridge has so much Nobel prise winners in Science that most others when compared is a joke.

I'm not disputing that Harvard and Stanford are good unis but just that Cambridge is better in terms of merits in the important fields.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Depends which co we are talking about. In the past when I was part of a bigger co, yes, they were processed and then a stack brought to our desks - would review quickly and say which ones happy to interview. Interview - hire.

Yes, its normally 3. One junior, 2 senior.

What about you?

Like I said, our process is intensive. We certainly spend more than 10 seconds on a CV, and a candidate that's made it past the first round interview - of which there are typically not many - will spend 1-2 days in our offices being interviewed and undergoing psychometric tests (I'm not fond of the latter but some like them). They'll typically have been interviewed by around 15 people during the second round interviews - first round is HR and a couple of relevant team members. As I said, fit is hugely important and it's important to us to get the right people, so we do a lot more than yes/no based on alma mater. Making mistakes in recruitment and having revolving doors as a result, or under performers who don't fit in, is terrible for team morale. We'd rather spend the time upfront than deal with the fallout of a wrong decision later.

Anyway this is all getting off topic, we've already established that ECs don't count for Cambridge and whether or not they count in job interviews is hardly going to help the OP at this stage.
There is a difference between academics ECs (like competing in a maths challenge) and what are 'true' ECs (like playing sport). The latter are totally irrelevant.

maths challenge is irrelevant unless you do very well in the Olympiad. Also ECs such as sport and music what you call true "ECs" develop your academic ability through refining your mind.

Have you never heard of the saying "A healthy body, a healthy mind"?
Reply 79
I might add that almost every ranking that has Harvard at #1 has Cambridge at #2 or 3. I'd hardly be fussed about Cam's rankings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending