The Student Room Group

What career would suit me? Generally struggling with this.

Scroll to see replies

I think you've got time to think about this but perhaps some work experience in the areas people have suggested would help to clarify things. It looks like you'll need further training.

You need to bear in mind that partners one has at 19 might not still be in your life in 5 years time so you do need to think about supporting yourself. ( Not to mention problems like him/ her being ill etc.)

Also in the real world if you don't work when you're young you'll be very poor and/ or working when you're old.

I know which one I'd prefer.
Reply 81
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I've looked into it before but the route seems a bit hazy, they seem to want experience but no one tells you how to get it. I'm going to offer my services for free (makes me sound like a make up whore) to new models photographers and see if it works that way.

Yeah, if you swap make up on the models for copies of the photos, you can build up a good portfolio. Setting up a blog would help get you noticed more. Then you could set up a business doing make up for events like proms and weddings to build you up further.
I'd say you're looking at some kind of self-employed or freelance work. You're going to need to pick something your are talented at and is quite highly skilled, otherwise you aren't going to be able to combine 3 days a week, with £20k, with flexible and fun. Impossible without knowing your talents or interests. I'm sure there are people in the arts word doing similar jobs but not many on those kind of salaries. You're basically looking for a part time job on full time wages, I think its unrealistic.
Original post by CJKay
My little brother who failed all his GCSEs has more realistic expectations than this. :s-smilie:
This is pretty much that stereotypical entitled feminist story.

This has nothing to do with me being a feminist, neither is it unrealistic.
Original post by 2ndClass
Hmm, I always thought you were older tbh, why did you move out so early?

Uni. I could have gone locally but my parents were prepared to pay for a flat for me so why not :tongue:

Original post by syrettd
Yeah, if you swap make up on the models for copies of the photos, you can build up a good portfolio. Setting up a blog would help get you noticed more. Then you could set up a business doing make up for events like proms and weddings to build you up further.

These are great ideas :smile:
Housewife / married to a rich man.
Reply 85
I'm in a similar boat, absolutely no idea what to do with myself for the time being. The suggestions I'm getting are a little ludicrous...

But I do think 20k for only 3 days a week and something fun is shooting pretty high on the unrealistic expectations score, especially if you don't have any particularly sought after skills. There are people with degrees and certain abilities that barely scrape that much in today's job market. :dontknow:

I'd have said something in event organising for you, though... it seems like it'd suit you.
Original post by IlexBlue
I'm in a similar boat, absolutely no idea what to do with myself for the time being. The suggestions I'm getting are a little ludicrous...

But I do think 20k for only 3 days a week and something fun is shooting pretty high on the unrealistic expectations score, especially if you don't have any particularly sought after skills. There are people with degrees and certain abilities that barely scrape that much in today's job market. :dontknow:

I'd have said something in event organising for you, though... it seems like it'd suit you.

I should have specified I meant 20k overall, like when you've been doing it for a while. Not starting out. But yeah jobs are hard to get which is annoying

That, makeup artistry and interior design are my favourites that have been suggested. It's giving me some idea
Reply 87
Glamour model
Reply 88
I should have specified I meant 20k overall, like when you've been doing it for a while. Not starting out. But yeah jobs are hard to get which is annoying

That, makeup artistry and interior design are my favourites that have been suggested. It's giving me some idea

Ohh, okay. My mistake.

Make-up artistry sounds like a good idea. :yes:
Original post by IlexBlue
Ohh, okay. My mistake.

Make-up artistry sounds like a good idea. :yes:

It's just getting into it seems really hard, the whole I can't get a job because I have no experience because I can't get a job because I have no experience because I can't get a job :frown:

But some people have given me some really awesome ideas on here
So I've been through loads of career ideas and to be honest none of them suit me. I'm just going to bullet point what I want and see if anyone has any suggestions, because I don't like not having any idea

Part time. I don't want to work more than 3 days a week.

People focused. I'm a people person. I HATE analytical/stats/data/academia.

I'm not bothered about advancing/getting a "top job' or whatever. As long as it pays more than £20k a year, I'm fine

Creative. Preferably. Again I'm more creative than academic.

FUN. If I get bored I'll quit. I have the attention span of a kitten.

Flexible. I don't do well with rules that aren't flexible.

I honestly don't know what I want to do :dontknow: If people could just give me some ideas because I don't even know where to look?

What about something like a make up artist or something to do with fashion. From what you've said on here you know your stuff about that kind of thing so maybe that be something you would enjoy plus you can do it parttime/ freelance?
Original post by SillyMilly
What about something like a make up artist or something to do with fashion. From what you've said on here you know your stuff about that kind of thing so maybe that be something you would enjoy plus you can do it parttime/ freelance?

That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to try to set up a portfolio while doing my degree :smile:
I know of people who've done things such as art therapy where they've helped kids who've been through trauma to express their feelings through art, stuff like that may interest you.

Also, in terms of bf's career I seem to remember he wants to be a lawyer (or just does law?) and beware that burnout is common in corporate if he goes that route. It's likely he'd be fine after a bit, but I know quite a few lawyers who've just driven themselves into the ground for years and had to take six months without pay to get themselves together before going in house, the the regions or whatever but your salary may be suddenly important for a period.
Very unrealistic standards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Fitness Instructor
Outdoor activity leader/kinda person or whatever, like leading kayaking/canoeing sessions etc
Original post by Le Nombre
I know of people who've done things such as art therapy where they've helped kids who've been through trauma to express their feelings through art, stuff like that may interest you.

Also, in terms of bf's career I seem to remember he wants to be a lawyer (or just does law?) and beware that burnout is common in corporate if he goes that route. It's likely he'd be fine after a bit, but I know quite a few lawyers who've just driven themselves into the ground for years and had to take six months without pay to get themselves together before going in house, the the regions or whatever but your salary may be suddenly important for a period.

That does interest me.

Yeah he wants to be a solicitor. He's very driven and ambitious, but I worry about him overworking himself.
x

As others have said, your perfect job doesn't exist. You can probably get close to your ideal job but you'll never get it spot on. There will always be bits of the job you hate, no matter what job it is.

This point:

Isn't the right attitude. As a rough estimate, you're looking to work 60% of what a full time employee would work, therefore your salary of £20k part time would be the same as £33k (let's say £35k) that a full time employee would earn. To earn that money you're going to need some special skills. How do you get skills? By sitting at the bottom of the pecking order doing a boring job. In your first few years of employment you'll be worth nothing to the company, just another robot doing a repetitive job. If you're going to quit each time you get bored, you'll never get anywhere.
Original post by Runninground
As others have said, your perfect job doesn't exist. You can probably get close to your ideal job but you'll never get it spot on. There will always be bits of the job you hate, no matter what job it is.

This point:

Isn't the right attitude. As a rough estimate, you're looking to work 60% of what a full time employee would work, therefore your salary of £20k part time would be the same as £33k (let's say £35k) that a full time employee would earn. To earn that money you're going to need some special skills. How do you get skills? By sitting at the bottom of the pecking order doing a boring job. In your first few years of employment you'll be worth nothing to the company, just another robot doing a repetitive job. If you're going to quit each time you get bored, you'll never get anywhere.

I know I won't make a lot of money at the beginning, but it has to be fun. I can't do a job that bores me. I have bipolar and most of the time I'm hypomanic, and if it doesn't hold my interest I'll wonder off and end up doing something else.
That does interest me.

Yeah he wants to be a solicitor. He's very driven and ambitious, but I worry about him overworking himself.

If you worry about that it should help, but there's no doubt the culture of a big law firm is cut throat and encourages people to both actually work for long hours and put in 'face time', both of which are tiring in their own way. Obviously for some people this is what suits them, but there's no doubt it is a system that can, and does, chew people up and spit them out. Once he's done a VS he should have a better idea.
Original post by Le Nombre
If you worry about that it should help, but there's no doubt the culture of a big law firm is cut throat and encourages people to both actually work for long hours and put in 'face time', both of which are tiring in their own way. Obviously for some people this is what suits them, but there's no doubt it is a system that can, and does, chew people up and spit them out. Once he's done a VS he should have a better idea.

What's a VS? Yeah and he's a workaholic naturally so I always worry he'll get sucked in and end up burning out

Quick Reply