The Student Room Group

Predicted Grades

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mike_123
I think you can push for higher predicted grades. If unsuccessful, get your parents involved.

Also, I think I'll just work really hard this year and try getting AAB or ABB and then go through adjustment or even cancel the application and re-apply next year..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SirVeillance
Also, I think I'll just work really hard this year and try getting AAB or ABB and then go through adjustment or even cancel the application and re-apply next year..

Posted from TSR Mobile

To add another similar story to the thread- I got BBBC at AS (BBB in the ones I'm continuing) and am being predicted BBB, but again my teachers are saying I'm capable of AAB or maybe even an A* in maths. As you say, I've given up on trying to persuade them to change and am just going to try and get the best grades I can (partly to prove them wrong I have to admit!), with the intention of most probably reapplying next year :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by furryface12
To add another similar story to the thread- I got BBBC at AS (BBB in the ones I'm continuing) and am being predicted BBB, but again my teachers are saying I'm capable of AAB or maybe even an A* in maths. As you say, I've given up on trying to persuade them to change and am just going to try and get the best grades I can (partly to prove them wrong I have to admit!), with the intention of most probably reapplying next year :smile:

Pretty much identical to my situation. Getting grades above what they predict would be great.
If I can get AAB this year but offer is BBB, I will most probably try and go through adjustment. Failing that, I'll reapply next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
I've been predicted BBB in Maths, Chemistry and Physics respectively but I'm applying to one university that asks for AAB. I do have my heart set on it, but I'm gutted because I think it's unrealistic. Both my Maths and Chemistry teachers think I will get an A, but they wanted to predict me a B to be safe (which I was again a bit upset about.) They have both written in my reference that I have potential to get A grades and end up with AAB.
How likely do you all think I am to get an AAB offer? :confused:

I'm in the same predicament tbh.
I'm applying for two AAB universities one ABB and two BBB universities with BBB predictions. I got a BBBC at AS but dropped one of the subjects I got a B in. All my teachers think I'm capable of the 'A' but aren't willing to predict me the 'A' (apart from English Lit who predicted me a B as opposed to a C, which was helpful) I emailed my universities and they said they would consider me but I'm so terrified they'll reject me. It just sucks that some people get predicted higher in some schools while other schools decide to be difficult. It's not really a fair system because I'm now at a disadvantage to other students at other schools who were able to convince their teachers even if our grades were the same.

Just wanted to reply because I saw so many parallels between our situations, hopefully we both get our offers :smile: I'll let you know if I do get any (I'm applying for Politics and Philosophy) If I don't get the offers I want, I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed for adjustment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Rlove95
I'm in the same predicament tbh.
I'm applying for two AAB universities one ABB and two BBB universities with BBB predictions. I got a BBBC at AS but dropped one of the subjects I got a B in. All my teachers think I'm capable of the 'A' but aren't willing to predict me the 'A' (apart from English Lit who predicted me a B as opposed to a C, which was helpful) I emailed my universities and they said they would consider me but I'm so terrified they'll reject me. It just sucks that some people get predicted higher in some schools while other schools decide to be difficult. It's not really a fair system because I'm now at a disadvantage to other students at other schools who were able to convince their teachers even if our grades were the same.

Just wanted to reply because I saw so many parallels between our situations, hopefully we both get our offers :smile: I'll let you know if I do get any (I'm applying for Politics and Philosophy) If I don't get the offers I want, I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed for adjustment.

I know it is a really frustrating system. I know some other sixth forms in my local area have it as their policy to predict one grade higher than the pupil's AS results. My college for science subjects is known to be harsh predictions and the statistics show they do generally under predict. I don't think it's a fair system and I hope admissions tutor bear it in mind when they do look at applications.
I have applied for two AAB, one ABB and two BBB. I'd love to get into one of the AAB universities in particular as it is literally my dream university. I'm going for Engineering.
Good luck with your offers and the general application process! I shall post on here or DM you when I hear any news with mine too! If I don't get offers but I end up getting higher, then I'm really hoping there are some good places that come up through adjustment too. I didn't think there'd be quite a few people in the same situation as me!
I didn't mean for this thread to become a huge online battle due to my bad choice of words.
Anyone who can answer the original question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's TSR I'm afraid!

All uni's consider your predicted grades, PS, and your references anyway so I think you should apply, as long as your other choices are lower of course or more 'realistic' as it were.
Even if you get predicted AAB, due to your AS results, you would be seen as a weaker applicant. Whilst higher predictions would give you more of a chance, you'll probably be considered borderline either way, or just get rejected on the basis of you AS grades. Depending on the uni and the course, it is quite likely that they will have a lot of people applying with grades.

If it is your dream university, then it's worth a risky application, but don't forget you would have to actually get AAB in the summer. If you get BBB, then it's very unlikely you would be let on the course. However, if you don't get in this year, but do get AAB, you could reapply next year, as you would have a much higher chance of getting in.
Reply 27
Original post by Cool_JordH
That's TSR I'm afraid!

All uni's consider your predicted grades, PS, and your references anyway so I think you should apply, as long as your other choices are lower of course or more 'realistic' as it were.

I've come to realise unfortunately :frown:
Okay thanks! well I have put down 2 uni's that ask for BBB so I'm hoping they're more 'realistic' ones :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Even if you get predicted AAB, due to your AS results, you would be seen as a weaker applicant. Whilst higher predictions would give you more of a chance, you'll probably be considered borderline either way, or just get rejected on the basis of you AS grades. Depending on the uni and the course, it is quite likely that they will have a lot of people applying with grades.

If it is your dream university, then it's worth a risky application, but don't forget you would have to actually get AAB in the summer. If you get BBB, then it's very unlikely you would be let on the course. However, if you don't get in this year, but do get AAB, you could reapply next year, as you would have a much higher chance of getting in.

I've looked into adjustment aswell, but I don't know how many people get in there as it is a new system. Also, you can't apply to places you have been rejected from through adjustment.
I also looked as there were some good places for my course in clearing. On results day if I happened to get AAB but my only offer was BBB, I can opt to go through clearing but the university I have my offer from has to agree to release me, which is probably very unlikely...
I've been predicted BBB in Maths, Chemistry and Physics respectively but I'm applying to one university that asks for AAB. I do have my heart set on it, but I'm gutted because I think it's unrealistic. Both my Maths and Chemistry teachers think I will get an A, but they wanted to predict me a B to be safe (which I was again a bit upset about.) They have both written in my reference that I have potential to get A grades and end up with AAB.
How likely do you all think I am to get an AAB offer? :confused:

I think you still have a good chance of getting offers. Your teachers obviously think you can do it, or they wouldnt have told you that and wouldnt have put it in your personal statement.
However, out of your 5 choices, i would apply to 1 uni that asks for slightly lower grades, such as ABB or BBB, just to be on the safe side.
Reply 30
Original post by Emma:-)
I think you still have a good chance of getting offers. Your teachers obviously think you can do it, or they wouldnt have told you that and wouldnt have put it in your personal statement.
However, out of your 5 choices, i would apply to 1 uni that asks for slightly lower grades, such as ABB or BBB, just to be on the safe side.

I hope some of the higher universities see it as capable of getting AAB!
The actual predicted grades say BBB though :frown: I've applied to 2 universities asking for BBB :smile:
Reply 31
I got BBCC at AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got BBCC at AS and i've had offers from Lancaster and Newcastle for AAB - it's probably not for the same kind of course at all but it still shows to never give up :smile:
I've looked into adjustment aswell, but I don't know how many people get in there as it is a new system. Also, you can't apply to places you have been rejected from through adjustment.
I also looked as there were some good places for my course in clearing. On results day if I happened to get AAB but my only offer was BBB, I can opt to go through clearing but the university I have my offer from has to agree to release me, which is probably very unlikely...

If you get AAB, and want to change courses, don't go through clearing. It's much quicker and safer to go through adjustment as you hold on to your existing offer, so you don't have to wait for the university to release you (they can't refuse to do this, but it can take 24-48 hours or even longer which really matters in clearing).

Adjustment is a new system, and not that many people use it (as most are happy to get into their firm). However, you would still have the same choice of courses as in clearing, and the lack of offers given through it are due to the lack of applicants using it, not unis disliking it.

You can also take a year out and reapply with your grades.

That said, there is nothing wrong with one really risky choice on your application, so long as you have 4 other safer ones, and don't mind getting a rejection.
Reply 33
If you get AAB, and want to change courses, don't go through clearing. It's much quicker and safer to go through adjustment as you hold on to your existing offer, so you don't have to wait for the university to release you (they can't refuse to do this, but it can take 24-48 hours or even longer which really matters in clearing).

Adjustment is a new system, and not that many people use it (as most are happy to get into their firm). However, you would still have the same choice of courses as in clearing, and the lack of offers given through it are due to the lack of applicants using it, not unis disliking it.

You can also take a year out and reapply with your grades.

That said, there is nothing wrong with one really risky choice on your application, so long as you have 4 other safer ones, and don't mind getting a rejection.

Okay thanks for the great advice! Are the same courses available through adjustment as there are clearing then? I didn't know that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by harrym96
I got BBCC at AS and i've had offers from Lancaster and Newcastle for AAB - it's probably not for the same kind of course at all but it still shows to never give up :smile:

Wow great! That gives me the most tiny bit of hope haha :smile: I've applied for Engineering. Do you mind me asking what you applied for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by harrym96

What were your predicted grades too may I ask? Sorry for being nosy haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thanks for the great advice! Are the same courses available through adjustment as there are clearing then? I didn't know that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If a university has spaces it wants to fill, it will usually enter the courses in both clearing and adjustment. Even if the course is not specifically listed as being in adjustment, I'm sure if you spoke to the university directly, they would be happy to accept a student via adjustment. As the pool of students who are eligable for adjustment is usually relatively small (and a lot of students won't use the service) courses aren't often advertised as specifically "being in adjustment".
Reply 37
Original post by Hicko
You might as well apply mate I applied for a course standard offer AAA got predicted ABB and got an offer for ABB :smile:

what course and uni was this if u don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 38
If a university has spaces it wants to fill, it will usually enter the courses in both clearing and adjustment. Even if the course is not specifically listed as being in adjustment, I'm sure if you spoke to the university directly, they would be happy to accept a student via adjustment. As the pool of students who are eligable for adjustment is usually relatively small (and a lot of students won't use the service) courses aren't often advertised as specifically "being in adjustment".

I see...
So if I did find myself over achieving in a sense, you'd advise just contacting any universities that have spaces in clearing even though I'm going through adjustment?
I see...
So if I did find myself over achieving in a sense, you'd advise just contacting any universities that have spaces in clearing even though I'm going through adjustment?

It's a good place to start, as there isn't such a thing as an adjustment list, unlike the clearing list, but there's no harm in calling others on spec as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending