The Student Room Group

Bags taking up seats on trains

Scroll to see replies

I feel really awkward when I ask someone to move their stuff because then for me it feels like im inconveniencing them so I've just made it a habbit of standing . But im all for people making a stand because you do have a point the seat is fair game bags don't buy seats people do :smile:
Original post by Algorithm69
It doesn't matter if you don't move it. I'll move it for you because, guess what, your bags have no right to be on that seat. And by all means hurl abuse at me. You can't stop me taking that seat.

I guess I'm just an all-round more aware person than you. It doesn't take a genius to realise when a bus is nearing full capacity, and to act accordingly. Just like I don't wait for an old man to ask me for my seat, I offer him it, you should take steps to get your **** off the seat before a paying customer has to ask you.

Your lucky you've never met me, because if you touched my stuff without my permission, I would lose my ****. Yes, yes I can. My first instinct would be to lie across the seat if you did that. If you manhandled my property I would not be cooperative.

Why can you not just ask? You're just being difficult for the sake of it. It doesn't hurt you to say "excuse me, could I please sit there?" I say that if I have to sit next to someone I don't know even if there isn't anything on the seat, because it's polite. Don't be a knobjokey yeah
I've had newspapers and a cigarette packet occupy a seat today so I had to put them near the window so I can sit down :erm:
I generally ask people if I can join them, regardless of whether they have anything on the other seat or not.
it happens on the bus as well but I ask them to move it and stare them down when they don't !
If people want a double seat, they should pay for a double seat.
Oh please. Give me a break. You'd just get thrown off the train or bus by the driver/inspector if that ever happened. Go right ahead. I'd find it amusing and I'd just win anyway.

And I said in the first post you quoted that I would ask. Well, tell, in the form of a firm rhetorical question.

They're never on anyway. Particularly not on crowded trains. And if you touched my stuff I would go to the police.

You said you'd be unnecessarily rude.
I don't like sitting next to strangers. I'd rather stand...
If someone has their bag on a window seat and they are sitting on the aisle seat but refuse to give up one seat then there is a simple solution. Turn away from them, move your arse close to their face and and hope that you can brew up the remains of last night's curry.

They will soon move.
I'd rather sit next to my bag than a fat man who talks to himself and smells of spam.
Reply 30
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Your lucky you've never met me, because if you touched my stuff without my permission, I would lose my ****. Yes, yes I can. My first instinct would be to lie across the seat if you did that. If you manhandled my property I would not be cooperative.

Why can you not just ask? You're just being difficult for the sake of it. It doesn't hurt you to say "excuse me, could I please sit there?" I say that if I have to sit next to someone I don't know even if there isn't anything on the seat, because it's polite. Don't be a knobjokey yeah

Why do you want to be the crazy lady on the train?:confused:
Every train I've ever been on has. And you go to the police dear, I'm sure they'd spend every possible resource finding the guy who picked up you bag and placed it in your lap to remove an obstruction in his way.

No, I said I wouldn't be polite.

You must live somewhere that doesn't have ****ty London Midland trains. Our trains are bad.

I'd say it was intimidating and threatening, which I would find it if someone did that

Moving someone's stuff without asking them is rude

Original post by MJ1012
Why do you want to be the crazy lady on the train?:confused:

The principle of the matter you don't do that
Reply 32
You must live somewhere that doesn't have ****ty London Midland trains. Our trains are bad.

I'd say it was intimidating and threatening, which I would find it if someone did that

Moving someone's stuff without asking them is rude

The principle of the matter you don't do that

It's generally polite to move your things before you are asked though. :confused: If you valued politeness that much, that's what you'd do.

You can't really believe someone moving your stuff is intimidating, rude? yes. Intimidating? Not in the slightest
I politely request that they move their bag, especially if there is someone young/old/pregnant standing as well. I had a conductor once that went down and requested tickets for every bag :biggrin:
Reply 34
They're never on anyway. Particularly not on crowded trains. And if you touched my stuff I would go to the police.

You said you'd be unnecessarily rude.

You sound like a bitch. All you have to do is have it on your lap when you notice there are few seats remaining - everyone I know and seen do this. And please tell me what you would say to the police? :biggrin:
Original post by MJ1012
It's generally polite to move your things before you are asked though. :confused: If you valued politeness that much, that's what you'd do.

You can't really believe someone moving your stuff is intimidating, rude? yes. Intimidating? Not in the slightest

Not really. If someone wants to sit by me, they can ask.

Yes, it is. It's rude, intimidating and not fair

Original post by KingKumar
You sound like a bitch. All you have to do is have it on your lap when you notice there are few seats remaining - everyone I know and seen do this. And please tell me what you would say to the police? :biggrin:

I'm not going to look around and count the seats.

I'd complain that I was intimidated, harassed and had my property manhandled by a rude intimidating individual.
In fact I'm sure the police would laugh you out the building. I mean, it was you who refused a paying customer a seat. You're the bad guy in this scenario, not me. They'd probably tell you it could all have been avoided by either:

A. Not having your bag on a seat you have no right to be hogging
B. Simply moved your bag when asked (firmly of course, boohoo, the injustice)

And the fact that you say, yourself, that you would have responded by hurling abuse and making a fool of yourself, I doubt the police would take your claims seriously at all.

If you ask me to move my bags that's fine. Touching them is not. I have not refused you a seat, if you are polite you will get one.

The only person making a fool out of themselves is you, you're the individual who can't be bothered to be a decent human being and is being overly aggressive in the first place.
Reply 37
Definitely get annoyed at people who do this, or sit on the outside seat. I paid the same as you for a ticket, but you get 2 seats and I have to stand? Fair enough, it's not fun sitting next to a weirdo, but tough, really - get up and stand yourself if they're that awful. Sometimes people haven't noticed that it's busy though so I'd always be polite and ask them. I love the people practically saying 'I'd be rude and tell you to shove it!/I'll throw myself on your stuff!/I'll fart on people if necessary!' - aye right, you'd be as awkward as everyone else and immediately move too :tongue:
Reply 38
Not really. If someone wants to sit by me, they can ask.

Yes, it is. It's rude, intimidating and not fair

I'm not going to look around and count the seats.

I'd complain that I was intimidated, harassed and had my property manhandled by a rude intimidating individual.

How is it intimidating? if that makes you scared you should never be allowed on a train by yourself.
It's not hard to have some awareness of whats going on around you, and if you haven't noticed you are taking up a needed seat, when someone asks it's polite to apologise and put your bag down.
I do think it is rude if someone touches your stuff but it is no reason to lose your ****.
Original post by MJ1012
How is it intimidating? if that makes you scared you should never be allowed on a train by yourself.
It's not hard to have some awareness of whats going on around you, and if you haven't noticed you are taking up a needed seat, when someone asks it's polite to apologise and put your bag down.
I do think it is rude if someone touches your stuff but it is no reason to lose your ****.

It's intimidating because the person is touching your stuff and putting it onto you, they're encroaching on your space.

Yes it is. It's MY stuff and I don't want someone touching it. Ask me to move it nicely and it's fine, but don't touch it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending