The Student Room Group

Bags taking up seats on trains

Scroll to see replies

I laugh at all the socially awkward commuters who would rather stand than sit next to a stranger.

I agree with you OP. If it's not busy I'll put my stuff on the seat near me but at peak hours I'll make the seat available for people.
Reply 41
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
It's intimidating because the person is touching your stuff and putting it onto you, they're encroaching on your space.

Yes it is. It's MY stuff and I don't want someone touching it. Ask me to move it nicely and it's fine, but don't touch it.

That is in no way intimidating...:rolleyes:

Don't put your stuff in an empty seat on a crowded train if you're that worried about your stuff being touched.

If you ask me to move my bags that's fine. Touching them is not. I have not refused you a seat, if you are polite you will get one.

The only person making a fool out of themselves is you, you're the individual who can't be bothered to be a decent human being and is being overly aggressive in the first place.

It is not your seat to decide who should get it or not.
Original post by Algorithm69
Not being polite =/= "aggressive". You seem to have plucked that word out of thin air. Telling you to move your bags is not "aggressive" and it isn't "intimidating". You're the one who has admitted you'd be aggressive and intimidating.

I love this:

"I have not refused you a seat, if you are polite you will get one"

As if you have any authority to demand how I acquire a seat I paid for? As if you have started this scenario thinking you own that seat until you feel otherwise? How self-entitled are you exactly? And when your demands aren't met, what do you do? Throw a temper tantrum, hurl abuse, and then run to the police claiming victim-hood.

Oh, that's right, you're a feminist. Mystery solved.

This is hilarious. I'm loving this. Please continue.

It sounds aggressive from what you've said, but I could be wrong. Tell me what you would do if someone's bags were on the seat.

You pay for the trainride, not the seat. I'm not saying I own the seat, just that by being polite, you'll get a seat and no one will be annoyed whereas if you're rude, obviously the person will get annoyed, you may not get a seat and an argument will break out.

I'm not throwing a temper tantrum, but if you manhandle my things, expect me to be annoyed.

Also, cheap digs at women don't help your argument. You are one of the vilest posters on here, I've seen some of your posts on unrelated topics and you're just really rude and pathetic
Original post by MJ1012
That is in no way intimidating...:rolleyes:

Don't put your stuff in an empty seat on a crowded train if you're that worried about your stuff being touched.

It is not your seat to decide who should get it or not.

Yes it is. It's invading my space.

So? It's not his
The worst case I've ever seen was some woman coming backfrom her holiday moves to a block of six seats, sits in the windowseat, places her handbag on the seat in front of her and places her suitcaseflat over all remaining four, thereby taking up all six. Needless to sayseveral people got very pissy with her very quickly, and soon enough she wassurrounded by five others :tongue:

They're never on anyway. Particularly not on crowded trains. And if you touched my stuff I would go to the police.

You said you'd be unnecessarily rude.

:curious::erm:

Because I can TOTALLY see the police taking you seriously over something like that...
Reply 46
Not really. If someone wants to sit by me, they can ask.

Yes, it is. It's rude, intimidating and not fair

I'm not going to look around and count the seats.

I'd complain that I was intimidated, harassed and had my property manhandled by a rude intimidating individual.

Are you an idiot, you don't need to county every seat! Surely you can notice the difference between a train which is crowded and one which isn't? Also, you can't claim you were intimidated by the way you (just previously) explained how you would respond to the situation - with aggression. Intimidation is also a form of harassment so that complaint is void and your property was manhandled because you (who by the way sound like a rude intimidating individual yourself) put it in a place where priority of occupancy is reserved for PEOPLE. Even if your complaints were valid, they're not against the law unless any damage was caused.
Reply 47
Yes it is. It's invading my space.

So? It's not his

It's his more than it is yours seeing as you're already seated.
How do you survive in public if you are intimidated by that? And if you're so intimidated by the behaviour, why would you lose your ****?
Original post by KingKumar
Are you an idiot, you don't need to county every seat! Surely you can notice the difference between a train which is crowded and one which isn't? Also, you can't claim you were intimidated by the way you (just previously) explained how you would respond to the situation - with aggression. Intimidation is also a form of harassment so that complaint is void and your property was manhandled because you (who by the way sound like a rude intimidating individual yourself) put it in a place where priority of occupancy is reserved for PEOPLE. Even if your complaints were valid, they're not against the law unless any damage was caused.

I'm most likely on my phone or looking at my purchases and not looking at the train. If you want the seat, ask me. Yes it is intimidating, Responding angrily doesn't take that away. Pretty sure you can't just start touching random people's belongings
Reply 49

Oh, that's right, you're a feminist. Mystery solved.

She's not a feminist, she's just impolite and ignorant. She also seems to be verging on idiocy.
Original post by MJ1012
It's his more than it is yours seeing as you're already seated.
How do you survive in public if you are intimidated by that? And if you're so intimidated by the behaviour, why would you lose your ****?

No it isn't.

Generally in public people don't touch my stuff. Because I'd be annoyed by it
Reply 51
I'm most likely on my phone or looking at my purchases and not looking at the train. If you want the seat, ask me. Yes it is intimidating, Responding angrily doesn't take that away. Pretty sure you can't just start touching random people's belongings

Responding angrily does take that away. More fire doesn't quench fire. And I'm pretty sure you can as long as you don't damage it or steal it. If someone's suitcase is blocking your path, its not illegal to move it to allow you to get past is it?
Reply 52
If I ever go on a train or bus, I put my stuff next to me, is it a major problem? No
if someone wants to sit down all they have to do is grab my attention and I will move it for them. I wouldn't want some tosser moving my handbag away from me and giving it to me. Op is just being rude, just ask and problem is solved.
Unless you are a smelly drunk then I will ignore your request for me to move my bag
Reply 53
No it isn't.

Generally in public people don't touch my stuff. Because I'd be annoyed by it

Annoyed but not intimidated. You think you have control of the seat as you are next to it, others disagree however you can't expect everyone to have the same opinion as you. Many people think they are perfectly in their right to touch your stuff so how about you just don't leave it there if it bothers you so much?

If anything, you are the rude one, reluctant to move your bag and the lose your **** when someone moves your things out of their way
Original post by KingKumar
Responding angrily does take that away. More fire doesn't quench fire. And I'm pretty sure you can as long as you don't damage it or steal it. If someone's suitcase is blocking your path, its not illegal to move it to allow you to get past is it?

No it doesn't. It's still intimidating. Why not just ask them to move

Original post by BatmanAL
If I ever go on a train or bus, I put my stuff next to me, is it a major problem? No
if someone wants to sit down all they have to do is grab my attention and I will move it for them. I wouldn't want some tosser moving my handbag away from me and giving it to me. Op is just being rude, just ask and problem is solved.
Unless you are a smelly drunk then I will ignore your request for me to move my bag

Agree
Reply 55

Agree

Rep? :wink: :tongue:
No I won't.

Okay?

Well actually you can pay extra and reserve seats but regardless, standard tickets include seats on a first-come-first-served basis. I find your argument pretty weak. And again, a concept you cannot seem to grasp, is you have no right to refuse that seat to someone. It doesn't matter if they are rude, it doesn't matter if they smell, it doesn't matter if they're a man, or black, or find their clothing disagreeable. It is not your choice to make under any circumstance.

As far as I'm aware, they don't include seats. It's not your entitlement

Actually you said you'd hurl abuse at me for simply telling you to move your bag. It's a temper tantrum.

No it isn't. I said I'd hurl abuse if you were rude or touched my stuff.

Actually it was a cheap dig at feminists. you really should learn not to confuse those terms. And thanks! Nice to know I'm memorable.

Any woman who believes in gender equality is a feminist of some sort.
It's not deliberately rude. It's just I don't want my stuff on the floor or crowding me and sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not looking at you or how many people are on the train I'm looking to sit down. Sorry to break it to you, but I have more pressing concerns than whether you want to sit by me. By all means, ask politely, and I will move my stuff, but if you're rude about it, expect a mouthful of abuse and me to not mov

You have a really terrible attitude.
Original post by TheNorthStar
You have a really terrible attitude.

Because I don't expect someone to be rude?
Reply 59
Okay?

As far as I'm aware, they don't include seats. It's not your entitlement

No it isn't. I said I'd hurl abuse if you were rude or touched my stuff.

Any woman who believes in gender equality is a feminist of some sort.

Completely irrational.

Even if someone is rude, you have not right to refuse a seat to anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest