The Student Room Group

Factorise this Polynomial.

Please help me factorise this polynomial. It is x3-10x2-x-30. I cannot figure out what x value will make this equal 0.
Original post by VictoriaCoolio
Please help me factorise this polynomial. It is x3-10x2-x-30. I cannot figure out what x value will make this equal 0.

Is there more to this question? It doesn't factorise very nicely.
Original post by Serpentine111
Is there more to this question? It doesn't factorise very nicely.

That's all my teacher gave us. She told us to try x= -2,-1,0,1,2.
Reply 3
It has a real root of 10.375, and a few complex roots as well, according to http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x3-10x2-x-30
Reply 4

What level is this aimed at? (e.g. GCSE, A Level..)

Is this meant to be trial and error?
Original post by KingKumar
What level is this aimed at? (e.g. GCSE, A Level..)

Further Maths, so in between A Level and GCSE.
Reply 7

You know in further maths, at a-level you can use the calculator........the silver casio has a function where it'll tell you how to factorise up to X^3..........or you can use matlab :colone:
That's all my teacher gave us. She told us to try x= -2,-1,0,1,2.

Are you sure you've typed out the question correctly then?
Reply 9
The roots aren't even integers. Either the question is typed out wrong, or your teacher is giving you dodgy questions.
Are you sure you've typed out the question correctly then?

Definately, she might have made an error, she usually does. I just typed it in on a polynomial factoring calculator and it says this:
Result
x310x2x30=x310x2x30

Explanation
x310x2x30
cannot be factored because it has no rational zeroes.
Definately, she might have made an error, she usually does. I just typed it in on a polynomial factoring calculator and it says this:
Result
x310x2x30=x310x2x30

Explanation
x310x2x30
cannot be factored because it has no rational zeroes.

She must've made a mistake then. There is 1 real root and 2 complex ones, but the answers aren't even integers.

In case you were interested: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^3-10x^2-x-30

No way is this A-level maths. I'm studying Physics at uni and I probably wouldn't be able to solve this.
She must've made a mistake then. There is 1 real root and 2 complex ones, but the answers aren't even integers.

In case you were interested: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^3-10x^2-x-30

No way is this A-level maths. I'm studying Physics at uni and I probably wouldn't be able to solve this.

This is GCSE Further Maths LOL. Our teacher hates us.
This is GCSE Further Maths LOL. Our teacher hates us.

:eek: Hahaha, well it's definitely a mistake then.
:eek: Hahaha, well it's definitely a mistake then.

Thanks, I will ask her tomorrow.
Reply 15
As people on this post have pointed out, there is probably an error here.

Note however, that, x310x2+x+30x^{3}-10x^{2}+x+30 DOES factorise. Try the lowest 2 factors of 30 (+/-1, +/-2)- the remaining quadratic (after division/synthetic division) can be factorised by the quadratic formula. (they are conjugates that involve a surd)
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest