The Student Room Group

The degrees most likely to land you In McDonalds...

https://wallpark.com/articles/archives/282
Have you seen this?
What do you think?
I definitely don't agree with psychology, since I've been told that right now the numbers of (specifically educational) psychs is dropping.

Is your degree/hopeful degree up there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

That's the most ridiculous list, ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Can't believe Nursing is there. I would have thought the employment prospects were pretty good. We'll always need nurses.
Physics or engineering.
Probably a music degree
Reply 5
Medicine, with the quality of their food people will need an on-queue Doctor there lol.
Original post by lilyobz
Medicine, with the quality of their food people will need an on-queue Doctor there lol.

Oh snap! :ahee:
Original post by DK_Tipp
Can't believe Nursing is there. I would have thought the employment prospects were pretty good. We'll always need nurses.

Agreed. Nursing is vocational - it's one of the most employable degrees there is.

Which leads me to believe the author is simply venting his dislike of 'less rigorous' / 'less academic' / 'less scientific' degrees by disguising his motivation as altruistic.

Edit: I have been told there is a case for saying that Nursing is oversubscribed and there are too many students for the amount of jobs. I don't know enough about the nursing job market, so I'll let you judge.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Nursing should not be there at all.
It's got "child studies" on there as well. I think they mean childhood studies, (there's often other components, such as youth, or learning) and that is a vocational/academic degree. The writer can snort as much as s/he likes, but out here, in the real world, the standards of education required to work in childcare are rising. Parents want qualified people, who know what they're doing, to care for their children.

We write theatre in the UK, too...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Octohedral
Agreed. Nursing is vocational - it's one of the most employable degrees there is.

Which leads me to believe the author is simply venting his dislike of 'less rigorous' / 'less academic' / 'less scientific' degrees by disguising his motivation as altruistic.
I would say so.

Especially with that preface about fees rising! Student nurses get their tuition fees paid, because we need them so much.
I was talking to someone today about this and she mentioned how easy it can be to self-employ with an arts degree whereas with science you need proper facilities. Not sure I agree that it's easier but I definitely think it's a prospect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by kerrydouglas
[
I definitely don't agree with psychology, since I've been told that right now the numbers of (specifically educational) psychs is dropping.

Is your degree/hopeful degree up there?

From an astronomically high number to a merely jaw dropping number?

Glad to see Criminology up there.

No, hence I didn't end up working for Maccy D's...
How is nursing on there?? There's a 30,000 shortage of nurses apparently :lol:

Anyways that list is stupid. I've just seen a thread where an Oxford graduate in music can't find a job for over an year...
Reply 14
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Anyways that list is stupid. I've just seen a thread where an Oxford graduate in music can't find a job for over an year...

Doesn't that support the list...?
Environmental health should be up there imo.
Criminology.
Original post by Quady
Doesn't that support the list...?

Yeah?? (Cause I'm on my phone I can't quote you both) Duude... The list is saying that these people aren't getting jobs so your music graduate fits right in there...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Octopus_Garden
I would say so.

Especially with that preface about fees rising! Student nurses get their tuition fees paid, because we need them so much.

True but what if you go on placement, hate every second of it and then don't want to be a nurse? Not much other choice surely?
Reply 19
Stupid list. If you want a career in a subject you enjoy, you work hard for it and you will get it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending