The Student Room Group

anyone appeal successfully after being rejected?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brambleclaw
maths challenge is irrelevant unless you do very well in the Olympiad. Also ECs such as sport and music what you call true "ECs" develop your academic ability through refining your mind.

Have you never heard of the saying "A healthy body, a healthy mind"?

I agree that in general being well rounded is a good thing but for the specific purposes of getting into Cambridge it does not help.
Original post by Iamet
As i am taking the AS level so the highest grade is only A:redface:

Oooh... Okay! Didn't know that! You did really well! Good luck again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sj27
Like I said, our process is intensive. We certainly spend more than 10 seconds on a CV, and a candidate that's made it past the first round interview - of which there are typically not many - will spend 1-2 days in our offices being interviewed and undergoing psychometric tests (I'm not fond of the latter but some like them). They'll typically have been interviewed by around 15 people during the second round interviews - first round is HR and a couple of relevant team members. As I said, fit is hugely important and it's important to us to get the right people, so we do a lot more than yes/no based on alma mater. Making mistakes in recruitment and having revolving doors as a result, or under performers who don't fit in, is terrible for team morale. We'd rather spend the time upfront than deal with the fallout of a wrong decision later.

Anyway this is all getting off topic, we've already established that ECs don't count for Cambridge and whether or not they count in job interviews is hardly going to help the OP at this stage.

Agree 100% with mistakes - which is why our interview process is so intense aswell. We/I use quality of institution as a filter, infer things from that. I then look at CVs and rule out anyone who doesnt have anything that interests me (inc EC activities). Tests I/we dont value very much, nor do I value HR.

Interesting. Recruitment costs a fortune in time, investment, training etc.
Their loss OP, their loss.
I don't know about this either. i did maths which is similar and my dos freely admits that he doesn't really care whats on the PS as long as it's actually been written.
Reply 85
cambridge is very competitive especially in some subjects. its more on the application that grades, ie personal statement, predictions, reference, gcse's etc.
Reply 86
Original post by Iamet
I was rejected by cambridge yesterday, without any interview. And i wonder whether there are any procedural error because i got 4 As in AS level, with the average ums of 98.7. So is it common for people who have a result like me being rejected without any interview? And what should i do?

From the moment I read your comment, I thought there was a high prob you are Chinese (ie everything is governed by laws, with no exceptions) and how right was I!

Unfortunately the world is not perfect and whilst I agree with you, in that I feel a high mark in an exam should be an indication of your intellect, it doesn't always work like that, for reasons beyond me!

It has often been said to get into a top university, for example COWI for maths, A-Levels alone are not enough to separate the boys from the men, hence STEP, AEA and MAT are required.

I agree A-Levels are insufficient, so why ask candidates (for COWI) to take them at all? Why not just base it on STEP, AEA and MAT?

When you get into the working world, you will see ample examples where the ones at the top are not necessarily there on merit but have attained their position through other means.

I don't agree with some readers who have said they'd prefer someone with a lower mark but with extra curricular activities (eca).

After all, we are talking about intelligence and if 89% + eca is better than 90% without, then surely 87% + lots of eca is better than 88 + eca. Extrapolating would result in concluding eca alone is the main criteria, not exam score.

Re Cambridge, let this be a lesson in life, that 1+1 does not always equal 2!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Colmans
Actually they don't. Cambridge suggest 75%.

But you are right that other universities such as Bristol, Edinburgh & Durham among others do take note of extra-curriculars. Since most applicants don't get in to either Oxford or Cambridge it is a mistake to focus the PS on Oxbridge, especially as they take less note of PS than universities which don't interview.

I'm sorry but you are absolutely wrong. In every Oxbridge meeting I have been to over the last decade, their admissions tutors have said exactly the same thing. That is, the only thing they want to read in a PS is the student's interest in the course, why they wish to study it, further reading etc etc. I work at a high achieving grammar school and we put 50 or so applicants through each year, most of whom will get an interview based on the personal statements that they write.

So you are completely misleading posters by suggesting that they ask for 75%. Sorry but the above is a fact.
Original post by icouldntthinkofone
I also hear things from friends who do study at Cambridge (admittedly at Masters/PhD) level and they have told me that while there is a greater emphasis on pure academia at Cambridge, compared with the other universities they have studied at. Id infer from the quality of candidates however (they all do more than simply study) that there must be other factors when they look at admissions.
I find it somewhat difficult to believe that Cambridge, uniquely among the great universities of the world, doesn't care or look at anything else. It would certainly put me off hiring an Cambs Alumni if that were the case.

Students at oxbridge are probably the most misinformed on the admissions process. If someone is amazing at say mathematics but has no social skills whatsoever, the admissions tutors don't care about whether the student can look you in the eye while they speak to you or whether you are a singer ect. Obviously it's nice to know you are well balanced but it won't put you ahead of other applicants for that reason, they would judge you on the basis of how well you can perform mathematically.
Reply 89
Original post by Arieisit
Business schools? What a joke. Everyone knows that business degrees are mickey mouse degrees. Most of it is common sense really and you can bull**** your way through the entire degree and still get top grades (I know several people who have done this)

On the other hand, Cambridge has so much Nobel prise winners in Science that most others when compared is a joke.

I'm not disputing that Harvard and Stanford are good unis but just that Cambridge is better in terms of merits in the important fields.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Re Nobel prize winners, are you aware Heidelburg has more than Oxford? How high a profile is Heidelburg?

"Best" is subjective at best. You could argue the students graduating from Cambridge are the best (assuming the majority of its students are from the UK), you certainly can't say that for those going in, judging by results in Olympiads for example, where the UK have never got close to winning any ever!
Reply 90
Original post by ChildishHambino
Students at oxbridge are probably the most misinformed on the admissions process. If someone is amazing at say mathematics but has no social skills whatsoever, the admissions tutors don't care about whether the student can look you in the eye while they speak to you or whether you are a singer ect. Obviously it's nice to know you are well balanced but it won't put you ahead of other applicants for that reason, they would judge you on the basis of how well you can perform mathematically.

Agree but that's probably because you don't need social skills for a subject like maths, whereas if it was medicine, that'll be very different.
Reply 91
Original post by dbkey
Re Nobel prize winners, are you aware Heidelburg has more than Oxford? How high a profile is Heidelburg?

"Best" is subjective at best. You could argue the students graduating from Cambridge are the best (assuming the majority of its students are from the UK), you certainly can't say that for those going in, judging by results in Olympiads for example, where the UK have never got close to winning any ever!

I'll have you know that Cambridge has the most official affiliations with Nobel prize winners (90) followed by Columbia University (82).

It's clear to me which is better Cambridge and not Oxford so this means Heidelberg is not in the picture as well since they don't have more than Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
I'll have you know that Cambridge has the most official affiliations with Nobel prize winners (90) followed by Columbia University (82).

It's clear to me which is better Cambridge and not Oxford so this means Heidelberg is not in the picture as well since they don't have more than Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes Cambridge does have more Nobel prizewinners than Heidelburg, who in turn has more than Oxford.

So Cambridge is better than Heidelburg and Heidelburg is better than Oxford.

How many would agree with that?
Reply 93
Original post by lotsofq
Yes Cambridge does have more Nobel prizewinners than Heidelburg, who in turn has more than Oxford.

So Cambridge is better than Heidelburg and Heidelburg is better than Oxford.

How many would agree with that?

To be honest I only heard of this Heidelberg university today but I highly doubt its on par with The University of Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Original post by jojo1974
I'm sorry but you are absolutely wrong. In every Oxbridge meeting I have been to over the last decade, their admissions tutors have said exactly the same thing. That is, the only thing they want to read in a PS is the student's interest in the course, why they wish to study it, further reading etc etc. I work at a high achieving grammar school and we put 50 or so applicants through each year, most of whom will get an interview based on the personal statements that they write.

So you are completely misleading posters by suggesting that they ask for 75%. Sorry but the above is a fact.

It is absolutely true that Cambridge are only interested in the academic component except for the marginal element of time management shown by unrelated extra-curriculars. It isn't true that they expect or prefer an 100% academic PS . I didn't say they ask for 75% but that they suggest indeed some colleges say 2/3. This is because they recognise the personal statement as more important as a decision making factor for other universities, few candidates are applying only to Oxbridge and the majority won't get in.

It is ridiculous to suggest that your candidates get interviews because of their PS. Interviews are granted as the result of academic exam record and reference. I don't believe you have feedback saying "we gave this candidate an interview because of PS , instead requests for feedback for non-interview tend to be "wrong subjects" or "low UMS".

A recent response on Cambridge website states:

"the importance of the personal statement is seriously overstated. With the profusion of companies, such as Oxbridge Applications, offering to help draft applicants’ personal statements (for a fee) no admissions tutor believes them to be the sole work of the applicant any more, and they are therefore not given any significant weight in the selection process."

Cambridge college website:" It is agreed amongst tutors at top universities that around two thirds of the space available should be used to convey your interest in the subject you are applying for and how you have pursued this within your school/college studies and beyond, particularly in wider academic reading beyond the school syllabus.

And another:
In general, we find that the majority of personal statements are made up of two-thirds information of a more academic nature, and one-third information about extra-curricular interests.

"We try to interview everyone who has a realistic chance of being offered a place, which is over 80 per cent of applicants each year. If you have a good examination record and a favourable reference, it’s likely you’ll be invited to interview.n general, in the absence of significant extenuating circumstances, competition for places is such that those averaging 85 per cent and below across their three best (for Arts applicants) or three most relevant (for Science applicants) AS subjects are very unlikely to be called for interview. In years where the competition for places is particularly strong, a higher AS average may be necessary in order to secure an interview. An applicant's chance of securing an interview improves with rising UMS."

You can read:
http://www.cherwell.org/news/2009/05/21/oxford-tutors-admit-they-ignore-personal-statements
Personal statements are massively overstated by schools, they were when I was in education and from what I have seen and heard they still are. I understand the reasons for this to some extent and to be honest it is important that students spend time writing one as it is good skill to have, and its definitely important that schools help with this (some still don't :mad: )

The problem is it is very rare to get a personal statement that doesn't read exactly like the last one hundred and in these circumstances grades speak so much more for a candidate then anything else. Though some subjects do use the personal statement in interview and will take elements of it, to see how good they are at intellectual thought/debate.

Think about it this way, when you apply to a job you may write a covering letter. This covering letter will say pretty much the same thing as all other covering letters and only one or two sentences will raise an interest to those reading it, the rest essentially is filler.
What really matters is the CV part, this is where you will get invited to an interview based on your work history and education/training....

This is the same with universities, its just that some universities may read more of the covering letter then others!
To be honest I only heard of this Heidelberg university today but I highly doubt its on par with The University of Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you doubt it's on a par with Oxford, if you believe the numbers of nobel prizewinners is a valid metric?
Reply 97
Thank you for all of your advice. And i have appealed successfully, finally got an interview on 12/12:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Iamet
Thank you for all of your advice. And i have appealed successfully, finally got an interview at 12/12:smile:

Woahh.
Reply 99
Original post by Iamet
Thank you for all of your advice. And i have appealed successfully, finally got an interview at 12/12:smile:

That's awesome! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending