The Student Room Group

Differences between Java and Visual Basic?

I was wondering if someone could highlight the main differences between Visual Basic and Java for me?
I've only just started programming in Java so I'm not a pro but I feel quite confident with Visual Basic.
Reply 1
Well really all programming languages are essentially very similar! You get different levels of programming languages though! Languages like C++ are called low level, because they tend
to mess with things based on bits and memory, whereas a language like C# or Visual basic is more high level, management based. I guess the main difference is that Java tends to be more low level than Visual Basic. Also, Java gives you more opportunity to utilise object oriented programming, if you like abstract code! :smile: There are some really good tutorials on Java out there!
Reply 2
Original post by Crimsonyte
Well really all programming languages are essentially very similar! You get different levels of programming languages though! Languages like C++ are called low level, because they tend
to mess with things based on bits and memory, whereas a language like C# or Visual basic is more high level, management based. I guess the main difference is that Java tends to be more low level than Visual Basic. Also, Java gives you more opportunity to utilise object oriented programming, if you like abstract code! :smile: There are some really good tutorials on Java out there!

Interesting post. I would say
- Programming languages may be similar or incredibly different. The variation is quite incredible. Consider assembly, c, java, lisp, haskell, verilog...all very different.
- Java and Visual Basic (.NET) are very similar indeed. The main difference is in a) syntax and b) libraries. Why do you think Java is lower level? VB is very much an OO language as well.
Original post by Crimsonyte

VB.net is just as OO as Java.

Original post by Chrosson
Interesting post. I would say
- Programming languages may be similar or incredibly different. The variation is quite incredible. Consider assembly, c, java, lisp, haskell, verilog...all very different.
- Java and Visual Basic (.NET) are very similar indeed. The main difference is in a) syntax and b) libraries. Why do you think Java is lower level? VB is very much an OO language as well.

I'd assume he's getting at the fact that Java lets mess with memory directly.
Reply 4
Original post by VisualKiddy
VB.net is just as OO as Java.

I'd assume he's getting at the fact that Java lets mess with memory directly.

This would be a bit odd given Java is garbage collected. Source/example?
Original post by Chrosson
This would be a bit odd given Java is garbage collected. Source/example?

Not enormously familiar with it, but I'm half sure Java has some variety of 'Unsafe' a la C#.
Reply 6
Thanks for all the replies guys :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Are the platforms they run on a main difference as well? I thought I read that somewhere...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by SummerPi
Are the platforms they run on a main difference as well? I thought I read that somewhere...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Java is designed to be 'write once run anywhere' and manages to do this fairly well (old nokia phones could run a(n old) version of java, android apps are Java I believe). OSX, Linux, Windows all work fine (as long as you don't deliberately write something that will only work in one place, e.g. the "C:" drive is only a valid concept in Windows.

VB is only supported by Microsoft on Windows. If you're brave you can try the Mono project for Linux and OSX support, but it's definitely not as easy to move across as with Java.
hitler
Visual Basic came from Microsoft; java came from Sun Microsystems and is now owned by Oracle.
Visual Basic is imperative/procedural with weak support for objects; Java is entirely an object-oriented language.
Visual Basic syntax derives from Algol; Java syntax derives from C.
Thanks for share this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending