The Student Room Group

The degrees most likely to land you In McDonalds...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChemicalBond
Lol okay, it's not exactly its own degree, but it did/does exist.... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2297395/David-Beckham-degree-at-Staffordshire.html I know it's an old article, but there is/was such thing...

It was a module, though.
Definitely agree with geography, and I'm surprised that the Maccies degree isn't on there!

Damn right you can get a degree in McDonalds management: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11810930
Reply 42
Original post by ChemicalBond
Lol okay, it's not exactly its own degree, but it did/does exist.... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2297395/David-Beckham-degree-at-Staffordshire.html I know it's an old article, but there is/was such thing...

I knew what you were referring to, just as you now say, it has never been a degree.
Reply 43
Original post by techno-thriller
Probably a music degree

:lolwut:

I did a music degree and I am now earning £27 an hour. I'm pretty sure McDonald's doesn't pay that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CM19

I did a music degree and I am now earning £27 an hour. I'm pretty sure McDonald's doesn't pay that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you doing something directly related to your degree, like music teaching?

Or do you do something outside it, like James May off Top Gear (who probably earns more than any body here!) who has a- yep you've guessed it- music degree!
Reply 45
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Are you doing something directly related to your degree, like music teaching?

Or do you do something outside it, like James May off Top Gear (who probably earns more than any body here!) who has a- yep you've guessed it- music degree!

I'm a piano/theory tutor at home and various schools and freelance musician so yes it's directly related :tongue:
Reply 46
Original post by CM19

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, over £50k :O you must be good!
Reply 47
Original post by Quady
Wow, over £50k :O you must be good!

Not quite, I am only working 20 hours a week at the moment because I am trying to do private study (I want to go back to uni). But around 2k a month is decent for 20 hours work a week so I'm quite happy.
Reply 48
Economics isnt on the list. My career options just got smaller:getmecoat:
Reply 49
What are thevcareer prospects like from a law degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 06gtaylo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you want to work in the legal profession, or to simply to have a respected degree that will open up graduate job opportunities to you?
For people wondering why nursing is on there..
-My cousin qualified as a nurse a good few years back and nobody would hire her (I have no idea why.. She had top grades and is one of the loveliest people ever.. No jobs for Newly Qualified people I guess?)
4/5 years on or something silly like that and she now teaches English in Thailand :smile:
She highly regrets wasting such a huge amount of time and money on something that she hasn't been able to use

Posted from TSR Mobile
phew! i'm allright. My degree isn't on this list

Spoiler

surprised by nursing and architecture, the others i mostly agree with.
Reply 54
Original post by kerrydouglas
https://wallpark.com/articles/archives/282
Have you seen this?
What do you think?
I definitely don't agree with psychology, since I've been told that right now the numbers of (specifically educational) psychs is dropping.

Is your degree/hopeful degree up there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The part of Psychology is probably because with a degree alone it's unlikely you'll ever find any work in that field as it does require post-graduate study to get on a career in that field, also quite a few British universities have BScs in this field that isn't accredited by the BPA which also renders the degree useless if you're intending to practice.
Reply 55
Original post by Serpentine111
Physics or engineering.

What drug are you on?

There are lack of engineers in this country
Reply 56
Original post by dada55
Stupid list. If you want a career in a subject you enjoy, you work hard for it and you will get it.

Lot of people do journalism but cant find a job because its not what you know but who you know. Not always good to do a degree you really enjoy but has little prospects or chances of getting you in a job.
Original post by Tackla
What drug are you on?

There are lack of engineers in this country

Veritaserum.
Reply 58
Original post by 06gtaylo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends a lot on your final grade and obviously the university you graduate from. A 2:1 from a respectable university generally will bring you one-foot in the door in many career options,

If you are looking for a career in practising law then you'll also need loads of ECs and work experience to get into it.
Reply 59
As much as I'm biased toward psychology (heck I'm even doing it at uni now) I can painfully see why it's on the list. To get a job as any kind of psychologist - whether that be forensic, clinical, neuro or whatever, you need post-grad training, and for clinical and neuro at least, that's another 3 or 4 years. Also, you're bound by the BPS (British Psychological Society) to only work in Britain so you can't exactly go abroad, which sucks ://

On the other hand, a psychology degree quips a student with loads of transferable skills (scientific reports, stats AND essays) - coupled with the competition and length of a post-grad degree, you can see why so little psych graduates actually go into the field afterwards. You'd think that with so many transferable skills that McDonalds would be the last place a psych graduate ends up? Go figure...might need a psychologist to figure it out :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest