The Student Room Group

Anyone done AQA maths, and got into Oxbridge

Has anyone you know, who has done AQA A level maths, got into Oxbridge ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A-Dog

What a peculiar question. Plenty of Oxbridge students took AQA maths.
A friend of mine who's now studying Economics at Cambridge did AQA A Level Maths, as have a few people from my school.
Original post by A-Dog

Nope. Everyone I know who's gotten into Oxbridge from the UK has done Edexcel. Btw that's not statistically relevant.
Reply 4
Original post by A-Dog

Yep my mate is doing maths at cambridge and he did aqa maths...

Im sure many others did too lol
Reply 5
Original post by A-Dog

Why do you ask?
Right...?
Reply 7
Original post by keromedic
Nope. Everyone I know who's gotten into Oxbridge from the UK has done Edexcel. Btw that's not statistically relevant.

Interesting
Original post by A-Dog
Interesting

It's not that interesting that Edexcel has the largest market share. Can I pre-empt the improbable conspiracy theory you are brewing with one of my own? Twenty years ago, Edexcel secretly developed a mind control potion and administered it to all Cambridge and Oxford Mathematics Admission Tutors.
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
It's not that interesting that Edexcel has the largest market share. Can I pre-empt the improbable conspiracy theory you are brewing with one of my own? Twenty years ago, Edexcel secretly developed a mind control potion and administered it to all Cambridge and Oxford Mathematics Admission Tutors.

A-Dog is obsessed by the idea that Edexcel is harder than AQA and students who do Edexcel learn more in depth maths than those who do AQA

Myself and Maths 247 spent last weekend explaining that the differences were negligible and there would be no detriment for a student studying AQA

This is another attempt to ask the same question in the faint hope that someone will say something different
Original post by TenOfThem
A-Dog is obsessed by the idea that Edexcel is harder than AQA and students who do Edexcel learn more in depth maths than those who do AQA

Myself and Maths 247 spent last weekend explaining that the differences were negligible and there would be no detriment for a student studying AQA

This is another attempt to ask the same question in the faint hope that someone will say something different

Clearly he is under the influence of Edexcel's mind control potion too.
Reply 11
Original post by TenOfThem

You didnt answer my question about proofs. Do they cover exactly the same material for proofs?
Original post by A-Dog
You didnt answer my question about proofs. Do they cover exactly the same material for proofs?

The exams can ask questions on the same proofs, yes

Given that I told you the core material is the same (just in different order) why do you think I did not answer this question
Original post by A-Dog

There is a common core so only the applications units differ noticeably in content. Standards are maintained between Awarding Bodies by Ofqual (and by market forces - if one qualification became more accessible than others every school would switch to it - by your reasoning that makes Edexcel the easiest by far).
Original post by A-Dog
Yes. About eight of them in my year when I was at college, where we did AQA for Maths.
Reply 15
Original post by Mr M
There is a common core so only the applications units differ noticeably in content. Standards are maintained between Awarding Bodies by Ofqual (and by market forces - if one qualification became more accessible than others every school would switch to it - by your reasoning that makes Edexcel the easiest by far).

which is best for applied units then?
Original post by A-Dog

There's no difference in terms of difficulty. OCR MEI has the most interesting choice.
Original post by A-Dog

Check the syllabi. That's where the content could differ, I suppose because the topics can be split between the modules differently and unlike core, you get a choice of applied modules..
Original post by A-Dog

It's because AQA do their vectors using square brackets, and oxbridge don't like this which is probably the main reason why very few people doing AQA maths get into oxbridge.

Edit: It's probably worth mentioning that writing your vectors with round brackets isn't enough on it's own to get you into oxbridge. It's a necessary but not sufficient condition.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by A-Dog

Neither

They offer different approaches but the testing is as effective in both

TBH the content is not that different

I prefer the Stats questions in AQA
I prefer the Mechanics questions in Edexcel
I prefer D1 AQA to D1 Edexcel but shift my allegiance at D2

These are personal preferences on the nature of the questions - the content differences are probably greater in M than anything else but M1 and M2 together provide a good basis in both and, if you do all the Ms they are equally challenging

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHICH BOARD YOU PICK

You talk about learning thoroughly - that will be up to you - not how you choose to be tested

Quick Reply

Latest