The Student Room Group

Applying to Cambridge University, post Alevels and Gap years

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD315
Mainly STEP I and II questions really.

Have you seen the (admittedly easy and obviously below standard) sample maths interview?
Reply 121
Original post by keromedic
Have you seen the (admittedly easy and obviously below standard) sample maths interview?

Yes, the one on the Emma website? Admittedly easy is right :tongue:
Original post by CD315
Yes, the one on the Emma website? Admittedly easy is right :tongue:

Yea, that one I think. Even I would have passed that interview :tongue:
Yea, that one I think. Even I would have passed that interview :tongue:

I saw a couple for English and Classics too. I was pretty surprised at how flat and boring they were. I'm sure they do this to give candidates a sense of confidence and ease going in, so they think "oh it's not all that horrific" and they are more relaxed and do their best. Apart, of course, from the people who realise this. Who remain pretty scared. *shivers*

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
Original post by PatrickB
I saw a couple for English and Classics too. I was pretty surprised at how flat and boring they were. I'm sure they do this to give candidates a sense of confidence and ease going in, so they think "oh it's not all that horrific" and they are more relaxed and do their best. Apart, of course, from the people who realise this. Who remain pretty scared. *shivers*

Ah nice. Lol, I didn't really have a look at any of the humanities ones haha. It's a shame it hasn't worked with you :frown:. Do you have an interview?
Ah nice. Lol, I didn't really have a look at any of the humanities ones haha. It's a shame it hasn't worked with you :frown:. Do you have an interview?

I have an English interview at King's. I was looking at my interviewers and one of them is a published expert on a medieval text I talked about pretty boldly in my PS, so I'm frantically trying to gain a body of knowledge to defend myself against a sure attack.

Mind you, they always say it's not about what you know already but how you think, so I'll concentrate on that.

Reply 126
Original post by PatrickB
I have an English interview at King's. I was looking at my interviewers and one of them is a published expert on a medieval text I talked about pretty boldly in my PS, so I'm frantically trying to gain a body of knowledge to defend myself against a sure attack.

Mind you, they always say it's not about what you know already but how you think, so I'll concentrate on that.

It does help knowing a bit about what's being asked, so you have something to work with, but responding well to their help is also an important part as it shows how teachable you'll be and if you do get in it'll make their supervisions more enjoyable!
Any success?
Reply 128
Any success?

I got an offer for maths.
Original post by CD315
I got an offer for maths.

Oh, congrats! S,S?
Reply 130
Oh, congrats! S,S?

Original post by CD315

That's really cool. You must be chuffed :smile:. Again, congratulations :biggrin:.
Any success?

offer for physnatsci :smile:
Original post by PhysicsLeopard
offer for physnatsci :smile:

Ooh congrats. Unconditional?
Ooh congrats. Unconditional?

not sure, haven't received my letter yet - pool offer from Newnham so I got the call yesterday afternoon :smile: I presume unconditional though, since I'm not planning on sitting any exams this year...unless they decide to make me do STEP I :biggrin:
Original post by PhysicsLeopard
not sure, haven't received my letter yet - pool offer from Newnham so I got the call yesterday afternoon :smile: I presume unconditional though, since I'm not planning on sitting any exams this year...unless they decide to make me do STEP I :biggrin:

Oh, I see.
Well in that case. A hearty congrats to you! :biggrin: Let's hope you get an unconditional.
(edited 10 years ago)
Oh, I see.
Well in that case. A hearty congrats to you! :biggrin: Let's hope you get an unconditional.

Thank you!
Any success?

Offer for English :smile: So glad I did it this year tbh with my grades as I think I would've been even more stressed last year in the middle of A2s.
Reply 138
Any economics re-applicant received an offer in their gap year? I'm thinking of reapplying could anyone please give any advice? Many thanks.
Reply 139
Is it worth of reapplying if u achieved 4a*s or higher at ur a2, given that ur first three choices were all failed ( cam, lse, ucl). My main problem was that we don't do any official exams like As in the year before u send in ur application, we just do the normal school summer tests. My result was 7A1s which was equivalently to almost 5a*s at As, but they weren't recognised as it is not a state exam therefore they didn't go in on ucas. So if I get good results this summer, should I reapply to Cambridge? . Dunno what to decide
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest