The Student Room Group

Even more stuck on career choices than Tyrion...

Hey guise, similar to Tyrion's thread I too am having problems working out what to do with myself.

I'm at uni doing studio and live music production and whilst I love music and that I think I'd rather be more of a performer (I'm aware how silly it is to do nothing but play music for money)

I'm really not keen on an office job, I'm really more of a practical person

I like talking to people and the idea of travelling the world meeting new people

I'm really not mathematical so I don't want to do something that is heavily reliant on maths (I'll include science here too)

I'm creative when it comes to music but unlike Tyrion I can't draw for ****.

I like being outdoors, I would have loved to be in one of the forces but I've got like partial hearing in my right ear so not sure I'd pass the check ups they do.

I'm thinking of quitting my uni course as I've had experience at gigs/local festivals and it didn't appeal to me - don't ask why I applied in the first place for it :sigh:

Anyway, if there's any more details I need to give to narrow down stuff I'll happily give them, I just want to have a lovely fulfilling life :h:

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Bumping you up! I'd help but yanno, can't decide what to do with myself let alone you :tongue:
Reply 2
What about becoming a guide dog?
Reply 3
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Bumping you up! I'd help but yanno, can't decide what to do with myself let alone you :tongue:

Taaa, and hehe it's no problem, your thread seems to be doing pretty well...think I might keep lurking there in the meantime :emo:

Original post by Zshoom
What about becoming a guide dog?

What about a guard cat? Would that work?
Reply 4
Househusband :smile:

What are your interests? Maybe being a shop supervisor might be appealing? As its not really office based and more hands on.
People don't call me wolf girl for nothing. Seriously, If I was physically non-human I would like to do a job like being a guide dog/therapy dog...
Reply 6
Apply for Adventure Studies (4 years) at Chichester University.
Reply 7
Original post by Kutta
Househusband :smile:

What are your interests? Maybe being a shop supervisor might be appealing? As its not really office based and more hands on.

I don't really like working in shops, even if it was my own probably, I'd want something that felt different every day and shops generally feel the same every day...

I don't see the appeal of engineering at all. Argh, I'm lost, there's too many job types now.

Original post by vendettax
Tyrion isn't "stuck" on anything but gold digging, it's why she is with an ugly law student and made a thread about stay at home mothers. She's got it all planned.

I can't really get away with that :dry: she reminds me of my first girlfriend for some reason, anyway, my thread and not Tyrion's :ahee:
Original post by Willum Infanta
Hey guise, similar to Tyrion's thread I too am having problems working out what to do with myself.

I'm at uni doing studio and live music production and whilst I love music and that I think I'd rather be more of a performer (I'm aware how silly it is to do nothing but play music for money)

I like talking to people and the idea of travelling the world meeting new people

I'm really not mathematical so I don't want to do something that is heavily reliant on maths (I'll include science here too)

I like being outdoors, I would have loved to be in one of the forces but I've got like partial hearing in my right ear so not sure I'd pass the check ups they do.

I'm thinking of quitting my uni course as I've had experience at gigs/local festivals and it didn't appeal to me - don't ask why I applied in the first place for it :sigh:

Anyway, if there's any more details I need to give to narrow down stuff I'll happily give them, I just want to have a lovely fulfilling life :h:

How about an apprenticeship in Public Relations?

PR work is, of course, heavily valued in the music industry. It'd also give you a chance to meet lots of new people and possibly travel.

It would involve office work though - it's not so bad though.

Are you interested at all in being a rigger/roadie sort of thing, I.E working at a venue maybe and setting up the equipment for bands? I have a mate who does it and he loves it. Obviously the prospect of being a live performer is very exciting (I myself would love to be a famous guitarist) but not very realistic, unless you want to spend a few years playing for free in basement pubs.

What do you mean exactly, you mean more physical stuff/hands on work I'm guessing as opposed to desk work?

If you're not enjoying your course anymore I would say think of something you can seriously see yourself doing, or maybe even try a few jobs to see what you like? Speak to a careers advisor of some kind? Because trust me the longer you drift not knowing, the harder it is to get your arse in gear. And yeah of course we would all love a lovely fulfilling life :tongue:

See above
Original post by Get_Lucky_606
See above

Thanks for replying :smile:

I've done quite a bit of being a roadie because when you're just starting out you have to set up all the equipment and then be the sound engineer too, both parts I've kinda gone off.

Yeah, stuff where I actually get to move about because otherwise I get all fidgety

That's why I made the thread, I don't know what I'd like to do :sigh:

I may need to go to a career adviser but I'm not sure how helpful they're gonna be.
Original post by Kagutsuchi
How about an apprenticeship in Public Relations?

PR work is, of course, heavily valued in the music industry. It'd also give you a chance to meet lots of new people and possibly travel.

It would involve office work though - it's not so bad though.

Hmm, I'll have to look into it because I'm not sure what they exactly do on a day to day basis, thanks for the suggestion though :h:

Forces as in the military?
Original post by Malevolent
Forces as in the military?

Yeah I loved being at the army but I'd be open to RAF or navy too
Yeah I loved being at the army but I'd be open to RAF or navy too

You were in the army? :redface:

Airforce is freaking awesome man go for it.
You were in the army? :redface:

Airforce is freaking awesome man go for it.

No I did some work there though and I was also in Army cadets but that doesn't really compare to the real thing :lol:

Problem is my right ear has been a bit **** since my ear drum burst when I was 9, I can hear fine if you're in front or to the left of me but if you mumble and don't talk clearly I can't hear that great if you're on my right, that'd no doubt be a problem in the airforce right? :cry2:
Reply 15
Look at becoming staff for a cadet force? You get the fun bits of military without the risk or the higher level of health and ability assessment - so your hearing should be OK.
I know that's unlikely to become full-time work, but it would give you a bit of money to support you if you wanted to pursue music as well.
No I did some work there though and I was also in Army cadets but that doesn't really compare to the real thing :lol:

Problem is my right ear has been a bit **** since my ear drum burst when I was 9, I can hear fine if you're in front or to the left of me but if you mumble and don't talk clearly I can't hear that great if you're on my right, that'd no doubt be a problem in the airforce right? :cry2:

Honestly I'm not sure about that kind of stuff, thats up to a Medical officer sorry :sad:
Honestly I'm not sure about that kind of stuff, thats up to a Medical officer sorry :sad:

It'd still be worth a try though, I think first I'd have to be a little less skinny, 6" and 9 stone 5 is pretty laughable to be honest :ashamed2:

I think I'll keep a look out for different jobs still but if I could get into RAF, navy or army I'd be happy
It'd still be worth a try though, I think first I'd have to be a little less skinny, 6" and 9 stone 5 is pretty laughable to be honest :ashamed2:

I think I'll keep a look out for different jobs still but if I could get into RAF, navy or army I'd be happy

Haha just a heads up I'm in the airforce :wink:

You need mental resilience as well. Physical is a part of it.
Haha just a heads up I'm in the airforce :wink:

You need mental resilience as well. Physical is a part of it.

I figured :ahee:

What does the mental resilience consist of? Hope there's not like tons of maths or something...

Quick Reply

Latest