The Student Room Group

Old People Being Racist!

My friend was telling me how his 96 year old grandma was watching Ready Steady Cook, and remarked how 'it is scary that people like that might be touching your food' whilst pointing an accusing finger at Ainsley Harriot, when my friend enquired about what she meant by 'people like that' she said 'you know the blacks.' Needless to say he was disgusted, have any of you got any similar stories?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah it's a shame, yet funnily enough, they're the ones called "the golden generation" and yet we're "the worst of all time".

It's never nice to think about, especially when it's family, but human beings have gotten less discriminatory as the generations have gone by. Racism's biggest enemy is time. Crazy to still hear that in 2013 though.
Reply 2
I don't know any old people who are racist, but I do know a few people in their forties and fifties who are. Strange thing is that they are selective with it. I mean, they're fine with my sister's boyfriend, and they have Moroccan friends, but then they mutter about "all the immigrants" and the "headscarves", when their friends are immigrants and Muslims, too :s-smilie:. They appear to have a dislike for immigrants regardless of race, though, as they don't like Polish people either and think they should "go back to where they came from", whilst they forget that their own family member - me - is an immigrant...

I've met with that attitude here in Britain, too. An acquaintance of mine, for example, admitted that he voted BNP, but he's fine with me, he says, because I'm the right kind of immigrant (whatever that is).

I don't really get it... :confused:
Reply 3
Original post by Lord Harold
My friend was telling me how his 96 year old grandma was watching Ready Steady Cook, and remarked how 'it is scary that people like that might be touching your food' whilst pointing an accusing finger at Ainsley Harriot, when my friend enquired about what she meant by 'people like that' she said 'you know the blacks.' Needless to say he was disgusted, have any of you got any similar stories?

I just think... if you're disgusted at what a 96 year old woman think about race; somebody that was born during the first world war, somebody that will have been older than many people on this site before Martin Luther King was even born... you need to get a grip.
I find this very disappointing.
Reply 5
Well my grandparents were never as bad as that but they did use terms that probably aren't acceptable in this day & age.
Original post by Michael Moon
I find this very disappointing.

Thanks for your thoughtful input as always.
Reply 7
I was at my Great nanna's a few weeks back and she was watching a TV show and just randomly came out with ''Is this show for the wogs then''.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Kittiara

I've met with that attitude here in Britain, too. An acquaintance of mine, for example, admitted that he voted BNP, but he's fine with me, he says, because I'm the right kind of immigrant (whatever that is).

I don't really get it... :confused:

Yeah, I have friends like that who are quite racist generally but are surprised when I'm offended and bring it up because apparently "I don't really count as such and such ethnicity". :confused:
Reply 9
Original post by xxKiaraxx
Yeah, I have friends like that who are quite racist generally but are surprised when I'm offended and bring it up because apparently "I don't really count as such and such ethnicity". :confused:

It's almost like they think we should feel grateful that we are part of the in-crowd or something. That guy I know would be happy if every single person who wasn't born here, or who was born here but isn't white, were to be deported. But hey, I can stay! And it sounds like you can, too! Aren't we lucky? :rolleyes:
I think age is no excuse for ignorance and nastiness.

She may have been born during the First World War but she's lived through most of the 20th century and the millennium. She was alive at the peak of the Civil Rights movement in the USA and when they established the Declaration of Human Rights. If anything she should be a part of the enlightened generation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
LOL

grandmaLAD

My grand parents, especially from my mums side are extremely racist but it's the norm for them and many their age.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Welcome to England....
Reply 13
I've seen more racism from middle aged women tbh.
Reply 14
Those comments will affect no one. You could've not brought it up, but you did, now you've made black people insecure.
Reply 15
My great granny taught my wee sister a version of 'Eenie meenie minie mo' but with the n-word instead of 'tigger'. Apparently that's how they sang it in her day :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vendettax
Those comments will affect no one. You could've not brought it up, but you did, now you've made black people insecure.

Lol.

There's racist pricks everywhere in every age...they are narrow minded.
Reply 17
Maybe she just meant that he was a bit creepy.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
yep older people are often racist.

My mother (she's 64, so not THAT old really) used to be pretty racist when I was little, but now her best friend is Mauritian muslim, her other best friend is...erm...actually I'm not sure where she's from but she's asian and muslim anyway, and her boyfriend is Turkish muslim. And her last boyfriend was a black guy from Dominica. She seemed to stop being racist when I was in my late teens.
Original post by Harley
My great granny taught my wee sister a version of 'Eenie meenie minie mo' but with the n-word instead of 'tigger'. Apparently that's how they sang it in her day :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

tigger? :s-smilie:

I'd say

eenie meenie minie mo, catch a goblin by his toe, if he squeals let him go, ernie meenie minie mo!

Quick Reply

Latest