The Student Room Group

The Woodhouse College Thread!!!

Hello fellow Woodhouse people's! Just thought I would start a thread for all people who go/went/applying to WH as I've seen other colleges with threads and thought we should have one too! :smile:

So feel free to post subjects, grades, schools you went to, uni's you are applying to, etc. My name is Reiss and am in the 2012-14 year (just started A2). I take Psychology, English Lit, Economics, and I took Music AS; I'm planning to study psych at uni :biggrin:

Feel free to post anything you want, and feel free to ask any questions you may have (especially for prospective students!) :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi I'm thinking of applying to WH my predicted grades are all Bs and 1 A, do you think I could get in?? Im thinking of taking chem, bio, maths and not sure on the 4th :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Sakinahh
Hi I'm thinking of applying to WH my predicted grades are all Bs and 1 A, do you think I could get in?? Im thinking of taking chem, bio, maths and not sure on the 4th :smile:

Yeah, absolutely! I too was predicted mostly B's and A's (with one or two A*s), but it's important to remember that you only need to get an average of B (as worked out by a very simple scoring system) throughout all your GCSE's to get in, so you should be fine! Remember, they're looking for more than just the grades- especially if they offer you an interview. For example, if you make a really good CV and personal statement for the interview than that would look really impressive :smile: Try to read around your subjects too (e.g. read books, magazines, newspapers, etc.) so it seems like you're really up to date with what's going on, and that you have a real passion for your subjects. If you can convince them of this, than it's more than likely you'll get a place. :smile:

If you have any questions about applications, interviews, etc. feel free to ask! Best of luck with your application, I do hope you decide to apply! :h:
Reply 3
If anyone on here has had a Woodhouse interview can you please describe the procedure and what they ask and stuff, anything would be much appreciated, Thanks!:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Abir Miah
If anyone on here has had a Woodhouse interview can you please describe the procedure and what they ask and stuff, anything would be much appreciated, Thanks!:smile:

Yeah sure! I remember the interview was pretty daunting- but it's honestly not as bad as you think. :nah: What will happen is you'll go in to Woodhouse via the student entrance (right side of the main building) and there will be a table with about 3/4 students sitting at laptops straight in front of you. There should be a queue there- that's for people signing in, letting Woodhouse know you have arrived. :smile:

You'll give your name to the students sitting at the desk and they'll type it into the laptop, they will press the button saying you have arrived and write down your interview details on a slip of paper. On that piece of paper will be the time of your interview, you interviewer, the location of your interview, and your designated area (I think it's areas A-E or something). Anyways, you'll then sit down in your designated area (there will be signs in the social area) and there will be a student representative to help you if you're confused or have any questions or concerns- they're really helpful I assure you! When time comes for your interview, the student representative from your designated area will take you all to your interviewers. This is perhaps the worst bit- kind of like queuing for a roller coaster just before you get on- but don't worry! Everyone will be feeling the exact same way you are! :smile:

You'll probably wait outside for a few minutes (they may make you wait on purpose just to be mean!) and then they will eventually call you in. You'll shake their hand, smile, say hello, etc. and sit down opposite them. They may start by asking general questions about you, your school, GCSE's , etc. but then they will start with the proper questions. A lot of them are pretty easy to guess before the interview, e.g. "Why do you want to come to Woodhouse?" / "Why did you pick those particular A Levels?" / "Where do you see yourself 5/10 years from now?" etc.

There are always a few slightly trickier questions as well- for example, I applied for economics and she asked me "So what started your interest in economics and what financial newspapers do you read?" to which I had no answer considering I had never studied it before, but thought it would be interesting. The best thing to do in that scenario is be perfectly cool, and be honest. I answered- "Economics is a fairly new subject to me, and something I have only really began to take an interest in. To be honest, it's not something I have studied before, but I feel my time over the course will really help my interest develop." which seemed to be a good enough answer for her.

Honestly, it's not that bad, most of the questions are pretty easy to guess (e.g. if you're applying for english, expect to be asked which books, poets, authors, etc. you enjoy and why). Try to appear confident and that you have a real passion for your subjects- that's what they want to see. Dress smart, but don't overdo it (wear a nice shirt- maybe a tie, don't wear a full suit). Also, try to stand out, present a CV and a personal statement or something like that- I'm certain that will impress them. At the end of the interview, they will ask if you have any questions for them- and this is a good opportunity to ask about any details of the course or whatever you may have queries about. But don't ask silly questions like ones that could be answered by simply looking at the website- in that case, you'd be better off not asking anything at all :rolleyes:

Anyways, best of luck with the interview! I'm sure you'll do great! :biggrin: If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll try to answer them as best I can :smile:

Good luck! :top:
Reply 5
Wow! Didn't expect that much info, thanks a lot, yeah i want to take economics too, how is it as a subject? seemed quite interesting on the open day!
Reply 6
Original post by Abir Miah
Wow! Didn't expect that much info, thanks a lot, yeah i want to take economics too, how is it as a subject? seemed quite interesting on the open day!

Yeah it's pretty good, you cover a lot of interesting stuff :smile: It's an absolutely huge syllabus at AS though (although that could be said of a lot of subjects), but if you get a good teacher it makes a huge difference :wink: What other subjects are you thinking of taking?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1650129&page=78&p=45182011&highlight=Woodhouse%20college#post45182011 Hey there everyone! Im also in Yr 13, doing Biology Chemistry and Politics, having done History to AS :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Soontobesuper
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1650129&page=78&p=45182011&highlight=Woodhouse%20college#post45182011 Hey there everyone! Im also in Yr 13, doing Biology Chemistry and Politics, having done History to AS :smile:

Hi! :hello: What do you want to study at uni?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Reiss64
Hi! :hello: What do you want to study at uni?
Hey!! Biochemistry Tehe.
Reply 10
Hey!! Biochemistry Tehe.

Cool :smile: Where are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by Reiss64
Cool :smile: Where are you thinking of applying to?
I've applied to KCL, UCL Southampton Surrey and Manchester. You said your applying for Phycsh, so Where are you applying to?
Reply 12
I've applied to KCL, UCL Southampton Surrey and Manchester. You said your applying for Phycsh, so Where are you applying to?

Good choices :smile: I'm applying to Cambridge (Trinity Hall), Bristol, Warwick, Durham (St. Mary's) and Nottingham. Any offers yet?
Hi!!
Can anyone tell me if students at Woodhouse college have to be very independent in their learning or are there normal lessons like in secondary schools where the teachers teach the students everything they need to know? Thanks.
Original post by cherrypiez
Hi!!
Can anyone tell me if students at Woodhouse college have to be very independent in their learning or are there normal lessons like in secondary schools where the teachers teach the students everything they need to know? Thanks.

Teachers will teach you most of the things you need to know however it's always best to go back to the textbook to consolidate.
Original post by Blackshadow
Teachers will teach you most of the things you need to know however it's always best to go back to the textbook to consolidate.

Thanks!! So the college is kind of like a secondary school then?
Reply 16

Not really- it's more independent. For A Levels (especially at 6th forms) you're expected to go away and do a certain amount for private study/revision. People make notes, mindmaps, posters, revision cards, etc. or just go over their stuff from class and look up what they don't fully understand. You're given quite a lot of free periods remember, and that is when you're supposed to be working (although I'm sure no-one would mind if you used a few to hang out with friends and whatnot :smile:)

Pretty much! Well for sciences and maths, atleast. Can't say much about other subjects.
Original post by Reiss64
Not really- it's more independent. For A Levels (especially at 6th forms) you're expected to go away and do a certain amount for private study/revision. People make notes, mindmaps, posters, revision cards, etc. or just go over their stuff from class and look up what they don't fully understand. You're given quite a lot of free periods remember, and that is when you're supposed to be working (although I'm sure no-one would mind if you used a few to hang out with friends and whatnot :smile:)

Thanks!!!! So people who find it quite hard to be independent in their learning won't have that many problems as the free periods are not always for you to learn new things but for revision right?
Original post by Blackshadow
Pretty much! Well for sciences and maths, atleast. Can't say much about other subjects.

Thanks!! Btw, what's maths at A-level like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending