The Student Room Group

When to look for accommodation for next year?

One of my uni friends has already put a deposit down for accommodation next year ! I don't think we would be able to stay where we are next year. But should we start looking ? Plus how do I broach the subject with my housemates ? In general we get along although aren't exactly best friends with each other. Plus ... one of my housemates has their best friend currently living in halls, so should we ask if they want to be living with us next year ? Although it's possible that the friend will want to live with her flatmates and invite my housemate to live with her. Plus ... there's 3 of us females and one older guy. He admitted at the start we weren't his ideal housemates, although we do get along and he's glad that we ended up with us and not the people next door. I wouldn't mind living with him next year, so should I check with the other girls, then ask him ??? Plus ... there's a guy on my course who lives in halls, but because it's catered, each room is completely separate so he doesn't really have any flatmates that he could live with next year and doesn't even know the people in the rooms next to him. And in class, he only really talks to me and one guy (who commutes) and I don't think he's apart of any societies. So he's thinking of going back home and commuting, but if we had a spare room going, I wouldn't mind him living with us ... so if we do find a place to live, that has one extra room than we need, should I ask him ? (but obviously check with my housemates first) ???
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
It depends completely on the university. For places like Warwick, most good properties are gone by January whereas in London accommodation can often be left as late as the summer holidays and still be fine.

As for who to ask, decide on who you really want to live with and discuss it with them, then decide a a group/pair if you want anyone else.
Reply 2
Original post by tory88
It depends completely on the university. For places like Warwick, most good properties are gone by January whereas in London accommodation can often be left as late as the summer holidays and still be fine.

As for who to ask, decide on who you really want to live with and discuss it with them, then decide a a group/pair if you want anyone else.

I think we need to have found somewhere before about February time to, if we want a decent choice. We've only been living together for 2 months and the guy has only been here a month. So a lot can happen in the next 8 months, although we are all generally chilled out people, so I can't imagine we would majorly fall out. But what I explained in my opening post could mean that there's anything between 3 and 6 of us living together next year. If I start looking then find a nice 5/6 room place should I mention it to everyone ? Like I said, we all get along quite well, but nobodies perfect so we all do little things that annoy each other slightly. Although it wouldn't bother me at all if one housemate in particular did want to live with her friend next year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by nic-nac
I think we need to have found somewhere before about February time to, if we want a decent choice. We've only been living together for 2 months and the guy has only been here a month. So a lot can happen in the next 8 months, although we are all generally chilled out people, so I can't imagine we would majorly fall out. But what I explained in my opening post could mean that there's anything between 3 and 6 of us living together next year. If I start looking then find a nice 5/6 room place should I mention it to everyone ?

My personal experience is that after living together for 7 weeks a group of us decided to live together the next year, and there were no major problems. In my third year now I'm still living with three of them, and the other three I'm still in contact with. So, whilst that's something to bear in mind, often dynamics won't change all that much from now.

I would recommend, however, that you sort out a group before you start looking for houses. Then you know how many rooms to look for, and everyone can have an input in where they live. Doing it the other way round means a lot of work for you, potentially all for nothing if some people have other arrangements/don't like the house.
Reply 4
Original post by tory88
My personal experience is that after living together for 7 weeks a group of us decided to live together the next year, and there were no major problems. In my third year now I'm still living with three of them, and the other three I'm still in contact with. So, whilst that's something to bear in mind, often dynamics won't change all that much from now.

I would recommend, however, that you sort out a group before you start looking for houses. Then you know how many rooms to look for, and everyone can have an input in where they live. Doing it the other way round means a lot of work for you, potentially all for nothing if some people have other arrangements/don't like the house.

Fair enough. It just might be awkward if it turns out two of them don't want to live with me/us next year, which is a possibility. Which is why I thought it might be a good idea to make a shortlist of houses, which a variety of room numbers, then discuss it with them. We would then go actually look at them together. It just seems a bit pointless if we're all trawling through the same long list of houses when I know the kind of place we're after. Plus I know which area of the city to look in, as me and another of my housemates need to be in walking distance of the uni bus stop.
Reply 5
Original post by nic-nac
Fair enough. It just might be awkward if it turns out two of them don't want to live with me/us next year, which is a possibility. Which is why I thought it might be a good idea to make a shortlist of houses, which a variety of room numbers, then discuss it with them. We would then go actually look at them together. It just seems a bit pointless if we're all trawling through the same long list of houses when I know the kind of place we're after. Plus I know which area of the city to look in, as me and another of my housemates need to be in walking distance of the uni bus stop.

That's all fine. Get a group together, decide on numbers, then you can shortlist some houses and some/all of you can go look around. We had some people very involved in the process, and some who didn't really care - you can just be most involved if you want. It'll be awkward if everyone says no whatever time it happens; but it's better for it to happen earlier and when you've put less work into it.
First year for second year: November - way to keen on that, really regretted it and some friendships between the original 6 of us drifted throughout the year so we had some drop out in place of others.

Second year for third year: May

Third year for fourth year: September... (got an apartment 2 days before my course started!)
Reply 7
Original post by tory88
That's all fine. Get a group together, decide on numbers, then you can shortlist some houses and some/all of you can go look around. We had some people very involved in the process, and some who didn't really care - you can just be most involved if you want. It'll be awkward if everyone says no whatever time it happens; but it's better for it to happen earlier and when you've put less work into it.
I have just looked on the website the uni says to use to find properties (they're private, but kind of to do with the uni, so the uni can help with any issues) and there doesn't seem to be any on there, as if they only start advertising them at a certain time. Like I said, we generally get along, sometimes have disagreements, but we're all glad that we didn't end up with the "stereotypical freshers that go out partying and come back at 3am drunk singing venga boys songs." as my housemate put it. Although I have a feeling that one person doesn't particularly like me that much :erm:

Original post by Dopamine Dreams
First year for second year: November - way to keen on that, really regretted it and some friendships between the original 6 of us drifted throughout the year so we had some drop out in place of others.

Second year for third year: May

Third year for fourth year: September... (got an apartment 2 days before my course started!)

I only thought about it because one of my friends said that they've already sorted accommodation out for next year. But it seems the website affiliated with the uni that advertises houses hasn't started advertising any for next year yet.
Reply 8
As early as they release them, they only released the ones near me this week and I signed a new accommodation contact for next year today. A lot of people say wait however it's no good saying that when all the good houses are gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I'm in the middle of sorting mine for next year. Had a lovely meeting meeting with the landlady who was just fantastic. She has 3 properties right next to the uni and we know a 3rd year living in one of them now, which is why we contacted her directly, rather than waiting for the houses to go online. She said she liked us and promised us a house :smile: just need to get the £500 deposit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending