The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1300
Original post by MelanieKR
I don't think they have a deadline as such, just that the quicker they do it then the higher chance you'll be picked for interview quickly as from what I've heard from my chosen Universities they won't look at your application until it's complete with references.

I have no worries about one of my references being very quick, the other is a bit of a procastinator though so I'll be a monkey on her back til it's sent off.

Oh how annoying! Not much I can do about it now anyway. I think both of mine are rather busy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CM19
Oh how annoying! Not much I can do about it now anyway. I think both of mine are rather busy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They get a reminder sent to them after two weeks, so maybe that will give them a hint!
Reply 1302
Original post by Airfairy
They get a reminder sent to them after two weeks, so maybe that will give them a hint!

Brilliant thanks, just to confirm it is an actual written reference and not a questionnaire type thing isn't it?
Original post by CM19
Brilliant thanks, just to confirm it is an actual written reference and not a questionnaire type thing isn't it?

Yep it's a written reference from both. They have up to 42 lines, which is rather a lot so I don't think they'd need to worry about breaking that limit :tongue:
Reply 1304
My tutor at uni who is writing my reference looked over my personal statement and said it was good but I just need to add in what I can bring to teaching..e.g. Hardworking etc. anyone have any tips on how I can write this within 3-4 lines ? Like I just need a way of starting it off. It will be my last paragraph and so far I've said why I want to teach and talked about my work experience... Any help would be great thanks!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1305
Yep it's a written reference from both. They have up to 42 lines, which is rather a lot so I don't think they'd need to worry about breaking that limit :tongue:

I think they'd rather it be shorter :tongue: oh well I can only try! Still have January admissions anyway!
Original post by Fabay
My tutor at uni who is writing my reference looked over my personal statement and said it was good but I just need to add in what I can bring to teaching..e.g. Hardworking etc. anyone have any tips on how I can write this within 3-4 lines ? Like I just need a way of starting it off. It will be my last paragraph and so far I've said why I want to teach and talked about my work experience... Any help would be great thanks!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hardworking could be shown if you do other things outside of university (plus time management and organisation)

For example in mine, I have said that I complete my degree to a good standard alongside volunteering at school and brownies, being my course representative and holding down a part time job.

I have said this shows I am able to work hard under pressure as well as maintaining good time management and organisation?

Hope that helps.
Reply 1307
Original post by CM19
I think they'd rather it be shorter :tongue: oh well I can only try! Still have January admissions anyway!

As above. Anything outside of school/uni/work. Did you work whilst at uni? Whilst working did you do any studying? Did/have you volunteered, completed in sports etc whilst at work/uni. Do you have a family? I did a postgrad course whilst working and completed in a sport internationally. Basically you want to say, 'hey look at me, I'm a not an one trick pony who can 'only' work/study'. I say 'only' as some jobs are full on and you're working 60 odd hour weeks.
Reply 1308
Original post by xxstace123xx
Hardworking could be shown if you do other things outside of university (plus time management and organisation)

For example in mine, I have said that I complete my degree to a good standard alongside volunteering at school and brownies, being my course representative and holding down a part time job.

I have said this shows I am able to work hard under pressure as well as maintaining good time management and organisation?

Hope that helps.

I have said that but I haven't said specifically that I volunteer and have a part-time job cos I don't have the lines too. I've wrote my experience inside and outside the classroom..hoping that they look at my work experience section. And then said what skills I've gained and related it to teaching.

Thanks for the help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Need some advice. My careers service said I could do with adding this in:

- and if there are any additional things you could potentially contribute to school life beyond your subject area. Possible things to consider might be how your politics degree could relate to 'Citizenship' teaching.

I have literally no more room for this. Would you say this is 100% necessary?
My statement is finished but neither of my statements are yet written and one of them as yet to get back to me.Getting nervous because if I don't get a reference from the one who hasn't replied I have nobody else to ask,
Reply 1311
Hi everyone, been following this thread for ages but only just made an account...

I've FINALLY got a work placement sorted (been trying for months) but they can only accommodate me at the start of January...have I completely screwed my chances of getting a PGCE place next September? Or only partially screwed my chances :-S x
Reply 1312
Need some advice. My careers service said I could do with adding this in:

- and if there are any additional things you could potentially contribute to school life beyond your subject area. Possible things to consider might be how your politics degree could relate to 'Citizenship' teaching.

I have literally no more room for this. Would you say this is 100% necessary?

I don't know. I'm the same, I have no room for it! I think I'd put it in if it was relevant but tbh I don't have any special additional hobbies/skills relevant to add. But I guess it would make you stand out a bit more if you add it in. Maybe they'd ask you at interview what you can bring to teaching and say it there?
It may be more important for you to add how your politics degree is relevant to citizenship teaching though. However, I study childhood studies and I'm applying for an early years PGCE and all I've said is how it's given me knowledge about children etc that may benefit me as a teacher. Literally one sentence.. My careers advisor said, if they want to know about the course they can look it up lol and plus the unis I'm applying to have said they accept applicants who have studies childhood studies etc. so maybe just mention briefly how it relates to citizenship teaching.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HelenG
Hi everyone, been following this thread for ages but only just made an account...

I've FINALLY got a work placement sorted (been trying for months) but they can only accommodate me at the start of January...have I completely screwed my chances of getting a PGCE place next September? Or only partially screwed my chances :-S x

Hi there,

I think as long as you have had experience before you start you won't necessarily be rejected for that reason.

You will however have to prove that you are 100% sure on teaching.
Original post by HelenG

What subject is this in? That can change a lot!
Original post by Fabay
I don't know. I'm the same, I have no room for it! I think I'd put it in if it was relevant but tbh I don't have any special additional hobbies/skills relevant to add. But I guess it would make you stand out a bit more if you add it in. Maybe they'd ask you at interview what you can bring to teaching and say it there?
It may be more important for you to add how your politics degree is relevant to citizenship teaching though. However, I study childhood studies and I'm applying for an early years PGCE and all I've said is how it's given me knowledge about children etc that may benefit me as a teacher. Literally one sentence.. My careers advisor said, if they want to know about the course they can look it up lol and plus the unis I'm applying to have said they accept applicants who have studies childhood studies etc. so maybe just mention briefly how it relates to citizenship teaching.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thanks, it does help. I know I could do with mentioning the citizenship bit. I'm sure I can fit that into a sentence, surely!
Reply 1315
It's in Primary. So yeah...not an ideal situation.
Original post by HelenG
It's in Primary. So yeah...not an ideal situation.

Ah, yeah, not the best...but apply anyway! You never know. There is no harm in applying.
Reply 1317
Quick question - does anyone know the exact time UCAS opens at? I'm away for a few days from 9 tomorrow so was just wondering if it would be open at midnight tonight, or before 9 tomorrow, so I can get it all done.

Original post by Mark27
Quick question - does anyone know the exact time UCAS opens at? I'm away for a few days from 9 tomorrow so was just wondering if it would be open at midnight tonight, or before 9 tomorrow, so I can get it all done.

People have asked this before and apparently it varies every year, but it won't be midnight. Even when it opens it has been known to crash and so it can be delayed even then. I don't think you'll be able to do it before you go away, but a few days difference is nothing.
It says this on the UCAS website, so i'm not sure if we have to use a specific font?!

3. Format

You can use up to 4,000 characters or 47 lines of text (including spaces and blank lines).
We recommend you write your statement first and then copy and paste into your online application (but watch out for the character and line count the processor might get different values because it doesn't count tabs or paragraphs).
When you add to your online application click 'save' regularly because it will time out after 35 minutes of inactivity.
If you want to send any more information you can ask unis and colleges if they'll accept further details if they say yes you should send it direct to them (not us) once we've sent you your Welcome letter (so you can include your Personal ID).

Latest

Trending

Trending