The Student Room Group

I'm in love with someone online. Is this wrong? But it feels like love!

Hi Guys,

So here's my predicament. I've been in a relationship for just over 9 months now and I'm deeply in love. We share the same interests, passions and our outlook on life is the same too. Plus she is beautiful too. The thing is we haven't met yet. I think it's because of our university commitments; I study at Brunel and she is at Glasgow. We speak everyday via email and Facebook, she makes my days so much better :smile: But I want to meet her so bad now, but it hasn't happened... Am I being ridiculous? Or have I actually found true love?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, you are being a wee bit ridiculous. Everyone acts differently online than how they are in real life. You might meet and have the most awkward time ever. Sorry to rain on your parade, but you should be realistic and keep low expectations before you actually meet someone! (speaking as someone who has met a few people off the internet)
Reply 2
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Yes, you are being a wee bit ridiculous. Everyone acts differently online than how they are in real life. You might meet and have the most awkward time ever. Sorry to rain on your parade, but you should be realistic and keep low expectations before you actually meet someone! (speaking as someone who has met a few people off the internet)

Thanks for your advice. Yeah if I'm honest it's more of a hale storm, rather than just raining on my parade, but I guess you have a good point.
It'd be too hard to just log off and walk away, I really want to meet her to see if things can work in reality. Have you done something like this before? If so do you have any further advice and what to expect? Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by John0020
Hi Guys,

So here's my predicament. I've been in a relationship for just over 9 months now and I'm deeply in love. We share the same interests, passions and our outlook on life is the same too. Plus she is beautiful too. The thing is we haven't met yet. I think it's because of our university commitments; I study at Brunel and she is at Glasgow. We speak everyday via email and Facebook, she makes my days so much better :smile: But I want to meet her so bad now, but it hasn't happened... Am I being ridiculous? Or have I actually found true love?

Have you seen her on webcam? Be careful you aren't being catfished!
Reply 4
No, her web cam doesn't work on her laptop. Ha yeah I know about Catfish, but she isn't one of them! Weird as catfish is coming to the Uk too.I just want to meet up and be a proper couple
Reply 5
Hi Guys,

No, you're not being ridiculous. And from your little description looks like you have found true love. :wink:
Reply 6
Webcam isn't working thats the biggest lie ever!
Reply 7
Original post by SoftPunch
No, you're not being ridiculous.

Thanks. So has this worked out for you then? To be honest a little bit of me is now thinking about contact catfish? At least that way I'll know that we'll meet up.
Reply 8
No, her web cam doesn't work on her laptop. Ha yeah I know about Catfish

Can't tell if srs..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thanks. So has this worked out for you then? To be honest a little bit of me is now thinking about contact catfish? At least that way I'll know that we'll meet up.

What do you mean? :s-smilie: I am not in relationship right now. :tongue: Wait, but you have been in relationship for 9 months and never saw each other on webcam??!:eek:
Reply 10
Ask her to take a picture of herself holding a piece of paper with your name and the date on it, that's always a good tester for a catfish.
Reply 11
In b4 this "girl" is actually a guy :tongue:

If her webcam doesn't work/she's uncomfortable with talking on it fair enough, but I would at least meet up ASAP. If she turns out not to exist you'll at least get a day trip to Glasgow :borat:
Reply 12
Original post by Simonion
Can't tell if srs..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm serious about the relationship. Not so serious about catfish if that's what you meant? Just humoring the situation i guess...
Reply 13
Original post by SoftPunch
What do you mean? :s-smilie: I am not in relationship right now. :tongue: Wait, but you have been in relationship for 9 months and never saw each other on webcam??!:eek:

There seemed to be an air of familiarity in your first comment, so that made me think you may have experienced something similar? And because you were also optimistic, I guess I just thought maybe you have something positive to say on online relationships transitioning into 'actually meeting'.
Reply 14
Original post by beccac94
Ask her to take a picture of herself holding a piece of paper with your name and the date on it, that's always a good tester for a catfish.

Hmm, sounds a little awkward to ask that after 9 months.... In hindsight I should have done this one week in.
Reply 15
Original post by Alpha brah
In b4 this "girl" is actually a guy :tongue:

If her webcam doesn't work/she's uncomfortable with talking on it fair enough, but I would at least meet up ASAP. If she turns out not to exist you'll at least get a day trip to Glasgow :borat:

Yeah I think she is uncomfortable to go on camera? suppose many people are? Yeah I've sent her a message to meet up asap, so fingers crossed :smile:
Hmm, sounds a little awkward to ask that after 9 months.... In hindsight I should have done this one week in.

Don't worry about being awkward, it's pretty fair considering how you've never seen each other. Just say it's been on your mind lately how you haven't really seen her or you want a recent photo but it is the internet afterall so some proof that she is who she says she is would be nice. If she overreacts then either she's a bit weird because what is she overreacting for or they're lying.
Have you spoken on the phone?
Also, be weary about the webcam story. Could be legitimate but they're built into laptops now, it's not like you can sit on and and break it (without breaking the rest of the computer). Maybe it's not working because the drivers aren't up to date, in which case that's easily fixed. If she doesn't know how to check then it's easily found on the internet.
You've invested a lot of time into a potential relationship, I think you should take every precaution without pushing her away in case she is legitimate.

Also I had an 'online thing' before. I was the one without a webcam but I took pictures every now and again so he knew I was real, though eventually I bought a web cam. I don't like taking photos of myself and I feel awkward on web cam but I cared about him and I wanted to reassure him that I most definitely was who I said I was. We met up after some months and all turned out well, no catfish. Not every online relationship is suspicious but you should always be aware of the situation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Yeah I think she is uncomfortable to go on camera? suppose many people are? Yeah I've sent her a message to meet up asap, so fingers crossed :smile:

Fair enough if that's the case; it's ridiculously easy to take a picture of someone who's using a webcam these days, which is why she may be understandably hesitant about using one. You should defo meet her ASAP, though; good luck with doing so. :smile:
Hi Guys,

Umm I think you should tell her to get a new web cam or to fix her broken one so she can prove she is real and not turn out to be a guy. But yeah seems like u found ur true love but i hope for ur sake its not a guy :P
Hi Guys,

Hi, you should definitely meet her I think. It might be awkward, but it might not, you never know until you try. And if you dont meet her and dont find out, you will regret it later. Just dont have too high expectations when you meet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending