The Student Room Group

David Blunkett in riot warning over Roma migrants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InnerTemple
I think there is a difference between a generalisation based upon fact and a generalisation with no factual foundation whatsoever or, indeed, some evidence to the contrary.

That's the angle I am getting at - my answer in the above post is, to be frank, rubbish.

Translation: Generalisations are fine, so long I agree with them. We will determine what counts as fact by whether or not I agree with the point with which they are supporting.
Original post by KimKallstrom
Translation: Generalisations are fine, so long I agree with them. We will determine what counts as fact by whether or not I agree with the point with which they are supporting.

No translation necessary. My point was made very clearly. The generalisation made earlier was one without any factual foundation. Such a generalisation is different to one where there is some evidence to support it.

I don't think that point is particularly controversial.
Original post by deehee
That is irrelevant.

You either want 3 million Romanians/Bulgarians coming here next year or you don't.

:facepalm:

Bulgarians and Romanians are different to Roma of which most are gypsies, Bulgarians and Romanians are just like you or I, Roma are strange people that roam.
Original post by tehFrance

Bulgarians and Romanians are different to Roma of which most are gypsies, Bulgarians and Romanians are just like you or I, Roma are strange people that roam.

Nooo!

First of all, to say that they roam is not accurate. While some are very mobile, the majority live in permanent housing. There is no need to travel around in order to be a Roma Gypsy.

Also, and as an aside really, I think calling them strange is a bit mean. Would you prefix a generalised (and incorrect) remark about other groups (black people, Muslims, Jews, Germans etc) with the word 'strange'?

Maybe you would - maybe that is just your thing.
Reply 44

So you are turning this into a racial/ethnic problem ?

Roma Gypsies come here with Romanian/Bulgarian passports and documents so are technically Romanian/Bulgarian or wherever they come from.

But even if no Roma Gypsies are coming to the UK, the "normal" ( I think you meant white ) Romanians/Bulgarians as you put it, are still very poor and will want to come to the UK.
Original post by InnerTemple
Nooo!

First of all, to say that they roam is not accurate. While some are very mobile, the majority live in permanent housing. There is no need to travel around in order to be a Roma Gypsy.

Also, and as an aside really, I think calling them strange is a bit mean. Would you prefix a generalised (and incorrect) remark about other groups (black people, Muslims, Jews, Germans etc) with the word 'strange'?

Maybe you would - maybe that is just your thing.

Well they do roam around, maybe not all but they do.

Yes I'd call a fair few groups strange as they are.
Original post by deehee
So you are turning this into a racial/ethnic problem ?

Roma Gypsies come here with Romanian/Bulgarian passports and documents so are technically Romanian/Bulgarian or wherever they come from.

But even if no Roma Gypsies are coming to the UK, the "normal" ( I think you meant white ) Romanians/Bulgarians as you put it, are still very poor and will want to come to the UK.

It's a ethnic/racial problem as Roma are within a different ethnicity/race to other Romanians, passports mean nothing in this instance, I've got a Israeli and French passport, am I French, Israeli or other nationality (I'm eligible for a UK passport)?

Romanians aren't really white, they're more olive skinned than white as the rest of Northern, Eastern and Western Europe are. I think you'll find they'd prefer the Latin countries due to language similarities.
Reply 46

So we should have a racial based immigration policy ?
Reply 47

It's a ethnic/racial problem as Roma are within a different ethnicity/race to other Romanians, passports mean nothing in this instance, I've got a Israeli and French passport, am I French, Israeli or other nationality (I'm eligible for a UK passport)?

Romanians aren't really white, they're more olive skinned than white as the rest of Northern, Eastern and Western Europe are. I think you'll find they'd prefer the Latin countries due to language similarities.

You gotta be a jew

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CEKTOP
You gotta be a jew

Yes and?
Reply 49
Yes and?

You're a French Jew
Original post by deehee
So we should have a racial based immigration policy ?

Of course a racial based immigration policy is bad. That would be racist. However let's be honest; Roma are a million miles away culturally from other Bulgarians and Romanians.

I for one think that a cultural based immigration policy would be a tremendous idea. Why do we want to be injecting third world cultures into ours? Like those who believe in witch doctors, curses and killing albinos?

Have you lot encountered groups of Roma? Hanging out in the street with 800 members of their extended family, acting like they're in Ministry of Sound or something.

You lot must be on crack if you don't agree that some cultures are worse than others and that we shouldn't try to pick and choose which cultures we want to import and which we want to keep out.
Original post by CEKTOP
You're a French Jew

Yes Sector, I'm a Jew... problem?
Reply 52
Yes Sector, I'm a Jew... problem?

No, you asked who you are, I told you.

Romanians are similar to the Italians in terms of appearance and skin color, you will find a lot of blonde Romanians though.

To reply to other users too:

Gypsies have a totally different culture compared to other Romanians /Bulgarians...wrong... Gypsies have a totally different culture compared to the Romanians /Bulgarians is the right expression... I'm saying this because while Romanians and Bulgarians are white-caucasian ethnic groups while Gypsies are indo-belngalese ethnic groups and in Romania /Bulgaria /Hungary you can see a clear distinction between Gypsies and other ethnicities. I'm not being racist, i'm just explaining these differences that most western-europeans wouldn't be able to distinguish.

While Gypsies and Romanians /Bulgarians are totally different cultures and ethnic groups... The Gypsies are Romanian/Bulgarian citizens and in the virtue of the law they are Romanian /Bulgarian, but they have minority status in both countries, like Hungarians in Transilvania.
Reply 54
Why would the mere presence of a group of people cause riots ?

As long as they don't break the law it's okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending