The Student Room Group

Liverpool, Leicester or SOAS? (I'll rep)

....and Southampton

I have got offers from all of them but want to know which one is most respected and better regarded overall and specifically for law?

I have visited them all and like them all in that respect. All it comes down to is which is better regarded.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Have you looked at subject specific league tables?

Complete university guide has: Southampton, Leicester, Liverpool, SOAS.

Guardian has: Southampton, Leicester, SOAS, Liverpool.

However, there's not much in it between Southampton and Leicester on either table, and on the Complete university guide, they are all quite close together. Liverpool is quite a bit lower on the Guardian league table, mainly due to student satisfaction scores, especially for feedback being poor. If that's something that you value, then this might bother you a bit.

Southampton and Liverpool are Russell Group (which doesn't actually mean anything to you as an undergrad, but it's something some people care about) but the others are not.

Their law courses may focus on slightly different areas. Have any of them invited you to visit days? If so, maybe you could use these to help you make your decision.

I know reputation is important in law, but I just don't think there's that much of a meaningful difference between these universities.
Southampton I will say :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Have you looked at subject specific league tables?

Complete university guide has: Southampton, Leicester, Liverpool, SOAS.

Guardian has: Southampton, Leicester, SOAS, Liverpool.

However, there's not much in it between Southampton and Leicester on either table, and on the Complete university guide, they are all quite close together. Liverpool is quite a bit lower on the Guardian league table, mainly due to student satisfaction scores, especially for feedback being poor. If that's something that you value, then this might bother you a bit.

Southampton and Liverpool are Russell Group (which doesn't actually mean anything to you as an undergrad, but it's something some people care about) but the others are not.

Their law courses may focus on slightly different areas. Have any of them invited you to visit days? If so, maybe you could use these to help you make your decision.

I know reputation is important in law, but I just don't think there's that much of a meaningful difference between these universities.

for some reason i can't rep u before repping other members.
Original post by ActusReus
for some reason i can't rep u before repping other members.

It's probably because you repped me on another thread, recently. It doesn't matter :smile:
Reply 6
SOAS
Reply 7
Original post by Tolaaa
Southampton I will say :smile:

how does SOAS compare to southampton? I heard it used to be ranked in the top 10. I need to decide which one to firm.
Reply 8
SOAS for law.
how does SOAS compare to southampton? I heard it used to be ranked in the top 10. I need to decide which one to firm.

I've never heard of SOAS being in the top 10 and Southampton have always had a solid reputation, not like Russell group unis are anything to go by but Southampton is and SOAS isn't...
Reply 10
anyone else?

I don't think historical rankings are that important, really, and its current ranking is definitely a lot lower than top 10. I don't think many people consider SOAS a really "top" university.
Original post by Nitrogen
SOAS for law.

I know someone who graduated from SOAS with a 2:1 law degree and 4 years down the line is still looking for a job...
I don't think historical rankings are that important, really, and its current ranking is definitely a lot lower than top 10. I don't think many people consider SOAS a really "top" university.

Which rankings do you think the 10 or 12 year qualified lawyer looking at an application remembers?

OP I'd just choose the one you prefer. Soton and SOAS both have strong niche areas (Shipping and Middle Eastern), Liverpool has suffered a lot for Law recently and Leicester has quite a strong faculty, particularly in areas like EU and Competition.

Ultimately between the 4 it will be other factors about you that determine your chances at law firms.
Reply 14
Original post by Tolaaa
I know someone who graduated from SOAS with a 2:1 law degree and 4 years down the line is still looking for a job...

Liverpool, Leicester and Southampton wouldn't be any different. SOAS has the best Law department out of the unis op listed. You're not going to prove anything with one person out of the hundreds of SOAS Law graduates. Law is competitive field, so I am really not surprised.
Original post by Le Nombre
Which rankings do you think the 10 or 12 year qualified lawyer looking at an application remembers?

OP I'd just choose the one you prefer. Soton and SOAS both have strong niche areas (Shipping and Middle Eastern), Liverpool has suffered a lot for Law recently and Leicester has quite a strong faculty, particularly in areas like EU and Competition.

Ultimately between the 4 it will be other factors about you that determine your chances at law firms.

But how do you know if the person looking at your application will be thinking of the rankings from 10, 20 or even 30 years ago? University rankings can change a lot, and it's not worth going somewhere that had a good reputation, say, 10 years ago if it's recently started slipping down the tables, and didn't have that good a reputation 20 years ago either.
But how do you know if the person looking at your application will be thinking of the rankings from 10, 20 or even 30 years ago? University rankings can change a lot, and it's not worth going somewhere that had a good reputation, say, 10 years ago if it's recently started slipping down the tables, and didn't have that good a reputation 20 years ago either.

You don't, which is a good reason to just disregard the rankings altogether unless they suggest something horrific and just choose the place you actually want to go.
Reply 17
Hey,

I cant speak for Southampton or Liverpool, but I'm from Leicester, and its a wonderful place to live in. Our University is very prestigious, and in terms of ranking I'd say it was the best of the four. But certainly don't go by rankings, that doesn't mean much when you consider student life or even job prospects. I study at SOAS, best uni ever!! But in all seriousness, I don't do Law, (I'm management), but it has a great reputation, especially with law firms. Every day you'll receive an email about career fairs and things you can participate in. In the law fairs, which I have attended, law firms like Clifford Chance, Linklaters, Slaughter & May, that German one I cant pronounce, and loads of finance and international law firms come and offer advice about apprenticeships etc. Also you can study a language or even do floater optional courses in completely different subjects, like my optional course is religion. And SOAS is in central London, you'll get an amazing social life! And being part of university of London allows you to access the ULU, and the other London uni libraries, UCL is very close. SOAS is currently asking for A*AA for Law, I think that says a lot about the quality of their course. Whatever you do make sure you go somewhere you'll love :smile:
Reply 18
bump
Original post by Le Nombre
You don't, which is a good reason to just disregard the rankings altogether unless they suggest something horrific and just choose the place you actually want to go.

Well, yeah, but OP has asked this question already and other factors have been suggested to them, so you can only really answer what they are asking.

Tbh I don't think there is enough difference between the three for it to really matter, but that doesn't help OP make a decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending