The Student Room Group

What career would suit me? Generally struggling with this.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
1) Art as in cartooning/illustration. Not good at realistic stuff.
2) Crafty/making stuff/solving problems in unique ways
3) Good with my hands (:sexface:). No in all seriousness, I'm good at DIY and practical stuff.
4) I'm funny and outgoing, so I'm good at giving presentations and designing the layouts/handouts and stuff like that
5) Good at meeting people/talking to people

Public Relations/Advertising/Branding?
Reply 161
trusss its not most dealers dont make min wage
Reply 162
Original post by KingKumar
What happens when this partner possibly (but likely) decides to leave?

Obviously she'll have to up her hours.

... This isn't exactly uncommon practice you know :s

Being bipolar has nothing to do with whether I'm extroverted or not?

my bad, just that a lot of people who have Bipolar also tend to have violent tendencies so I thought you did aswell for some reason
Original post by Dee Leigh
Businesswoman

She has no business being a woman.
Also, why do you feel that I should work full time? Why? Where is the requirement? I don't understand the jumped up nerds on here who feel life is about getting some amazing job.

Without being offensive , this comment alone shows how out of touch you are with the real world. And stuff about the rat-race etc, it exists for a reason - there are no shortcuts/easy jobs (except maybe for 5% of people who happen to be exceptionally talented/have the right contacts). Admittedly though when I was 19 I didn't really have much idea, personally I think your priorities will change a bit over the next couple of years :smile:
If you only want to work 3 days a week, what exactly would you plan on doing for the rest of the week? 4 days off every week seems a bit much if you're not doing anything very productive during those days.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
If you only want to work 3 days a week, what exactly would you plan on doing for the rest of the week? 4 days off every week seems a bit much if you're not doing anything very productive during those days.

Hobbies, spending time with those around me, housework, cooking, shopping, general chores. I also want kids so there's that..
(edited 10 years ago)
Hobbies, spending time with those around me, housework, cooking, shopping, general chores. I also want kids so there's that..

You can do most of things when you have holidays from work. Oh, and my dad works 5 days a week and manages to do all those things.
Original post by OU Student
You can do most of things when you have holidays from work. Oh, and my dad works 5 days a week and manages to do all those things.

I'd rather not work full time though as those things are more important than a career. I would rather put more of my time into those. A career does not hold anything for me
I'd rather not work full time though as those things are more important than a career. I would rather put more of my time into those. A career does not hold anything for me

Would you work 3 days a week for the rest of your life if you could?

I mean, I don't know many part time jobs which gives 20k+ a year..
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Would you work 3 days a week for the rest of your life if you could?

I mean, I don't know many part time jobs which gives 20k+ a year..

Yeah. I'd much rather spend my time doing things for the home than in a job myself but that's just me
Reply 172
If I can afford to do that, and am not career focused, why does that make me lazy? Also, why do you feel that I should work full time? Why? Where is the requirement? I don't understand the jumped up nerds on here who feel life is about getting some amazing job.

With respect, this is how you have come across in this thread. Yes, you want your life to be about other things than your career, but you are also giving the impression that you think you deserve a job that in your mind is amazing (and to most people incredibly unrealistic).

I'm not going to say you won't make it, because you might, but I think you have come across in this entire thread as being incredibly naiive and unrealistic.
I don't think you're lazy, but I do think you should make sure your partner is OK with your aims and desires, because I couldn't be with someone with your attitude.

As a final point, if beauty is your thing, find some independent beauty places near you and see if the vendor has a few minutes to discuss their "career progression" with you. I knew a girl who runs a brow bar, she had to put in a lot of time and work for a couple of years but now spends little time there and still gets the same sort of income from it, because she's made it enough to employ some underlings.
Original post by Katie_p
With respect, this is how you have come across in this thread. Yes, you want your life to be about other things than your career, but you are also giving the impression that you think you deserve a job that in your mind is amazing (and to most people incredibly unrealistic).

I'm not going to say you won't make it, because you might, but I think you have come across in this entire thread as being incredibly naiive and unrealistic.
I don't think you're lazy, but I do think you should make sure your partner is OK with your aims and desires, because I couldn't be with someone with your attitude.

As a final point, if beauty is your thing, find some independent beauty places near you and see if the vendor has a few minutes to discuss their "career progression" with you. I knew a girl who runs a brow bar, she had to put in a lot of time and work for a couple of years but now spends little time there and still gets the same sort of income from it, because she's made it enough to employ some underlings.

He's fine with it. We've discussed it before and he's okay with me working part time. Why would it put you off?

Thanks for the tips though, that is a really good thing to try
Reply 174
He's fine with it. We've discussed it before and he's okay with me working part time. Why would it put you off?

Thanks for the tips though, that is a really good thing to try

I would expect my partner to contribute as equally financially as possible. I've discussed it with my boyfriend of over 3 years, and we've both said that we basically expect each other to take some hits for financial gain:
- do jobs we don't enjoy if the alternative is not working or a significantly lower salary
- work full-time hours unless pay is so good that part-time is feasible
Whilst I wouldn't mind if I somehow ended up earning £100k and my bf was on £25k or something, I wouldn't want him to not work or work a job earning only £15k if he could realistically be getting more than that, I would expect him to do what was needed to earn that much. And the same in return.
I just don't think it's fair not to work as hard as your partner and enjoy more beneftis from their career than from your own. It would probably be different if one of us had a career we really loved AND paid well enough to support the two of us, but unless that happens, I just don't think I could deal with either allowing my bf to carry me, or with carrying him.
Original post by Katie_p
I would expect my partner to contribute as equally financially as possible. I've discussed it with my boyfriend of over 3 years, and we've both said that we basically expect each other to take some hits for financial gain:
- do jobs we don't enjoy if the alternative is not working or a significantly lower salary
- work full-time hours unless pay is so good that part-time is feasible
Whilst I wouldn't mind if I somehow ended up earning £100k and my bf was on £25k or something, I wouldn't want him to not work or work a job earning only £15k if he could realistically be getting more than that, I would expect him to do what was needed to earn that much. And the same in return.
I just don't think it's fair not to work as hard as your partner and enjoy more beneftis from their career than from your own. It would probably be different if one of us had a career we really loved AND paid well enough to support the two of us, but unless that happens, I just don't think I could deal with either allowing my bf to carry me, or with carrying him.

But you can contribute in other ways? For example I'm much better at cooking and decorating than my boyfriend, so I wouldn't expect him to do that? I see your point but I don't think it's all about finance.

My mum's always worked part time and my dad's always worked full time

oh, those things that EVERYONE else does without having to resort to the lazy option of working part time for no reason.
But you can contribute in other ways? For example I'm much better at cooking and decorating than my boyfriend, so I wouldn't expect him to do that? I see your point but I don't think it's all about finance.

Those things won't pay the bills or keep a roof over your head.

But her boyfriend will pay for everything, that means its alright?

Right?

:angry:
Original post by tehforum
oh, those things that EVERYONE else does without having to resort to the lazy option of working part time for no reason.

Because having different priorities makes someone lazy. To be honest you just seem really bitter.

So? They're still necessary. That's why he's going to work full time and I'm not. There are tihngs I'm better at and things he's better at

This forum is full of academic types who hate anyone who isn't..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending