The Student Room Group

Forensic Psychology

Anyone reading Forensic psychology? I am considering this as my degree in 2015, but wondered what people think and have found it.

anything appreciated as I'm old now and the education system has changed far too much for my liking.
Reply 1
Generally, as a science, forensics is considered as a "dead" science. If you were to do that degree, there are VERY limited jobs at the moment. You are probably better off with just a psychology degree if I'm honest.

By doing "forensic psychology," you will be limiting your choices considering it's too specific when looking for a job. But with a single honours in psychology, you can choose afterwards to do anything along the lines of occupational, health, clincal and so on.

You can also go into forensics after your psychology course, so that way, you will almost have a "back up" degree which allows you to apply for other jobs if you decide to change your mind.

Coming from experience, it would be wise to have done something psychology-related before so you know what you're getting into. A lot of people think psychology to be something interesting as you're looking into someone's mind and behaviour (and it is, I'm not saying it isn't.) However, people don't realise the work behind it such as research, in depth data analysis, research methods, and reading into case studies, experiements and different methods.

Good degree choices are always changing as the availability of jobs decline. At the end of the day, just choose something which you'll know you'll be happy with studying in order to get the best level of degree you can.

Good luck and take care. :smile:
Reply 2
I did start psychology as an a level years ago when it was still a humanities subject but dropped out. I'm now on an access part time(joy of children), and doing criminology this year, and most likely psychology and biology next year. At 34 I've now just got the enthusiasm to actually study. The thing is with me is I have to be interested in it to do it. When I was doing a levels at the normal age, I wanted to be a journalist. I'm open in regards to jobs, I did 11 years in finance in the MoD, but hated it. So even if a degree gets me a decent pen pusher job in anything, I'm happy. I've only got GCSEs so jobs are a hard thing at the moment to find in any field. Ive got to stay on track and get merit or above for everything though otherwise it's a likely criminology based degree. Thus far it's going well, even the critical thinking module which bored me to tears yet I pulled off a merit. And I'm far more a Cracker fan than a CSI one. I'm the only person in the class not have watched CSI. Or Dexter. Give me Morse any day!!!
Reply 3
Original post by Kenpr79
I did start psychology as an a level years ago when it was still a humanities subject but dropped out. I'm now on an access part time(joy of children), and doing criminology this year, and most likely psychology and biology next year. At 34 I've now just got the enthusiasm to actually study. The thing is with me is I have to be interested in it to do it. When I was doing a levels at the normal age, I wanted to be a journalist. I'm open in regards to jobs, I did 11 years in finance in the MoD, but hated it. So even if a degree gets me a decent pen pusher job in anything, I'm happy. I've only got GCSEs so jobs are a hard thing at the moment to find in any field. Ive got to stay on track and get merit or above for everything though otherwise it's a likely criminology based degree. Thus far it's going well, even the critical thinking module which bored me to tears yet I pulled off a merit. And I'm far more a Cracker fan than a CSI one. I'm the only person in the class not have watched CSI. Or Dexter. Give me Morse any day!!!

It really sounds like you are enthusiastic about the subject from the way you write. I think, personally, that you should pursue forensic psychology in that case if you are truly determined in doing so. It's important to do something that you enjoy because then you don't mind putting in the extra effort and going that extra mile.

I really hope everything goes well for you! Take care :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks. Just hoping I'm choosing the right degree for me!!!!! Just be interesting for anyone who has done it, what they think/thought of it and where it has got them if completed. I'm quite excited at the prospect of Uni! but feel very old at the same time
Reply 5
Hi,

I did .single honours psychology as a mature student.

I would spend some time looking at the difference in syllabuses between forensic psych and psych. I did quite a bit if forensics as part of my degree.

My feeling is that straight psych would open up more opportunities than forensic psych. Also if you did want to perhaps think of being a. Forensic psychologist (a tiny number choose this route!) a recognised straight psychology bachelors would suffice.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending