The Student Room Group

I'm in love with someone online. Is this wrong? But it feels like love!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by John0020
There seemed to be an air of familiarity in your first comment, so that made me think you may have experienced something similar? And because you were also optimistic, I guess I just thought maybe you have something positive to say on online relationships transitioning into 'actually meeting'.

I was in an online relationship before for a while. Yes it does transition into meeting up, but not in all cases. Just depends. But nothing is impossible, although before meeting up I'd skype with them at least like for 2 times ...
Reply 21
Yeah I think she is uncomfortable to go on camera? suppose many people are? Yeah I've sent her a message to meet up asap, so fingers crossed :smile:

Rookie mistake. Do you have irrefutable proof that the person you're talking to is indeed the person in the picture?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
I'm serious about the relationship. Not so serious about catfish if that's what you meant? Just humoring the situation i guess...

No. I mean if you understood the term catfish you should be a lot more concerned than you appear to be of her unwillingness to go on camera.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I think she is uncomfortable to go on camera? suppose many people are? Yeah I've sent her a message to meet up asap, so fingers crossed :smile:

Don't set yourself up for huge dissapointment.

It's like this:

When you read a book, you have to use your imagination which can and does run wild because there is nothing to stop that from happening.

Then you see the movie and it's, ughhh. Because it's someone elses reality you are now seeing and that will never compare with your own imagination.

Internet reationships are exactly like this x2. Because it's a two way street and either of you can be easily dissapointed with the other when you finally meet.

It's fun and exciting all the same. Just don't get your hopes up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Alpha brah
Fair enough if that's the case; it's ridiculously easy to take a picture of someone who's using a webcam these days, which is why she may be understandably hesitant about using one. You should defo meet her ASAP, though; good luck with doing so. :smile:

Well assuming they're just talking face-to-face and not naked-to-naked, why would her hesitance be understandable? Oh no, somebody took a screenshot of my face talking on webcam, my life is over!
Reply 25
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Well assuming they're just talking face-to-face and not naked-to-naked, why would her hesitance be understandable? Oh no, somebody took a screenshot of my face talking on webcam, my life is over!

People have been cyberbullied over less.
Reply 26
Original post by ChocoholicCox
Umm I think you should tell her to get a new web cam or to fix her broken one so she can prove she is real and not turn out to be a guy. But yeah seems like u found ur true love but i hope for ur sake its not a guy :P

Thanks I will :smile: Just been asking a friend for advice too, however she told me to contact catfish as well!?! I literally just been watching some of the shows and it did get me worried. I messaged Sam (the girl I'm in a relationship with) and she just found the whole catfish thing hilarious, so that reassured me.
Reply 27
Original post by Caedus
Rookie mistake. Do you have irrefutable proof that the person you're talking to is indeed the person in the picture?

No I don't. I want to say that I know for sure, but I don't :confused:
I think you should ask her to go on Skype with you... I think it's incredibly strange that you haven't done that in 9 months...
Reply 29
My only advice is to think with your head, not your desires.
Reply 30
No I don't. I want to say that I know for sure, but I don't :confused:

Well don't attempt to meet this person. This actually reminds me of a chap from school who fell in love with one of his male friends who posed as a girl on MSN, the poor bastard was ridiculed for months. I actually attend Glasgow Uni so if it wasn't creepy and stalkerish I would actually help you. I believe your best bet, however, is to attain proof of this person's identity by insisting on the use of a web cam.
Original post by Alpha brah
In b4 this "girl" is actually a guy :tongue:

If her webcam doesn't work/she's uncomfortable with talking on it fair enough, but I would at least meet up ASAP. If she turns out not to exist you'll at least get a day trip to Glasgow :borat:

:wink:
Reply 32
I actually met my girlfriend on here, and it was the same situation, same outlook, interests, mindset, plus she's *unbelievably* pretty. :P

We both stalked each other into the ground to find out if the other was real, I'm just glad she was trusting enough to let me have her number!

I reccomend trying to give her a call or something, I was super nervous if we didn't get on in person, but the call (and subsequent skypeing/actually meeting up) eased my nerves to no end. If you're really open with each other, it shouldn't be too bad! I really hope she's real OP :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
:wink:

Ahahaha you got me sis :colondollar: "Ladies who lift" crew checking in

I also agree with what the guy above said (adding useful part to post so mods don't get pissy)
Reply 34
Original post by Caedus
Well don't attempt to meet this person. This actually reminds me of a chap from school who fell in love with one of his male friends who posed as a girl on MSN, the poor bastard was ridiculed for months. I actually attend Glasgow Uni so if it wasn't creepy and stalkerish I would actually help you. I believe your best bet, however, is to attain proof of this person's identity by insisting on the use of a web cam.

a friend has just sent me this :ashamed2: twitter.com/uk_catfish
Reply 35
Original post by Holby_fanatic
I think you should ask her to go on Skype with you... I think it's incredibly strange that you haven't done that in 9 months...

I guess it is strange. At the time it wasn't, but I'm been seeking a lot of advice and it seems odd to me now
I guess it is strange. At the time it wasn't, but I'm been seeking a lot of advice and it seems odd to me now

It is a bit weird, and I do feel bad telling you that. I met my boyfriend online and if he wasn't ever going to Skype me for whatever reason before we met I'd think something was up. Like you, we did speak every day before we met but I wasn't at all nervous when I met him for the first time, probably because we'd seen each other's faces and heard each other's voices. It wasn't uncomfortable or awkward because we'd both been ourselves.

I think it's hard to keep up the pretense for so long when you are on webcam because you don't have time to think of replies and once you've said something, you can't just press backspace and it will all disappear. Just ask her to go on webcam one day. I hope it does work out for you because it is hard!
Reply 37
a friend has just sent me this :ashamed2: twitter.com/uk_catfish

You've been had.
Reply 38
Original post by Caedus
You've been had.

what do you mean exactly?
Reply 39
what do you mean exactly?

Do I really have to spell this out for you? Your friend is likely your secret lover.

Quick Reply