The Student Room Group

Applying to university with AS Levels

It's a long & complicated story so here's the cliffs

Started college aged 18, got A-A-B-B in Business/Economics/Socio/Psycho

Decided to try for medical school and restarted AS at aged 19 in bio/chem/english but dropped out in January after 4 months

I'm in a job I HATE at a warehouse and i'm scared i'm going to stuck in a crappy situation my whole life because I messed my qualifications up.

Too old to rejoin college

I do have some extenuating cicumstances which explain some of my situation and I was looking at foundation courses, has anybody successfully got into university without A Levels? What are my chances of getting an offer?
Reply 1
Why did you drop out the second time if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 2
Either do a foundation year/degree or retake some A levels.

Of course it depends on what subject you want to study at uni??
Reply 3
Original post by Nitrogen
Why did you drop out the second time if you don't mind me asking?

I wasn't told until right before starting that they were letting me do AS bio/chem/eng and I was totally ill prepared, the work stacked up and so did the stress, I stopped eating for a while & lost quite a lot of weight. There's more too it but generally and overload of work and decline of health.

Edit: I am interested in studying business (got full marks in both AS tests) and economics. But I am very open to courses which may suit me better as I have learnt it's all about job satisfaction and not pay.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm not sure if you could get onto even a foundation course with just ASes. Your best bet might be to do an access course if you can't complete your a-levels.
Reply 5
Original post by MasonM
I wasn't told until right before starting that they were letting me do AS bio/chem/eng and I was totally ill prepared, the work stacked up and so did the stress, I stopped eating for a while & lost quite a lot of weight. There's more too it but generally and overload of work and decline of health.

Edit: I am interested in studying business (got full marks in both AS tests) and economics. But I am very open to courses which may suit me better as I have learnt it's all about job satisfaction and not pay.

Oh I see. What type of universities are you looking for?
Reply 6
Oh I see. What type of universities are you looking for?

So far i've visited my friends in Manchester and Leeds university. By 'type' i'm not 100% sure what you mean but both uni's seem to have a really good social aspect which is one of my priorities along with facilities etc, I would prefer it to be within 1-2 hours of Manchester but with my situation i'll take wherever I can get.
Reply 7
Original post by MasonM
So far i've visited my friends in Manchester and Leeds university. By 'type' i'm not 100% sure what you mean but both uni's seem to have a really good social aspect which is one of my priorities along with facilities etc, I would prefer it to be within 1-2 hours of Manchester but with my situation i'll take wherever I can get.

I've found you a few courses and you might want to have a look at them.

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/ba_hons_business_foundation_year_entry.php
http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2014/11369/
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/coursefinder/21289/BSc_Business_Studies_With_Foundation_Year

Unfortunately you'll have to do a foundation year if you want you go to university. UCLan specifies that to join their course you should be 21 or above when you enrol, but they did say that they do make exceptions, so email them about your circumstances and hopefully you'll get a positive reply.

MMU say they want 160 UCAS points at A2, but you already have that at AS. The best thing to do is to email them. They're not a competitive uni, so don't worry too much.

For Leeds you have fit 2 of the requirements that they state on the web page that I've provided you the link with.
Reply 8
I've found you a few courses and you might want to have a look at them.

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/ba_hons_business_foundation_year_entry.php
http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2014/11369/
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/coursefinder/21289/BSc_Business_Studies_With_Foundation_Year

Unfortunately you'll have to do a foundation year if you want you go to university. UCLan specifies that to join their course you should be 21 or above when you enrol, but they did say that they do make exceptions, so email them about your circumstances and hopefully you'll get a positive reply.

MMU say they want 160 UCAS points at A2, but you already have that at AS. The best thing to do is to email them. They're not a competitive uni, so don't worry too much.

For Leeds you have fit 2 of the requirements that they state on the web page that I've provided you the link with.

I really appreciate the time & effort you put into helping me.

From what i've gathered I think I should look at some uni courses (have tonnes of prospectus's), workout all my grades/points (I didn't mention this but I have a B A-Level in Business as I sat 1 exam in Jan/June) and email my posibile choices explaining my situation and finally weigh up my options to make my 5 applications.

If all else fails I will apply for an access course with a local college in September.
Reply 9
Original post by MasonM
I really appreciate the time & effort you put into helping me.

From what i've gathered I think I should look at some uni courses (have tonnes of prospectus's), workout all my grades/points (I didn't mention this but I have a B A-Level in Business as I sat 1 exam in Jan/June) and email my posibile choices explaining my situation and finally weigh up my options to make my 5 applications.

If all else fails I will apply for an access course with a local college in September.

Your UCAS points are fine it's just that nearly every university asks for the UCAS points to be gained from A2's. You could look into the links I've provided you, especially Leeds if you fit the requirements. I'd understand if you don't want to a foundation year since it'll cost some money doing the foundation year.

Doing the access course is a good idea. You could study your AS to A2 instead though.
Reply 10
Your UCAS points are fine it's just that nearly every university asks for the UCAS points to be gained from A2's. You could look into the links I've provided you, especially Leeds if you fit the requirements. I'd understand if you don't want to a foundation year since it'll cost some money doing the foundation year.

Doing the access course is a good idea. You could study your AS to A2 instead though.

I couldn't find anywhere who would let an adult finish half a course. I wouldn't mind paying for the foundation year, for personal reasons I need to move away from home and get into a new environment so it suits me fine :smile:.
Reply 11
Original post by MasonM
I couldn't find anywhere who would let an adult finish half a course. I wouldn't mind paying for the foundation year, for personal reasons I need to move away from home and get into a new environment so it suits me fine :smile:.

You could sit the remaining exams as a private candidate. Anyway good luck with your future plans!
Reply 12
I think it would be possible for you to finish your a/s levels off. Look for a local college and ask them if you can carry those subjects on.

im 19 going 20 in my a2 year. There are people doing a levels aged 16-37 here (quite a few in their mid 20s and one person is 37).

age isn't a barrier. I would advise you do it properly and wait even another year if that's what it takes rather than rushing into the first place that accepts you.

AABB at AS are top grades where you can get into good unis for good courses.
Reply 13
Original post by goonermk
I think it would be possible for you to finish your a/s levels off. Look for a local college and ask them if you can carry those subjects on.

im 19 going 20 in my a2 year. There are people doing a levels aged 16-37 here (quite a few in their mid 20s and one person is 37).

age isn't a barrier. I would advise you do it properly and wait even another year if that's what it takes rather than rushing into the first place that accepts you.

AABB at AS are top grades where you can get into good unis for good courses.

Unfortunately most courses start in September so i'd have to start next year unless I studied at home but i'm unsure how I would get predicted grades for my UCAS application. I shall research it tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending