The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSR561
So we should hear by the first week of December?

You should hear something a week before the scheduled interview period for your subject (if not before.) We talk about this here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/how_to_apply/interviews.html
Original post by hilbert_spaces
Hi, would the MAT requirement for applicants who have already started university study elsewhere be completely different?
I had 4 midterms and a programming contest right before the MAT. Thus I was so exhausted during the test, and didn't do well. I think my score would only be around 80 or so.

Original post by Noble.
Yes, for those who already have their grades in hand you'll be compared more to the cohort of students who are accepted as opposed to the applicants. Also, as you had already started university, you'll be expected to do better as well - however, a score of 80 is more than fine even under these circumstances.

What Noble said :-)
Reply 1582
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
Some years someone gets full marks. But not this year.

I see... I'm curious regarding how high the maximum score went this year (especially as the average is so low), but I guess I'll just have to control myself. Every bit of information that I get makes me nervous about my own performance, and it's probably a similar experience for most candidates. Getting to know that the test had a mean of 45, for example, made me rather sure that I was probably overestimating my own score. Can't wait for January! :smile:
Is there any flexibility regarding the scheduling of Skype interviews for international students, by the way? I'm somewhat anxious as I get report cards (13th Dec) and answer sheets (11th Dec) in school (which will make it very difficult to miss school on those dates) and I'll be at a campus in a different city for a few days (6th to 10th Dec) where I'll hopefully have decent internet, but I'm not entirely sure. If I do get an interview and there's no issue at first but some technical problem comes up while it's going on, am I doomed? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik
I see... I'm curious regarding how high the maximum score went this year (especially as the average is so low), but I guess I'll just have to control myself. Every bit of information that I get makes me nervous about my own performance, and it's probably a similar experience for most candidates.
Just sit tight and try to relax. (I know it's easy for me to say.)

Original post by souktik
Is there any flexibility regarding the scheduling of Skype interviews for international students, by the way? I'm somewhat anxious as I get report cards (13th Dec) and answer sheets (11th Dec) in school (which will make it very difficult to miss school on those dates) and I'll be at a campus in a different city for a few days (6th to 10th Dec) where I'll hopefully have decent internet, but I'm not entirely sure. If I do get an interview and there's no issue at first but some technical problem comes up while it's going on, am I doomed? :frown:

First up the tutors are trying to get the best out of you. To get a fair idea of what you can do. We do lots of skype interviews. On the rare occasion there are technical issues they aren't going to hold that against you. They will find a way round it.

Timing really depends on the college and the availability of the interviewers. If it's a joint honours course that becomes more complicated still - but I think you said somewhere you were going for straight Maths? There will be a bit of flexibility. Seriously, relax. :-)
Reply 1584
Just sit tight and try to relax. (I know it's easy for me to say.)

First up the tutors are trying to get the best out of you. To get a fair idea of what you can do. We do lots of skype interviews. On the rare occasion there are technical issues they aren't going to hold that against you. They will find a way round it.

Timing really depends on the college and the availability of the interviewers. If it's a joint honours course that becomes more complicated still - but I think you said somewhere you were going for straight Maths? There will be a bit of flexibility. Seriously, relax. :-)

Yeah, I have applied for straight Maths to St John's College. I'll talk to the college if and when a Skype interview offer arrives, then. And thanks, I'll try to relax. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1585
What Noble said :-)

So if I'm taking a gap year and I've graduated in 2013 and already received my final grades, will I be expected to score higher in the MAT?
What I did for question 2 last part:
Let f(t) = at^3 + bt ^2 + ct + d
f(1-t) = a(1-t)^3 + b(1-t)^2 + c(1-t) + d

Then expand g(t) and f(t) + f(1-t) and compare coefficients to get a, b, c, d and hence f(t).

I think that should do (at least I got a polynomial for f(t) ), any comments?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1587
Original post by kapur
So if I'm taking a gap year and I've graduated in 2013 and already received my final grades, will I be expected to score higher in the MAT?

Yes, that's what I said, or implied at least. You have nothing to worry about with a score of 80 though. 80 is the kind of score where it's difficult to say "Well... it isn't 90 or 95" because generally when you're getting to the 80+ scores, luck plays a role in terms of the questions on the paper and silly mistakes.
Original post by kapur

Not really. It depends on what you were doing during that year. If it was a year full of Maths-education then yes, a bit higher. Otherwise, not really. There's no hard and fast rule.
Reply 1589
Skype interview invitation from St John's! I feel so relieved! :dance:
Reply 1590
Original post by souktik

Cong!!!!!!When will your be interviewed?
Original post by souktik
Well done :-)
Reply 1592
Original post by yxcai
Cong!!!!!!When will your be interviewed?

Most interviews for overseas candidates will be held on the week beginning from the 9th of December. That's what the email from St John's College said. But I won't be available on the 9th and the 10th, so that's a bit of an issue. Trying to sort out the details now. I also don't know if my school will be able to get me a proper interview environment or if I'll have to do it from home. They prefer school, so I hope my school is able to help.
Reply 1593
Well done :-)

I'm already busy obsessing over every technical thing that can go wrong, but thank you! :tongue:
I didn't get any reply from Lincoln yet. Does that mean I'm rejected already?
Reply 1595
Original post by journeyinwards
I didn't get any reply from Lincoln yet. Does that mean I'm rejected already?

Which part of this thread made you even think that? Everyone gets feedback whether it's an interview or rejection, calm down.
Original post by TSR561
Which part of this thread made you even think that? Everyone gets feedback whether it's an interview or rejection, calm down.

Oh, I thought you have to just wait for an email. I equated the absence of an email from Lincoln to rejection :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik

Congratulations! :smile: did you get an email or was it displayed on ucas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1598
Original post by revelry26
Congratulations! :smile: did you get an email or was it displayed on ucas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll get an email. The only time UCAS updates for Oxford is after the new year to reflect an offer or rejection (if I recall correctly)

Try not to panic, the university doesn't give out interview invites all at once so there's absolutely no reasons to worry just because some people have received invites :smile:
Original post by Noble.
You'll get an email. The only time UCAS updates for Oxford is after the new year to reflect an offer or rejection (if I recall correctly)

Try not to panic, the university doesn't give out interview invites all at once so there's absolutely no reasons to worry just because some people have received invites :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
I shall try not to panic :smile: . Do colleges send out invitations according to their own independent schedules or do all of them coordinate and send out invitationsfor one subject all at once and then move on to the next one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending