The Student Room Group

How many rejections did you recieve before securing a TC?

How many TCs and VSs did you apply for?
I guess I just need some encouragement on not getting disheartened :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Vacation Schemes (for the summer of 2012, eventual 2014 entry):
30 applications:
- 13 interviews
- 8 offers

(I should add that I got my first interview call after 12 straight rejections)

Training Contracts (for 2014 entry):
4 applications:
- 2 interviews
- 1 offer
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by arrowhead
Vacation Schemes (for the summer of 2012, eventual 2014 entry):
30 applications:
- 13 interviews
- 8 offers

(I should add that I got my first interview call after 12 straight rejections)

Training Contracts (for 2014 entry):
4 applications:
- 2 interviews
- 1 offer

A little off topic, but how have you found the importance of VSs in securing a TC when compared to say, Banking where the majority of their summer interns end up with grad offers? Is it common for people to have their VS somewhere and feel confident to apply elsewhere in there search for a TC? I'm aware that it probably varies between firms, but I'm interested in what the consensus is.
Reply 4
Zero.
Reply 5
Original post by Selym95
A little off topic, but how have you found the importance of VSs in securing a TC when compared to say, Banking where the majority of their summer interns end up with grad offers? Is it common for people to have their VS somewhere and feel confident to apply elsewhere in there search for a TC? I'm aware that it probably varies between firms, but I'm interested in what the consensus is.

I can't speak in general terms since I only really have my own experiences to speak of. From the 8 VSes I was offered, I completed 5 of them (one during the following winter). I received 5/5 training contract offers from all of them.

2/4 extra TC applications I wrote were for firms that had rejected me for VSes before and I was very keen on them, so I applied to them again. The other two extra TC apps I made were for firms that I really liked a lot, but did not want to risk a VS rejection from as I had heard a VS rejection from one of them pretty much puts a black mark against your name when it comes to future applications unless something substantial about your application changes. So I applied to the other two for TCs only.

VSes are exceedingly useful in securing TCs, some would argue instrumental, but there are many, many trainees who have gotten TCs from firms that didn't even interview them for a VS. A lot of that has to do with competition in that competition for VSes can be much more fierce at times.

If you're interested in anecdotal evidence, of all the people I know of who did VSes in my year (that's about 20-odd people), every single one of them got at least one TC offer from their respective VS firms. Many firms openly tell you that they give offers to 70-90% of their VS students every year (How many of those offers are accepted is a different discussion stat altogether).
Reply 6
Original post by Selym95

Varies from firm to firm, extreme end is Nabarro or Capsticks where basically no VS means no TC, but most firms I've talked to said in the region of 50-60% of their trainees had done the VS. If you go on ChambersStudent's 'How to get into....' sections they usually give a very good summary of exactly what that firm's stance is re. VS.

A key thing to remember with them I think is that there are 2 main types of VS student, those with one or maybe 2 who are really trying to impress the firm and those with 3 or 4 and loads of offers whom the firm is trying to impress, the latter meaning there are usually a significant number of straight to TC spots open. Also of course, some vac schemers who are just ****heads who the firm decides they don't want after all!

Original post by SoftPunch
Zero.

Aren't you still at school?!

OP I got about 8 I think before I got an offer, but I've heard of people on the LPC with 40 odd.
Reply 7
Original post by Le Nombre

Aren't you still at school?!

OP I got about 8 I think before I got an offer, but I've heard of people on the LPC with 40 odd.

That's why I said zero :wink:
Ah, so you're alright :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by SoftPunch
That's why I said zero :wink:
Ah, so you're alright :tongue:

Would also suggest you've 'secured a TC'.... :K:

Yeah, and lucky!
Reply 9
x

Thanks for the anecdotes.

That's very interesting about being seen negatively if you aren't successful in the VS stages. I guess it's just another way to filter out suspected weaker candidates. If you weren't good enough last year, why will you be now?

Original post by Le Nombre
x

Of course, I imagine the student has to show that they are competent. I hadn't even considered until now how relevant the student's performance in the VS would be. Would a firm really remember / be able to distinguish between their students who performed well and those who didn't particularly, and if so, would this have any significant bearing on who they gave TC offers to?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
I'm not putting a number on it, but 96% of my apps resulted in rejections. Actually, worse than that, some firms just never bothered to reply to me. :dontknow:
Original post by Selym95
That's very interesting about being seen negatively if you aren't successful in the VS stages. I guess it's just another way to filter out suspected weaker candidates. If you weren't good enough last year, why will you be now?

Well, a lot can change. You could have, for example, gotten a mediocre 2:1 in your first-year, with which you applied for a VS. But you could have gotten a couple of Firsts and high 2:1s in your second-year modules, infinitely increasing your chances in your second round of apps.

Original post by Selym95
Of course, I imagine the student has to show that they are competent. I hadn't even considered until now how relevant the student's performance in the VS would be. Would a firm really remember / be able to distinguish between their students who performed well and those who didn't particularly, and if so, would this have any significant bearing on who they gave TC offers to?

Almost all VSes have a guaranteed TC interview at the end of the two- or three-week period. It's part of the deal.
Original post by Selym95

Yes, you and maybe a couple of other VS students at most are usually attached to a trainee or NQ throughout, and that trainee will report back to HR on whether or not you're what the firm's looking for (in fact you could end up having me, Arrowhead or Tortious doing it :colone:). Also, as Arrowhead said there's usually the partner interview for a TC at the end, which they'll take notes of as usual.
Reply 13
Applying for VS in January 2011:
Total applications - 4
Interviews - 1
VS Secured - 0

Applying for TC July 2011:
Total applications - 8
Interviews - 0

Applying for VS in January 2012:
Total applications - 6
Interviews - 1
VS Secured - 1

VS completed summer 2012 - TC offered

I know I probably applied to less than most but it only takes one.
Reply 14
Original post by EC2
Applying for VS in January 2011:
Total applications - 4
Interviews - 1
VS Secured - 0

Applying for TC July 2011:
Total applications - 8
Interviews - 0

Applying for VS in January 2012:
Total applications - 6
Interviews - 1
VS Secured - 1

VS completed summer 2012 - TC offered

I know I probably applied to less than most but it only takes one.

interesting to see you didn't get any interviews for TCs in 2011. Did you have much legal experience when you applied?
Am I right in thinking that although VSs are more competitive, they tend to take on people with less legal experience?
I applied for 2 VSs and got offered 1 VS. (I also applied for other internships albeit not law-related.)
I was then offered a TC offer on the back of the VS.
Reply 16
Original post by cognito_08
I applied for 2 VSs and got offered 1 VS. (I also applied for other internships albeit not law-related.)
I was then offered a TC offer on the back of the VS.

Wow you got a pretty easy ride! What did you do during your VS to make you stand out?
Reply 17
Original post by Tortious
I'm not putting a number on it, but 96% of my apps resulted in rejections. Actually, worse than that, some firms just never bothered to reply to me. :dontknow:

Have you got a TC now?
Original post by MadeThisUp
Wow you got a pretty easy ride! What did you do during your VS to make you stand out?

I think over 90% of the intake of Vac Schemers got TC offers so I don't think I necessarily stood out. My advice is to just work hard; always take opportunites and offers of work. :smile:
Well, a lot can change. You could have, for example, gotten a mediocre 2:1 in your first-year, with which you applied for a VS. But you could have gotten a couple of Firsts and high 2:1s in your second-year modules, infinitely increasing your chances in your second round of apps.

Almost all VSes have a guaranteed TC interview at the end of the two- or three-week period. It's part of the deal.

Sorry to interject, but even from a cursory glance you appear to have done very well in securing TCs. What would you mainly attribute that to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending