The Student Room Group

Total resistance question

Hi all, I'm just wondering am I doing this question on my homework correct so far? I wasn't sure whether or not I should include the internal resistance of the battery when calculating the total resistance of the circuit. I don't include the resistance of the resistor at that point because the circuit leading to the resistor is broken, right? Thanks!

IMG_1411.jpg
Original post by Marcum
Hi all, I'm just wondering am I doing this question on my homework correct so far? I wasn't sure whether or not I should include the internal resistance of the battery when calculating the total resistance of the circuit. I don't include the resistance of the resistor at that point because the circuit leading to the resistor is broken, right? Thanks!

IMG_1411.jpg

You must include the internal resistance.
The 3 resistors (lamps) are in parallel.
This is the external circuit.
The combined resistance for these 3 is in series with the internal resistance of the cell.
Reply 2
Original post by Stonebridge
You must include the internal resistance.
The 3 resistors (lamps) are in parallel.
This is the external circuit.
The combined resistance for these 3 is in series with the internal resistance of the cell.

Ah, thank you! I got 1.68 Ohms for the total resistance, does that look correct to you?
For the second question I did
V=IR
I =V/R
I = 12/1.68
I = 7.14 A
Is that correct?
Reply 3
Original post by Marcum
Ah, thank you! I got 1.68 Ohms for the total resistance, does that look correct to you?
For the second question I did
V=IR
I =V/R
I = 12/1.68
I = 7.14 A
Is that correct?

Those are correct.

Quick Reply

Latest